The Student Room Group

Sixth form is depressing

Just started at a new college and it's draining. I have no one to talk to because everyone else has there own little groups. I've just been stuck alone in the library and it feels awful. Any help or advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Just started at a new college and it's draining. I have no one to talk to because everyone else has there own little groups. I've just been stuck alone in the library and it feels awful. Any help or advice?

talk to anyone tbh, maybe join in conversation with groups you're interested in, maybe stay with someone you sit next to in lessons
Reply 2
^^

Talking to the person you sit with in lesson is a really good way to get to know new people
first few days
trust me wait a few and you'll breakthrough
Reply 4
Become comfortable in the environment by focusing on lessons and knowing your teachers/subjects so that stress is gone then try and have little chats with people by asking for help about something, say you forgot your pen or offer them a pen if they need one, ask them a random question at lunch, just be comfortable and happy, the rest will fall into place :smile:
Reply 5
Update, still pretty much the same
Update, still pretty much the same

Its only the first month dont worry it will get better
Reply 7
Everyone just seems really sperate and already together, meanwhile I'm just kind of there
Reply 8
Original post by 3121
Become comfortable in the environment by focusing on lessons and knowing your teachers/subjects so that stress is gone then try and have little chats with people by asking for help about something, say you forgot your pen or offer them a pen if they need one, ask them a random question at lunch, just be comfortable and happy, the rest will fall into place :smile:

The issue is no one talks because they're all together in there own little communities, I just can't break through
Reply 9
This isn't getting any better
maybe talk to someone who looks like they r by themself maybe? or a smaller group if it's a bit easier?

I am really quiet though and I was in the same situation. it does take a while, but I think I might have found some ppl through lessons, ppl approached me and I tried my best to talk by saying small stuff like other ppl mentioned. it could be luck that I found ppl that I could talk to despite the rigid groups lol. maybe try to talk to some externals as well since u kind of have the same experience?
not working
Waiting WILL NOT help at all. It's fairly early days so you have time. Please I beg do not try and break into a group you wouldn't like. Also don't be the guy who makes everyone laugh - that won't help you one bit. Maybe if you know the social media of people you want to talk to see if there is anything on there that you can talk about (or research to talk about) like a picture of a movie or something. If there are groups of people that were friends in the past, don't bother; you will always be the outcast and it will do you no favours. PM me if you want to give me specifics to help your case even more.

Tbh people are overrated though. Most of them are a waste of time and you're better off studying, honestly. The two years will pass quickly. I spent my first year with some horrible people and it eventually backfired on me. I was also the guy that organised group trips/outings and stuff and I was conveniently the one that was never invited to anything (even randomers were invited). That made me feel worse than if I was on my own. Honestly just use your time to study.
Original post by Kyloias
Waiting WILL NOT help at all. It's fairly early days so you have time. Please I beg do not try and break into a group you wouldn't like. Also don't be the guy who makes everyone laugh - that won't help you one bit. Maybe if you know the social media of people you want to talk to see if there is anything on there that you can talk about (or research to talk about) like a picture of a movie or something. If there are groups of people that were friends in the past, don't bother; you will always be the outcast and it will do you no favours. PM me if you want to give me specifics to help your case even more.

Tbh people are overrated though. Most of them are a waste of time and you're better off studying, honestly. The two years will pass quickly. I spent my first year with some horrible people and it eventually backfired on me. I was also the guy that organised group trips/outings and stuff and I was conveniently the one that was never invited to anything (even randomers were invited). That made me feel worse than if I was on my own. Honestly just use your time to study.

Cheers but I don't rly want to PM unanonymously.I can hardly study because all of this has just depressed me to no end, now I'm just sat on a bench waiting for next lesson in 90 mins. I'm ****ed
In the same situation here , it so ****. Everyone already knows everyone here
Original post by mirage2105
Is there nobody else that seems alone in the library? It's the start of the year so I'm sure you could ask them about whether they know anyone else at the college or if you could study together for motivation etc.

Literally no one, and I didn't exactly think going around pleading for friends is the best
Literally no one, and I didn't exactly think going around pleading for friends is the best

I think the only thing we can do is try getting with the people we sit next to in class. I’m slightly lucky because I have one guy to hang around with from my town and he’s in the same situation lmao
Reply 17
This happened to me during sixth form. Had no friends for those 2 years. It is depressing, but the only alternative is trying to force yourself into another friendship group which I found too difficult. I don't know how confident you are, but I can almost guarantee you are more confident than me you'll probably make friends eventually if you talk to people in lessons.

However, if you don't make friends, then just make sure you get good grades. I got good grades so now I don't regret choosing my sixth form.
Original post by mobvair
This happened to me during sixth form. Had no friends for those 2 years. It is depressing, but the only alternative is trying to force yourself into another friendship group which I found too difficult. I don't know how confident you are, but I can almost guarantee you are more confident than me you'll probably make friends eventually if you talk to people in lessons.

However, if you don't make friends, then just make sure you get good grades. I got good grades so now I don't regret choosing my sixth form.

I am probably less confident than you and I can't focus on any of my work because of this whole situation
Cheers but I don't rly want to PM unanonymously.I can hardly study because all of this has just depressed me to no end, now I'm just sat on a bench waiting for next lesson in 90 mins. I'm ****ed

You are literally describing how I felt. I made friends with a group of people who just bullied a disabled guy in my year for 2 years. Their only sense of humour was making overused jokes on him. Last I checked, they had 6 snapchat groups on him where they just mock him with "memes". They were horrible and I hate myself for even being associated with them.

I also made it my priority in SF to make friends (after not having many in lower), and sacrificed a little of my academic for happiness. I ended up more upset than ever. Like I said, my friends would even invite just random people they've maybe talked to once in year 7 but never me. They'd literally be discussing who to invite next to me and my name never once crossed their mind. I probably held more stuff than anyone else, and made sure to invite everyone. It literally even got to the point that one time I organised an outing for my birthday, which everyone confirmed to come to, then nobody came to the meeting place so I just assumed they cancelled. I was on my way home and found them all going out with other people too. On my birthday...

There was even one kid I've been friends with since we were 11. I've literally invited him to everything I've ever held. He had a birthday thing and invited all his friends, even a bunch of new SF students, even the disablied kid that they just mock (they invited him then told him to "piss off" when they at the destination...) and I wasn't even considered as an invite...

Quick Reply

Latest