The Student Room Group

Advice on route to Uni

Hi, this is my first post and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask but thought I might get the most relevant advice. Unfortunately I missed a lot of school during third and fourth year resulting in me missing out on all of my National 5 exams apart from English. In fifth year I sat 3 National 5's and Higher English, I am now in sixth year and wondering what the best route would be for me to take to get into university. I know that I will have to go to college after sixth year to get the remaining highers that i need. I am wondering if it may be more beneficial to me to sit an HNC or something similar and how this may affect my chances of getting into university.
Thanks in advance for any advice. :smile:
aww i thought this as going to be about commuting lol, sorry I can't help but good luck and free bump!!
Original post by centraltrains
aww i thought this as going to be about commuting lol, sorry I can't help but good luck and free bump!!

aw aha, that's okay thanks though :smile:
What do you want to study at uni? You can try and apply for uni this year for 2020 entry, you may get conditional offers if you are sitting enough highers in the relevant subjects in S6, so you may not need to go to college to sit more highers. If you don't get into uni with conditional offers I would recommend doing an HNC, I would imagine sitting more highers in college wouldn't be much fun. Most HNCs will allow you to progress into year 1/2 of a university course, depending on what you are studying :smile: hope this helps!
(edited 4 years ago)
Most uni courses only require 4 highers, so if you already have higher english you can sit the remaining 3 in the national 5 subjects you took. :smile:
Original post by sixthyearstudent
Hi, this is my first post and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask but thought I might get the most relevant advice. Unfortunately I missed a lot of school during third and fourth year resulting in me missing out on all of my National 5 exams apart from English. In fifth year I sat 3 National 5's and Higher English, I am now in sixth year and wondering what the best route would be for me to take to get into university. I know that I will have to go to college after sixth year to get the remaining highers that i need. I am wondering if it may be more beneficial to me to sit an HNC or something similar and how this may affect my chances of getting into university.
Thanks in advance for any advice. :smile:

What are you doing this year? What would you like to study? As turtle has suggested, you may get enough highers this year to be able to start uni next year :smile:
Thanks for the replies, I would like to study Pharmacy/Pharmacology. Last year I sat N5 Biology, History and Maths. Unfortunately I failed my Maths exam so I am retaking it this year. I got an A in Biology which I am now taking at Higher. I have now taken N5 Chemistry which unfortunately I couldn't take before. I had originally planned to sit Higher History which I have now dropped to take an online OU course about medicine and drugs in relation to Chemistry.

So hopefully by the end of this year I will have, Higher English and Biology, the OU course which is either equivalent to a Higher or Adv Higher (unsure), and National 5 Maths, Chemistry and History. I am unsure if I will be able to get onto a college course with only N5 Maths and Chemistry.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
As your only doing 3 highers (including the OU course) I think college is best for you here. If you really want to do pharmacy/pharmacology I would research some colleges that have science courses that you like, that will allow you to progress onto pharmacy at uni. I'm not sure if only having N5 chemistry/maths will hinder you as for a lot of science HNCs you need higher chemistry, but the OU course you are doing might meet their requirements anyway. I would try emailing some colleges and asking some questions about their entry requirements and explaining your situation. Alternatively, you could crash higher chemistry this year, or take it in college next year and apply for uni then. It's up to you really, hope this has helped! :smile:

Original post by sixthyearstudent
Thanks for the replies, I would like to study Pharmacy/Pharmacology. Last year I sat N5 Biology, History and Maths. Unfortunately I failed my Maths exam so I am retaking it this year. I got an A in Biology which I am now taking at Higher. I have now taken N5 Chemistry which unfortunately I couldn't take before. I had originally planned to sit Higher History which I have now dropped to take an online OU course about medicine and drugs in relation to Chemistry.

So hopefully by the end of this year I will have, Higher English and Biology, the OU course which is either equivalent to a Higher or Adv Higher (unsure), and National 5 Maths, Chemistry and History. I am unsure if I will be able to get onto a college course with only N5 Maths and Chemistry.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by turtle.8
As your only doing 3 highers (including the OU course) I think college is best for you here. If you really want to do pharmacy/pharmacology I would research some colleges that have science courses that you like, that will allow you to progress onto pharmacy at uni. I'm not sure if only having N5 chemistry/maths will hinder you as for a lot of science HNCs you need higher chemistry, but the OU course you are doing might meet their requirements anyway. I would try emailing some colleges and asking some questions about their entry requirements and explaining your situation. Alternatively, you could crash higher chemistry this year, or take it in college next year and apply for uni then. It's up to you really, hope this has helped! :smile:

Yes thank you, it has. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending