The Student Room Group

Will sixth form accept me at the age 18?

I'm 17 now and im in college doing btec 3 science
I wanted to go sixth form but my grades were to week I got grade 6/6 in combined science I was one mark away from 6 in Maths nad 2 Marks away from 5 in Eglish if I redo my gcses and Apply for sixth form at Age 18 will they accept me ? I want to do biology chemistry and maths and do medicine affter. I'm asking because I get diffarent answers from different people.
Original post by lukasz.k
I'm 17 now and im in college doing btec 3 science
I wanted to go sixth form but my grades were to week I got grade 6/6 in combined science I was one mark away from 6 in Maths nad 2 Marks away from 5 in Eglish if I redo my gcses and Apply for sixth form at Age 18 will they accept me ? I want to do biology chemistry and maths and do medicine affter. I'm asking because I get diffarent answers from different people.

Will your college not allow you to do GCSE resists alongside your btec?

Some medical schools will be reluctant for students doing GCSE resists if there are no circumstances that caused you to get lower grades than expected for example.

What are your BTEC predictions at the moment, and are you enjoying the course?
Reply 2
Original post by Hazzabear
Will your college not allow you to do GCSE resists alongside your btec?

Some medical schools will be reluctant for students doing GCSE resists if there are no circumstances that caused you to get lower grades than expected for example.

What are your BTEC predictions at the moment, and are you enjoying the course?

I just started the course
I just started the course

Did you ask for a remark on your exam papers?
My college accepted me when I was 18, only a couple of months away from being 19. As long as I was under 19 when the course started the funding wouldn’t be an issue. But that’s just from my experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Hazzabear
Did you ask for a remark on your exam papers?

Yes I have and there is no change
Reply 6
Original post by Paypurr
My college accepted me when I was 18, only a couple of months away from being 19. As long as I was under 19 when the course started the funding wouldn’t be an issue. But that’s just from my experience.

Thanks for the information. You were going to sixth form ?
Reply 7
They should do
Just a thought, but why not do one year of resitting your GCSes. And then next year begin your a-levels? if you really want to go into medicine, it will be a long process before you're even an FY1, if you do BTEC and a levels which aren't necessary.
Reply 9
Yeah however if you turn 19 i believe you have to pay
Original post by bald4347
Yeah however if you turn 19 i believe you have to pay

Yep if you are over 19 when you start your course your school receives no funding, so you will have to pay.
Thanks for the information. You were going to sixth form ?

Yeah I did a levels there

Quick Reply

Latest