The Student Room Group

how and where do you pay to sit a GCSE exam in London ? private candidate - HELP

Hi everyone,

i would like to take 5 GCSE subjects but i dont want to go through any school as it is pretty expensive (unless anyone has a tip for cheaper course ?)
I was planning to revise and be self taught and sit my exams but i cannot find how to register myself (without being in a school) as a private candidate ?

any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you,

Vee
Hello

I am a homeschooler and I sit all my exams privately. I live about an hour and a half away from London and I sit my exams at an examination centre in Portsmouth. The place is called FareGos Home Education Centre, here is a link with more information: http://faregos.org/.

If this doesn't help then you should just do some research on examination centres in London as I can reassure there are plenty!

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Search for a gcse centre
Original post by Vaskai19
Hi everyone,

i would like to take 5 GCSE subjects but i dont want to go through any school as it is pretty expensive (unless anyone has a tip for cheaper course ?)
I was planning to revise and be self taught and sit my exams but i cannot find how to register myself (without being in a school) as a private candidate ?

any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you,

Vee

Pick your GCSE, pick the exam board and specification you will study, then google GCSE private exam centre plus your city or look on the exam boards website.

Pay the money, buy the text books, teach yourself and turn up at the exam centre to sit the exam.

How old are you? On what basis are you in the UK?
Reply 4
Original post by Ash_Doug_18
Hello

I am a homeschooler and I sit all my exams privately. I live about an hour and a half away from London and I sit my exams at an examination centre in Portsmouth. The place is called FareGos Home Education Centre, here is a link with more information: http://faregos.org/.

If this doesn't help then you should just do some research on examination centres in London as I can reassure there are plenty!

Hope this helps!

Hi,

thank you very much, it does help :smile: will definitely look into it !
Reply 5
Hi

Original post by 999tigger
Pick your GCSE, pick the exam board and specification you will study, then google GCSE private exam centre plus your city or look on the exam boards website.

Pay the money, buy the text books, teach yourself and turn up at the exam centre to sit the exam.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply !

I am not really familiar with the process here in the UK. I am 34 years old, i have an 2 masters in Marketing. For personal reasons, I would like to change my career and get into medical field. The only problem is that the universities i have contacted all want gcses and a levels in science which i have done in France a long time ago and as i travelled around, i cant find them and none of the organisation i studied in have copies as it goes back to over 20 years ago for my GCSE.

Could you specify what do you mean by exam board ?

thank your advice, it helps !
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger

Okay got it, :smile:

Pearson / Edexcel

AQA ( Assessment and Qualifications Alliance)
Original post by Vaskai19
Okay got it, :smile:

Pearson / Edexcel

AQA ( Assessment and Qualifications Alliance)

Is it medicine you want to study or would something like nursing or occupational therapy or paramedic be acceptable?
Medicine is very competitive and complex to apply for, but the others are more straightforward.
Also your situation as described also makes it much more complex.
i.e You are a French national and we are about to leave the EU.
You do not have sufficient qualifications for uni.
Those qualifications need to be of a high standard and very specific.
You already have a degree and in most cases they only pay fees for one degree.
Depending on circumstances you will not get a maintenance grant.

I am not saying dont try, just it is a lot more complicated and you may find you have to fund yourself.

As for the other Exam boards are the organisations who set the exam papers for most pre uni education i.e A levels and GCSE. then mark them.
AQA, Edexcel, OCR are the main ones, but EDUQAS and CCEA are tow much smaller ones. Normally the school chooses, but an A level from any of them is treated the same by any and all unis.

Quick Reply

Latest