The Student Room Group

Struggling with A Level German.

My brain has literally shut down and I'm in quite a pickle with this subject.

My teacher only speaks German now but my brain wants to have a meltdown everytime, I suck at listening so I feel embarrassed when she asks me what she said and I don't know at all.

Speaking is my worst one so far, I can't speak German! I really want to but I don't know what to do or how to improve! I'm better at writing than the rest. Plus I just found out that we have to do a presentation in German for one of our exams.

Please I need any advice and not the same old, listen to German music etc.
Original post by Hiro2468

My teacher only speaks German now but my brain wants to have a meltdown everytime, I suck at listening so I feel embarrassed when she asks me what she said and I don't know at all.

Speaking is my worst one so far, I can't speak German! I really want to but I don't know what to do or how to improve! I'm better at writing than the rest. Plus I just found out that we have to do a presentation in German for one of our exams.

My friend, she did gcse German and now she’s started a level, practices her speaking by recording herself and listening back to it over and over again. You could probably find a German audio book somewhere and see if you can figure out what they’re saying. Idk if I’ve been any help but I thought I’d give it a try :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zoinks
My friend, she did gcse German and now she’s started a level, practices her speaking by recording herself and listening back to it over and over again. You could probably find a German audio book somewhere and see if you can figure out what they’re saying. Idk if I’ve been any help but I thought I’d give it a try :smile:

Thank you! What does she say to herself like what does she say to practice please?
Original post by Hiro2468

hey, i really know how you feel, that was me for the last two years! though i was doing a level french, but still similar!

what i will say is that you literally have to just start speaking the language to yourself as you do things, it's weird at the beginning but i mean now i can literally ask questions in most of the different styles - this was something i practised because i never understood the questions my teacher asked

i could never respond to questions back in french but as I started to learn how to formulate sentences, i would try and respond back slightly (even if it's wrong) you just have to go for it! 9/10 they really want to hear your language develop and improve!

vocab will defintely help because even if i didnt understand the entire sentence/question, i could piece together the general gist and THAT IS OKAY, i used to feel so rubbish with my classmates because they understood everything but i couldnt, but as a learner and not a native speaker, you're not expected to know EVERYTHING - trust me when you realise this you'll feel a lot better

the presentation you are talking about is called the IRP (if you are AQA) and honestly it isnt too bad! trust me! are you yr 12 or 13? if yr 12, don't even worry about it now!

i really hope you keep on trying because perservance does really bring in results - i managed to get an A! i think my teachers were shocked because the class mates who are better than me were more likely to get it but hard and CONSISTENT work does pay off

if you have any more questions feel free to ask and i will help the best i can! sorry if this is all jumbled, at this time of night i am useless lol

- so make sure you are banging out quizlet/memrise or whatever you like to use
-
Reply 4
Try watching German TV or Youtube videos by German native speakers. Put subtitles on if you need to, but just listening to lots that is at the right level will help you improve a lot. You could also try News In Slow German https://www.newsinslowgerman.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5fzrBRASEiwAD2OSV1ldjGsgSOrCvi67hbArjX28J2QQucHtaoeAhV63jsO7CUS6Q24bLxoCyzEQAvD_BwE. I believe they release free podcast tasters every week for beginners, intermediates and advanced level (I used the equivalent for Spanish A-Level).
Reply 5
Original post by sweetietweetie
hey, i really know how you feel, that was me for the last two years! though i was doing a level french, but still similar!

what i will say is that you literally have to just start speaking the language to yourself as you do things, it's weird at the beginning but i mean now i can literally ask questions in most of the different styles - this was something i practised because i never understood the questions my teacher asked

i could never respond to questions back in french but as I started to learn how to formulate sentences, i would try and respond back slightly (even if it's wrong) you just have to go for it! 9/10 they really want to hear your language develop and improve!

vocab will defintely help because even if i didnt understand the entire sentence/question, i could piece together the general gist and THAT IS OKAY, i used to feel so rubbish with my classmates because they understood everything but i couldnt, but as a learner and not a native speaker, you're not expected to know EVERYTHING - trust me when you realise this you'll feel a lot better

the presentation you are talking about is called the IRP (if you are AQA) and honestly it isnt too bad! trust me! are you yr 12 or 13? if yr 12, don't even worry about it now!

i really hope you keep on trying because perservance does really bring in results - i managed to get an A! i think my teachers were shocked because the class mates who are better than me were more likely to get it but hard and CONSISTENT work does pay off

if you have any more questions feel free to ask and i will help the best i can! sorry if this is all jumbled, at this time of night i am useless lol

- so make sure you are banging out quizlet/memrise or whatever you like to use
-

Omd thank you so much! I've just started yr12 and I'm doing AQA, I want to get improving my speaking out of the way before mocks so that I can focus on listening and reading since I such equally at both listening and speaking and reading.

I don't even know what to say to myself in German at home? Should I just pick a topic and pretend to have a phone conversation with someone? Also I'll start using memrise since I suck at vocab (>_< ).

Today we did a practice presentation in German and I completely flunked it. How would I personally know if I'm improving? Since it always feels like I'm not making any progress at all.
Reply 6
Original post by EJ 12
Try watching German TV or Youtube videos by German native speakers. Put subtitles on if you need to, but just listening to lots that is at the right level will help you improve a lot. You could also try News In Slow German https://www.newsinslowgerman.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5fzrBRASEiwAD2OSV1ldjGsgSOrCvi67hbArjX28J2QQucHtaoeAhV63jsO7CUS6Q24bLxoCyzEQAvD_BwE. I believe they release free podcast tasters every week for beginners, intermediates and advanced level (I used the equivalent for Spanish A-Level).

Thank you! Did you straight away listen to the intermediate version or start off at beginner level?

Quick Reply

Latest