The Student Room Group

Am I being realistic?

I'm currently in Year 12 at an all-girls grammar school and I want to apply later in the year to sit law at uni, with the intention of becoming a barrister. I am taking RE, History, Goverment and Politics and Economics, and I have fairly solid GCSE results ( 4 7s 2 8s and 4 9s) but not the best.
However I want to look into unis such as UCL, LSE, KCL, Oxford and a few others as I really want to be in London.
I am predicted 4 As plus I am taking my EPQ as well.
Am I being realistic with this dream? Or do I need to start looking at less competitive unis?
Many thanks!
4 As and an EPQ are great, those unis would definitely consider you if you have a strong personal statement, (and interview + entrance exam for oxford)
Reply 2
Original post by Holly jade
4 As and an EPQ are great, those unis would definitely consider you if you have a strong personal statement, (and interview + entrance exam for oxford)

Thank you to both of you!
I am definitely going to consider both but will definitely look into other options. I will most likely look into other options such as Birbeck, Goldsmiths, City etc as I know they're less competitive and require lower grades.
I am already practising for the LNAT as I've heard before a good score can make a difference when your results are average like mine.
I will be at a slight disadvantage (I am aware) from attending a grammar school but it was either here or a choice of schools with drug and bullying problems!
Just wondering if any one had any other suggestions for where to look into?
Cheers!
Original post by moll.crx
Thank you to both of you!
I am definitely going to consider both but will definitely look into other options. I will most likely look into other options such as Birbeck, Goldsmiths, City etc as I know they're less competitive and require lower grades.
I am already practising for the LNAT as I've heard before a good score can make a difference when your results are average like mine.
I will be at a slight disadvantage (I am aware) from attending a grammar school but it was either here or a choice of schools with drug and bullying problemsL!
Just wondering if any one had any other suggestions for where to look into?
Cheers!

It's great that you are also open to unis requiring slightly lower A level grades, as that is the way to make sure you get offers. As great as AAAA is, it is still not the A* AA that LSE/UCL/Kings are ideally looking for, so it is quite possible that you would get rejections from them. I'm not saying you will, just that you might.

If you want to be in London, unis that I would suggest as safer choices (but still better than the ones you mentioned) are Queen Marys and SOAS. QMUL is likely to accept AAA in reality, whereas SOAS will go down even lower so they could be good Insurance choices.

Your school won't actively disadvantage you, it just won't allow you to access any contextual offer schemes.
How to avoid 5 Rejections :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Read it all - but especially the bit about applying to Unis with a range of requirements, and why you should do this.
That's what I thought and why I was surprised when you advised OP to "Just apply and find out". At least I suggested they also apply to QMUL and SOAS rather than limit themselves to Oxford plus 3 London unis that are likely to stick with their A*AA requirements (which we both know QMUL doesn't).

I would have got roasted if I had said to OP that they will get rejected because after all, we never 100% know and OP seems set on Oxford or London, so it's hard to find 5 good options. With regard to the spread of choices that @returnmigrant referred to, a safer selection would be something like Oxford, LSE or UCL (if they are determined to try), Kings, QMUL and SOAS.
(edited 4 years ago)
Perhaps you'd like to read the OP again. Likely to be predicted AAA.
What you are suggesting is therefore probably a recipe for at least 4 and probably 5 rejections.

So, maybe you could think of offering some slightly more mature advice.
Do not call me 'lad', or presume to tell me how I may consider your language.

Finally, you clearly have no idea how the University admissions process actually works.
Reply 8
If you can, try ask for one of your A’s to be moved to predicted A*, if you’re applying to competitive unis the school may feel happy doing so - my school refused to predict A*’s so I was predicted AAA and achieved A*A*A this year :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
It's great that you are also open to unis requiring slightly lower A level grades, as that is the way to make sure you get offers. As great as AAAA is, it is still not the A* AA that LSE/UCL/Kings are ideally looking for, so it is quite possible that you would get rejections from them. I'm not saying you will, just that you might.

If you want to be in London, unis that I would suggest as safer choices (but still better than the ones you mentioned) are Queen Marys and SOAS. QMUL is likely to accept AAA in reality, whereas SOAS will go down even lower so they could be good Insurance choices.

Your school won't actively disadvantage you, it just won't allow you to access any contextual offer schemes.

What is SOAS law like? Is it the same as other unis or does it have a more international focus?
I've read that queen marys had the same/similar required grades? Is this true or are they more likely to accept lower grades?

That's what I thought and why I was surprised when you advised OP to "Just apply and find out". At least I suggested they also apply to QMUL and SOAS rather than limit themselves to Oxford plus 3 London unis that are likely to stick with their A*AA requirements (which we both know QMUL doesn't).

I would have got roasted if I had said to OP that they will get rejected because after all, we never 100% know and OP seems set on Oxford or London, so it's hard to find 5 good options. With regard to the spread of choices that @returnmigrant referred to, a safer selection would be something like Oxford, LSE or UCL (if they are determined to try), Kings, QMUL and SOAS.

I would most definitely prefer to be in London but am still open to other areas. Is there anywhere else in the uk with a good law department that would accept/consider my grades?
Reply 10
Original post by i1e2b3
If you can, try ask for one of your A’s to be moved to predicted A*, if you’re applying to competitive unis the school may feel happy doing so - my school refused to predict A*’s so I was predicted AAA and achieved A*A*A this year :smile:

Yeah my school also has a policy of very rarely predicting a*s so I might speak to my RE teacher as she may be willing as I achieved full marks at GCSE
What is SOAS law like? Is it the same as other unis or does it have a more international focus?
I've read that queen marys had the same/similar required grades? Is this true or are they more likely to accept lower grades?

I would most definitely prefer to be in London but am still open to other areas. Is there anywhere else in the uk with a good law department that would accept/consider my grades?

SOAS does offer some niche modules that relate to the developing world so if that doesn't interest you, you might prefer QMUL (although the location of SOAS is arguably better as it is more central). Queen Mary's say they require A*AA but have been in Clearing for the last few years asking for "indicative" grades of AAA.

Other good Law schools asking for around AAA include Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter, York and Leeds.
Reply 12
SOAS does offer some niche modules that relate to the developing world so if that doesn't interest you, you might prefer QMUL (although the location of SOAS is arguably better as it is more central). Queen Mary's say they require A*AA but have been in Clearing for the last few years asking for "indicative" grades of AAA.

Other good Law schools asking for around AAA include Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter, York and Leeds.

Cheers I will definitely look onto some of the others (however will defo be avoiding Manchester as it's where in from!)

I've heard mixed reports about SOAS, with some students loving it and some hating it. QMUL, however, does seem like a very good school and am now considering it a serious contender.
Is City at all a good school or is it not worth considering? It has much lower required grades and a fairly decent alumni list?
Cheers I will definitely look onto some of the others (however will defo be avoiding Manchester as it's where in from!)

I've heard mixed reports about SOAS, with some students loving it and some hating it. QMUL, however, does seem like a very good school and am now considering it a serious contender.
Is City at all a good school or is it not worth considering? It has much lower required grades and a fairly decent alumni list?

City is good for Law and Business but not a great uni for other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending