The Student Room Group

Uni Bournemouth or Falmouth???

Hi! I received an unconditional offer both from AUB and uni Falmouth (MA graphic design) but I literally have no idea which one to pick... Falmouth seems great with really good facilities but in terms of city/uni life Bournemouth might be a better choice.... In terms of ranking and employability they don't seem too different so I really don't know what to choose! I haven't been to the open days so I can't even judge basing on that.... PLEASE HELP... any first-hand experience?? Thaaanks
It sounds like you prefer AUB but are worried about choosing it?
Original post by lampan40
Hi! I received an unconditional offer both from AUB and uni Falmouth (MA graphic design) but I literally have no idea which one to pick... Falmouth seems great with really good facilities but in terms of city/uni life Bournemouth might be a better choice.... In terms of ranking and employability they don't seem too different so I really don't know what to choose! I haven't been to the open days so I can't even judge basing on that.... PLEASE HELP... any first-hand experience?? Thaaanks

Bournemouth is 7 places above Falmouth in the league tables, and I live 10 mins from Bournemouth uni and they have beach parties and always seem to be having fun. I applied there myself (although I declined their offer because they didn’t have good enough facilities for my subject). I know it has high student satisfaction but I’m not sure about other areas. (When I looked around I noticed that every student was different: goth, indie ect, they all had something different about them if that helps). It seemed to be a very artsy university.

I don’t know much about Falmouth so I can’t comment on them but I hope my commentary on Bournemouth helps!
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you prefer AUB but are worried about choosing it?

Not really.. as I said I don't know much about neither AUB or Falmouth :frown: I do think that Bournemouth might be a better option in terms of nightlife/experience/city life but academically speaking I honestly don't know which I should pick, and in the end it should be the most important factor...
Reply 4
Original post by TheOnlyIzzy
Bournemouth is 7 places above Falmouth in the league tables, and I live 10 mins from Bournemouth uni and they have beach parties and always seem to be having fun. I applied there myself (although I declined their offer because they didn’t have good enough facilities for my subject). I know it has high student satisfaction but I’m not sure about other areas. (When I looked around I noticed that every student was different: goth, indie ect, they all had something different about them if that helps). It seemed to be a very artsy university.

I don’t know much about Falmouth so I can’t comment on them but I hope my commentary on Bournemouth helps!

Thanks a lot!!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lampan40

Depends what kind of night out you're looking for. Bournemouth has more clubs and events going on, and more people

Falmouth is smaller and when I last visited only had one nightclub, although you can easily get to Truro which has more. Falmouth has a lot more of a relaxed and mellow vibe. There are a few festivals in area in the the summer but apart from that I wouldn't go there if you like a heavy night out.

Imo if you're into raving and all-night trawls go Bournemouth. Easy going nights out go Falmouth.
Hey its been two years since this was posted and this is a long shot but im in the same situation now and would be interested to know what u picked and how it went. :smile:
Original post by Enchantedpine
Hey its been two years since this was posted and this is a long shot but im in the same situation now and would be interested to know what u picked and how it went. :smile:

You’re applying for masters degrees in graphic design?
Im applying for a BA in graphics and I have no idea where to go between the two.
Where did you go in the end? I have unconditional for both Falmouth and AUB and at a loss to know which to choose
Original post by emilywatts228
Where did you go in the end? I have unconditional for both Falmouth and AUB and at a loss to know which to choose

The OP's last activity on TSR was October 2019 so you're not going to get a reply...
Where did you end up going? I’m doing graphic design and also have unconditionals for both Aub and Falmouth I’m really stuck
Where did you end up going? I’m doing graphic design and also have unconditionals for both Aub and Falmouth I’m really stuck

What would you say are the pros and cons for each?

Have you looked at the online graduate shows for each to get a feel for whether your interests will be well served by the course?
Hi there! We're so glad to hear you're interested in studying with us!

As an unconditional offer holder, have you come along to one of our Offer Holder Days? These are informal days where you’re invited to visit the campus, meet the tutors and your future classmates, and really get a feel for the course and life at AUB. Our next event is Wednesday 12 April and there’s more info here: aub.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate/offer-holder-days if you'd like to come along!

If you haven’t already, it’s worth checking the Graphic Design course page on our website (aub.ac.uk/course/graphic-design) for more info about the course, plus some of the student/graduate work and videos. It might also help to follow @graphic design_aub on Instagram, which gives more of a student perspective of life on the course.

If you’re interested, we can put you in touch with members of the course team or current students to ask any specific questions and put worries to rest.

We know that Choosing where to study can be a really difficult decision, so we’d love to make that easier for you where we can!

Many thanks,

AUB

Quick Reply

Latest