The Student Room Group

Do you use the BBC red button?

Poll

Have you used the BBC red button?

"BBC are turning off the news and sports services on the tv red button in 2020. It was launched in 1999 and was took over Ceefax which was being phased out".

:undefined:rip

Link:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-49715314

When was the last time you used it?
Do you think they should get rid of it? Why/why not?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
"BBC are turning off the news and sports services on the tv red button in 2020. It was launched in 1999 and was took over Ceefax which was being phased out".

:undefined:rip

Link:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-49715314

When was the last time you used it?
Do you think they should get rid of it? Why/why not?
That’s a shame. I used it a lot last Christmas for tv series like war and peace that we’re very good and also for sport events like Wimbledon
Reply 2
When I’ve used it in the past I feel like I’m using 20 year old technology. I have no need for it since I can get all the same information online.

The older generation who used Teletext/Ceefax and don’t use the Internet much/at all may miss it.
Reply 3
Original post by Anastasiadis
That’s a shame. I used it a lot last Christmas for tv series like war and peace that we’re very good and also for sport events like Wimbledon

I may be wrong but I think it’s just the text services that are being switched off? I think the red button will remain so things like Wimbledon will stay.
Original post by Sir Cumference
I may be wrong but I think it’s just the text services that are being switched off? I think the red button will remain so things like Wimbledon will stay.

Oh ok sorry I misunderstood🙂
Original post by Anastasiadis
That’s a shame. I used it a lot last Christmas for

Original post by Sir Cumference
When I’ve used it in the past I feel like I’m using 20 year old technology. I have no need for it since I can get all the same information online.

The older generation who used Teletext/Ceefax and don’t use the Internet much/at all may miss it.

Same here to be honest :five:
Vaguely remember my Dad using teletex on our old tv back in 2005 :lol:
Reply 6
I don't think I actually ever have :dontknow:
I forgot that existed :rofl:
Reply 8
Didnt really use it
Original post by 8472
I don't think I actually ever have :dontknow:

How is that possible :dontknow:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
I forgot that existed :rofl:

:naughty: :smile:
Original post by Chronoscope
How is that possible :dontknow:

:naughty: :smile:

:tongue: at least I know now :wink:
Why would they do that
Reply 12
Original post by swaters6761
Why would they do that

They are turning off the text service on cost grounds, saying people can go online, use apps or watch the News channel, and they can put resources into those. This is despite an in-home survey reported by the BBC that found almost 20% of Britons don't use the internet.
That's a shame I use it for when Final Score is not on the main channel yet and Wimbledon
Reply 14
Original post by MWills99
That's a shame I use it for when Final Score is not on the main channel yet and Wimbledon

You'll still have access to RB channels; it's the text service that is being turned off.
Original post by Surnia
You'll still have access to RB channels; it's the text service that is being turned off.

Oh that's great! Thanks for the heads up!
I use it often to find out the weather forecast and latest news.
Personally, I haven't ever, but IK my grandparents do
I guess the bbc think it's redundant, which is fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest