The Student Room Group

How is freshers week meant to be for those staying at home?

So freshers week is approaching and I'm really nervous about how it's gonna play out considering it's geared more towards people who are moving to the halls rather then staying at home (like I am). I wanna experience the social side of freshers like drinking, clubbing ect but I just feel lost about how to approach it with not knowing anyone except a few people who I've spoken to online beforehand. I have a friend going to my uni too who might wanna tag along with me but still.
If you've previously spoken to some people on your course/at your uni, you could ask to join them for pre-drinks. Tah-da you've made some friends and people to go drinking and clubbing with :smile: You'll then hopefully meet more people at pres so more people to hangout with.
Original post by Anonymous
So freshers week is approaching and I'm really nervous about how it's gonna play out considering it's geared more towards people who are moving to the halls rather then staying at home (like I am). I wanna experience the social side of freshers like drinking, clubbing ect but I just feel lost about how to approach it with not knowing anyone except a few people who I've spoken to online beforehand. I have a friend going to my uni too who might wanna tag along with me but still.

and what is your reason for staying at home? are you a young carer? a disability? uni policy against local students living in halls?
You can still do freshers week if you're living at home. Just go out with your existing mates or new friends from uni. You're in a better position because you can spend a bit more money on nights out and clothes because you're living at home. I'd get stuck into freshers week just the same as any other fresher.
Reply 4
Well I'm a local so don't really see a point in living in the halls.
Original post by Anonymous
Well I'm a local so don't really see a point in living in the halls.

This will save a ton of money, to be living at home while at a local uni, but there are downsides.
The ''life experience'' living away from home can be very good, {but it does depend on who you are sharing accommodation with !}

Often, it is a parent cannot bear to let the apron strings go, and can pressure a student to go to a nearby uni {known of that to happen} ..but if you really want to move out, you always can.
Stroll into the group chat like "yo anybody doin pres"
Reply 7
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Stroll into the group chat like "yo anybody doin pres"

I kinda left my uni gc cause it just felt pointless being in a uni gc with 200 people doing all kinds of courses. I might meet some people doing freshers soon though since I have started uni

Quick Reply

Latest