The Student Room Group

Access to HE in science revision materials

Hi guys,
I'm soon to be starting the Accentis Access to He in sciences in September. I want to get a head start and get some studying done before hand.
Can anyone give me some advice on which revision books I should buy?
Thanks in advance
Hi! I'm also doing this course (I think mine is health though!)
If your course has anatomy and physiology, there is a book online you can buy =)
Reply 2
What book is that?
HE anatomy and Physiology
Reply 4
Is that the title of the book?
There is two more also on amazon . Access to HE the essentials and Access to HE the social science
(edited 4 years ago)
As access is a level 3 qualification, any A level book on the subjects you're studying will help
Reply 7
I wouldn't waste money on an access to he book.
Most are really dated and every access course is different.

The best preparation would probably be to go over GCSE science material as that is where you will start from.
GCSE Science Bitesize website is good for that.
Go over basic mathematics e.g. scientific notation, law of indices etc.
Know how to reference correctly in writing
Just make sure your writing is up to scratch.

Also most science access courses lean heavily on chemistry and biology and less so on physics.

This may seem like basic stuff but a lot of your fellow students will start the course without having studied any science in years. So they will be learning the GCSE content essentially from scratch.
A level books had most the information in I needed. There’s loads of free online resources that helped as well. MaChemGuy on YouTube was really helpful for chemistry, there’s an if you go to OpenStax.org they have a few online copies of textbooks for all of the sciences as well, the anatomy and physiology one is the best for biology assignments, everyone in my class used it. OpenStax has a mix of level 3 and university level books so it really helps hit those high distinction marks.
I’ve just finished an access to he science with open college network and am just waiting for my results next week and the free online resources were better than any of the books I brought.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HobbinsE
A level books had most the information in I needed. There’s loads of free online resources that helped as well. MaChemGuy on YouTube was really helpful for chemistry, there’s an if you go to OpenStax.org they have a few online copies of textbooks for all of the sciences as well, the anatomy and physiology one is the best for biology assignments, everyone in my class used it. OpenStax has a mix of level 3 and university level books so it really helps hit those high distinction marks.
I’ve just finished an access to he science with open college network and am just waiting for my results next week and the free online resources were better than any of the books I brought.

Hey i know it’s quite late but can i ask in what your gonna be studying in uni with the access to science degree?
Original post by Inuyashaa
Hey i know it’s quite late but can i ask in what your gonna be studying in uni with the access to science degree?

Hopefully Dental Hygiene and Therapy

I’m doing marine biology, originally applied for evolutionary biology but switched in clearing because I like sharks more than genetics.
Original post by HobbinsE
I’m doing marine biology, originally applied for evolutionary biology but switched in clearing because I like sharks more than genetics.

Haha nice! Did you get into uni via the science access course?
Original post by layla_may93
Haha nice! Did you get into uni via the science access course?

Yeah
Original post by layla_may93
Hopefully Dental Hygiene and Therapy

Oo thats nice the best of luck
Oo thats nice the best of luck

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending