The Student Room Group

Is this a good enough reason to want to do a level chemistry?

Im doing maths and physics a levels
A level chemistry and biology are my last 2 options
I want to do mechanical engineering in the future

heres the short verion:

I only want to do chemistry a level as it has more understanding (rather than fact learing - compared to biology) and i have good visual-spatial skills (I can imagine shapes and molecule quiet well) - I dont really care about atoms and molecules tho , I prefered biology over chemistry at gcse - Should I take Chem over bio??

Now the longer version:

If Biology had the same amount of memorisation/understanding as chemistry , I would choose biology as its what i was more interested at during gcses (I didn't really care about the amount of atoms/atoms in general) during gcses . However, im considering taking chem over bio as people say that it has alot more understanding and less memorisation (which is good). I think thats the main con in a level biology, its VERY memorisation based - I know people who just memorises the mark scheme.I also have very good spatial visualisation skills , which means im really good at imagining things (and shapes). Im quiet liking biology but im scared that chemistry is more for me . Should I take bio or chem??
Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

There is a lot to unpack here.

You want to do mechanical engineering. Why are you not at least doing AS further maths? I would personally choose that as a 4th, as good unis for this course want A level FM.

I would take the course you are more interested in. No matter what the assessment and content style is, if you aren't interested then A levels are a pain. Also, you could probably switch if you found Biology significantly awful. Memorisation is easy if you love the subject!
Reply 2
Original post by vicvic38
Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

There is a lot to unpack here.

You want to do mechanical engineering. Why are you not at least doing AS further maths? I would personally choose that as a 4th, as good unis for this course want A level FM.

I would take the course you are more interested in. No matter what the assessment and content style is, if you aren't interested then A levels are a pain. Also, you could probably switch if you found Biology significantly awful. Memorisation is easy if you love the subject!

I dont have the grades for FM - only had a 7
Original post by Azimbrook1
I don't have the grades for FM - only had a 7

Fair enough. Would you take it if you had the 8?
Reply 4
Fair enough. Would you take it if you had the 8?

Not sure, but probably
Not sure, but probably

Have you considered asking if the school will take you for FM regardless? Esp if you just want to do the AS.
Reply 6
Have you considered asking if the school will take you for FM regardless? Esp if you just want to do the AS.

I've asked and they've said no, so biology and chemistry are my only options
I've asked and they've said no, so biology and chemistry are my only options

Have you got your parents to ask? Often a strong arm from a parent can get you on.

Regardless, I say take bio.
Reply 8
Have you got your parents to ask? Often a strong arm from a parent can get you on.

Regardless, I say take bio.

I am taking biology, but now I'm always thinking to myself "what would've happen if I take chemistry" I 've tried searching for taster session on YouTube but can't find any.

Quick Reply

Latest