The Student Room Group

Can I get into cambridge with the new AS level reform?

I got 1 9 (A**) in RS
5 8(A*)s in Maths, Chem, Biology, Physics and Latin
4 7(As) in English Lang, History, computer science and Further maths,
2 6s(Bs) in french and english lit.
I want to know if these grades are good enough for Cambridge and if they care about GCSES more now with you not being able to do AS LEVELS, or if they still view your predicted grade the same. Thank you so much.
Original post by Collan
I got 1 9 (A**) in RS
5 8(A*)s in Maths, Chem, Biology, Physics and Latin
4 7(As) in English Lang, History, computer science and Further maths,
2 6s(Bs) in french and english lit.
I want to know if these grades are good enough for Cambridge and if they care about GCSES more now with you not being able to do AS LEVELS, or if they still view your predicted grade the same. Thank you so much.

They do look at gcses, but no more so than they did before the reform. Predicted grades are your most important metric.

And besides, those gcses aren't THAT bad. They won't disadvantage you anyway. What subject are you after doing?
Reply 2
You really didn't need the conversion between A*-C and 9-4, everyone knows the equivalents by this point lol. I digress, your GCSEs are more than enough to get you into Cambridge, even for medicine. Your predictions (and entrance test performance) matter far, far more.
Reply 3
Original post by hoixw
You really didn't need the conversion between A*-C and 9-4, everyone knows the equivalents by this point lol. I digress, your GCSEs are more than enough to get you into Cambridge, even for medicine. Your predictions (and entrance test performance) matter far, far more.

Sorry for the late response, sixth form just started and has been doing wonders for my stress. Thank you for your reply, my school has just been very dramatic about the new reforms and needig a solid gcse average for unis now, just making everyone paranoid
Reply 4
Original post by MagnumKoishi
They do look at gcses, but no more so than they did before the reform. Predicted grades are your most important metric.

And besides, those gcses aren't THAT bad. They won't disadvantage you anyway. What subject are you after doing?

That gives me a lot of hope, thanks, and sorry for the late respsone, just started sixth form. I wanna do medicine in cambridge and I've heard how hard it is to get in for medicine any where, so I was just worried
Original post by Collan
That gives me a lot of hope, thanks, and sorry for the late respsone, just started sixth form. I wanna do medicine in cambridge and I've heard how hard it is to get in for medicine any where, so I was just worried

Cambridge are among the med schools that care LEAST about GCSEs: they focus much more on the BMAT and interview and you need to be expected to get A*A*A at A level and you should ideally be doing 3 science/maths subjects
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest