The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Masters - Conservation Ecology

A long shot, but calling anyone who will be studying MSc Conservation Ecology 2019.
Yeah! Can’t wait to start.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Me! Stumbled on this by accident :-D Be nice to hear from people before starting.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Surprised I managed to get a few responses! Studying at OBU will be very interesting for me, I think, as I come from University Centre Sparsholt, a rural and very much more 'natural' campus. I've no idea how many people will be on the MSc, nor what the age range/experience gaps will be like. I assume it'll be quite diverse. We'll see!

Edit: Anyone else a little surprised the welcome talk is only 30 mins long and then we're off on a field trip? Would quite like to know a bit more about the course and how it all works, really.
(edited 4 years ago)
When I went to the open day last year they said the average number of students on the course is 12-18, and there'll probably be a variety of ages too- I'm 35- as they said it's quite popular with people changing careers. I think it should be a really interesting and varied group! From what I saw, the campus is really nice, and the countryside around it is beautiful- it was a big plus for me as I'm definitely not a city person!
Reply 5
Original post by Nearwildhelen
When I went to the open day last year they said the average number of students on the course is 12-18, and there'll probably be a variety of ages too- I'm 35- as they said it's quite popular with people changing careers. I think it should be a really interesting and varied group! From what I saw, the campus is really nice, and the countryside around it is beautiful- it was a big plus for me as I'm definitely not a city person!

Ah, excellent. A change from my last course's average, then, since most were early twenties and one was 34. Not that I'm that old--I'm only 25. I very recently completed my BSc in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation (after a countryside management diploma at the same Uni/College) and was thinking of going straight into consultancy, but since I performed pretty well at undergrad I thought I should give higher level research a try. I suspect I may be one of the youngest on the course and many will already be professionals in the field. I missed out on the open days and was a bit late in my application, submitting it at the very end of July. I did do one of the campus tours a few days ago though. Impressive place.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TaylorH93
Ah, excellent. A change from my last course's average, then, since most were early twenties and one was 34. Not that I'm that old--I'm only 25. I very recently completed my BSc in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation (after a countryside management diploma at the same Uni/College) and was thinking of going straight into consultancy, but since I performed pretty well at undergrad I thought I should give higher level research a try. I suspect I may be one of the youngest on the course and many will already be professionals in the field. I missed out on the open days and was a bit late in my application, submitting it at the very end of July. I did do one of the campus tours a few days ago though. Impressive place.

I'm the opposite to you- no academic background whatsoever having done a BA donkeys years ago, but I've been working in the field for the last few years. I think it's nice we'll all get to go out together- I guess there will be more talking there to find out more about the course and everyone's strengths.
Reply 7
Hey, I’m starting then too!

I was surprised about the short talk too but perhaps they’ll incorporate more of it into the field trip somehow.

I had the same wonders, class sizes and the age range. I’m 30. I just finished by BSc in Environmental Science with the OU— so I cant wait to actually meet some other students and people with similar interests and qualifications. That was an exhausting 6-year marathon so I am so glad to finally be done and onto the next thing!
Sounds like it'll be like a nice picnic in the countryside, no? 😄

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Reply 9
I completed online enrolment about a week ago and have just noticed that module registration is available on the website now. Has anyone else done this or will people wait for more information? It's not quite clear and seems to be contradictory to some of the information on the course page (which has now updated, it seems). Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
I completed online enrolment about a week ago and have just noticed that module registration is available on the website now. Has anyone else done this or will people wait for more information? Thanks.

I've kinda decided what modules I want to do, but I'm going to wait to hear more about them tomorrow before registering.
Reply 11
Yeah it's really confusing, which is another reason to wait- I did find something which divided the two pathways though, in the register modules at the bottom there are two sets of 'optional' modules- one is the international compulsory and the other is the EU. Which are you going for?

I deleted my message, the one you quoted, as I eventually got the gist of it and didn't want to flood the thread with questions (just fyi). There are still some things I'm a little unsure about, however. There doesn't seem to be any information on the 'independent study' unit, which might be interesting if it lets you direct your own learning on a subject of your choice. I'm leaning toward the EU/UK side of things as it's more familiar to me and aligns with some of my research interests. For the rest, I'm comfortable with GIS and Ecosystem Services. Mostly, I want to develop what I already know rather than broaden out. My course was heavily focused on surveys, identification and GIS. Less so on the biological techniques and lab aspects, e.g. molecular.

edit: Never mind, all unit info can be found within the system itself with some diligent looking.
(edited 4 years ago)
I deleted my message, the one you quoted, as I eventually got the gist of it and didn't want to flood the thread with questions (just fyi). There are still some things I'm a little unsure about, however. There doesn't seem to be any information on the 'independent study' unit, which might be interesting if it lets you direct your own learning on a subject of your choice. I'm leaning toward the EU/UK side of things as it's more familiar to me and aligns with some of my research interests. For the rest, I'm comfortable with GIS and Ecosystem Services. Mostly, I want to develop what I already know rather than broaden out. My course was heavily focused on surveys, identification and GIS. Less so on the biological techniques and lab aspects, e.g. molecular.

edit: Never mind, all unit info can be found within the system itself with some diligent looking.

That's cool, I'm doing the international pathway but also thinking to do the GIS module. See you tomorrow!
Reply 13
Nice meeting (almost) everyone today. I heard someone say they have/will start a Facebook group for the course. Is that still going ahead? Cheers. Also, would just like to ask if people can see all 3 compulsory units/modules on Moodle. I can only see Ecology for Conservation at the moment.
Reply 14
Anyone else having trouble finding room details, days and times for most modules? Little information on Moodle.
Anyone else having trouble finding room details, days and times for most modules? Little information on Moodle.

I think the room details are 'fluid' depending on numbers once everyone's registered. I have the module info if you want though? It has the days and times on for each. I've not been able to register yet as the modules I want don't seem to be there properly yet.
Reply 16
I think the room details are 'fluid' depending on numbers once everyone's registered. I have the module info if you want though? It has the days and times on for each. I've not been able to register yet as the modules I want don't seem to be there properly yet.

I've been able to find general module descriptions, but it's definitely the session details I'm struggling with. I'll paste an email I recently sent to Tim to save rewriting it.

" I did manage to find info for Eco Degradation (Gibbs 501) and for career development (JBH 404, I believe), but Moodle doesn't seem to have anything for Ecology for Conservation. Also, I'm not currently aware of the details for Taxonomy, e.g. time, room and day. The module booklet suggests it's Monday 1-4pm but that seems to clash with Ecology for Conservation. I've tried looking at the module registration schedule table for all this, but it only shows Eco Degradation right now."

Everything seems kind of up in the air right now and most of it's not on the system, at least for me. The main two things I need to figure out are the rooms for Ecology for Conservation and Career Dev since those are on Monday. I assume for Career Dev the room bookings PDF is the 'official' source for that? I feel like I'm missing some summary calendar that would make this a lot easier
I've been able to find general module descriptions, but it's definitely the session details I'm struggling with. I'll paste an email I recently sent to Tim to save rewriting it.

" I did manage to find info for Eco Degradation (Gibbs 501) and for career development (JBH 404, I believe), but Moodle doesn't seem to have anything for Ecology for Conservation. Also, I'm not currently aware of the details for Taxonomy, e.g. time, room and day. The module booklet suggests it's Monday 1-4pm but that seems to clash with Ecology for Conservation. I've tried looking at the module registration schedule table for all this, but it only shows Eco Degradation right now."

Everything seems kind of up in the air right now and most of it's not on the system, at least for me. The main two things I need to figure out are the rooms for Ecology for Conservation and Career Dev since those are on Monday. I assume for Career Dev the room bookings PDF is the 'official' source for that? I feel like I'm missing some summary calendar that would make this a lot easier

Don't stress about it- Tim did say he'd email us with the Monday rooms by Friday. The IT switchover has made everything a bit screwy I think. I'm pretty sure taxonomy and ecology for conservation are at the same time on alternate weeks, but wait for confirmation on that.
Reply 18
Don't stress about it- Tim did say he'd email us with the Monday rooms by Friday. The IT switchover has made everything a bit screwy I think. I'm pretty sure taxonomy and ecology for conservation are at the same time on alternate weeks, but wait for confirmation on that.

Oh! I must have missed that somehow. Okay. Will wait for more information. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending