The Student Room Group

When and how many times a day should I have whey protein shake?

When and how many times a day would be best to have a protein shake? I'm 18 years old and am trying to gain both weight and muscle. I used to go gym once a day and so would have a shake with water (for quick recovery) after workout in the morning and a shake with milk (for extra calories) at lunch. Now I'm planning on going gym twice a day, once in the morning and late in the evening. Should I have this second shake after my second gym workout instead of lunch or perhaps 3 shakes a day?
At most once a day. Get your calories and protein from real food
Reply 2
Whey? In Newcastle that's a greeting... not a food.
Original post by Angry cucumber
At most once a day. Get your calories and protein from real food

I've been getting about 2/3 of my protein from powdered sources for several years now. There's nothing to suggest protein from solid food is superior to whey protein for example - in fact, the amino acid profile stacks up against pretty much any other source of protein and it's also highly bioavailable. Not to mention unflavoured is the cheapest source of protein money can buy, in terms of cost per gram of protein.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I've been getting about 2/3 of my protein from powdered sources for several years now. There's nothing to suggest protein from solid food is superior to whey protein for example - in fact, the amino acid profile stacks up against pretty much any other source of protein and it's also highly bioavailable. Not to mention unflavoured is the cheapest source of protein money can buy, in terms of cost per gram of protein.

Yeah but it tastes like ****
Doesn’t matter how many. At most 1g per lb of body weight is required. So just try and get that much protein throughout the whole day, regardless of how many shakes you need.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Yeah but it tastes like ****

Only if you breathe in while drinking it :tongue:

Serious note though, some of the flavours MP knock out are actually delicious, I'm genuinely loving life when I'm sipping on my Cinnamon Danish flavoured whey :h:
Reply 7
Only if you breathe in while drinking it :tongue:

Serious note though, some of the flavours MP knock out are actually delicious, I'm genuinely loving life when I'm sipping on my Cinnamon Danish flavoured whey :h:

please tell me it's a gluten free powder because that sounds ****ing delicious
Original post by joesanders01
When and how many times a day would be best to have a protein shake? I'm 18 years old and am trying to gain both weight and muscle. I used to go gym once a day and so would have a shake with water (for quick recovery) after workout in the morning and a shake with milk (for extra calories) at lunch. Now I'm planning on going gym twice a day, once in the morning and late in the evening. Should I have this second shake after my second gym workout instead of lunch or perhaps 3 shakes a day?

Dont go to the gym more than once a day if you're doing any form of weight training, even with cardio I think you're overtraining.

If you're training weights I'd recommend training 5 times a week and having one protein shake per night before bed.

If your focus is cardio dont train more than 7-8 times a week, then drink protein shakes only when you feel recovery is needed, dont exceed 7 per week.
Only before or after your workout for optimal results. Before curbs appetite, after promotes muscle.

During the workout is for juice heads who plan on being there all damn day lol

protein isnt everything in diet, you have to account for nutrients and the overall health effects of overconsumption of protein supplements.
Original post by Airmed
please tell me it's a gluten free powder because that sounds ****ing delicious

I can't see anywhere that it says gluten free, the ingredients are listed as: Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk) (95%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Colour (E150a), Flavouring, Sweetener (Sucralose). No idea of the flavourings are gluten free though. Might be worth emailing them and inquiring about it?
Original post by Laurence863
protein isnt everything in diet, you have to account for nutrients and the overall health effects of overconsumption of protein supplements.

Why do you say that as if I'm eating nothing but whey protein all day? I said it makes up about 2/3 of my protein intake. I ingest 150g+ of protein per day, meaning I get 50g+ from food sources which is perfectly in line with healthy guidelines. Plus the various forms of carbohydrates and fats I consume daily, among them being fruits and veggies. My diet certainly isn't lacking in vitamins and minerals, I assure you of that.

What are these supposed health effects than come with the overconsumption of protein supplements? It's literally just extracted from whey, a dairy product. Healthline seems to suggest that the only dangers are in brands with high sugar content (MyProtein, which I use, are low in sugar) or if you have a lactose intolerance. Flavoured versions use sweeteners like sucralose, which hasn't been shown to have any harmful effects on humans, and studies showing that regular consumption has no significant effect on blood glucose and insulin, or fat mass.

Where do you buy yours from?
Original post by kurro
Where do you buy yours from?

MyProtein's website, they always have deals on. Granted, all suppliers have hiked their prices up which is annoying, but they do stuff like 30% off deals all the time so it doesn't work out as much as it first appears (which is a filthy marketing tactic lol, but they all do it).
Reply 14
Why do you say that as if I'm eating nothing but whey protein all day? I said it makes up about 2/3 of my protein intake. I ingest 150g+ of protein per day, meaning I get 50g+ from food sources which is perfectly in line with healthy guidelines. Plus the various forms of carbohydrates and fats I consume daily, among them being fruits and veggies. My diet certainly isn't lacking in vitamins and minerals, I assure you of that.

What are these supposed health effects than come with the overconsumption of protein supplements? It's literally just extracted from whey, a dairy product. Healthline seems to suggest that the only dangers are in brands with high sugar content (MyProtein, which I use, are low in sugar) or if you have a lactose intolerance. Flavoured versions use sweeteners like sucralose, which hasn't been shown to have any harmful effects on humans, and studies showing that regular consumption has no significant effect on blood glucose and insulin, or fat mass.

Went on MyProtein (I use them too and yup, I got lured in by those pesky 30% off deals) and cinnamon danish is GF :woo: a lot of the impact wheys aren't, but that one is, so paycheck can't come soon enough :lol:
Original post by Airmed
Went on MyProtein (I use them too and yup, I got lured in by those pesky 30% off deals) and cinnamon danish is GF :woo: a lot of the impact wheys aren't, but that one is, so paycheck can't come soon enough :lol:

Get in :biggrin: My sis is gluten free as well funnily enough and wanted to try some of my whey the other week actually, but I said I wasn't sure if she could have it so she should check the website but she didn't bother. Now I know :h:
You should never, since Whey is an animal product.

I'm just saying, progression isnt just based upon protein intake, if you have a balanced diet thats fine.

You talk about health guidelines but then say you're consuming 100g of whey protein a day, over-consuming anything is a poor choice for your body, especially dairy products, bowel problems, bloating, dehydration, kidney issues are a few of the many issues that could arise, unlikely of course but why wouldnt you just get more protein from sources with higher bioavailability?
Original post by Laurence863
I'm just saying, progression isnt just based upon protein intake, if you have a balanced diet thats fine.

You talk about health guidelines but then say you're consuming 100g of whey protein a day, over-consuming anything is a poor choice for your body, especially dairy products, bowel problems, bloating, dehydration, kidney issues are a few of the many issues that could arise, unlikely of course but why wouldnt you just get more protein from sources with higher bioavailability?

I didn't say that though, or insinuate it. Though, it's obviously a huge part of a successful diet with a goal of muscle gain in mind, and studies have shown that generally, much higher protein intakes than recommended by RDA are required for muscle growth https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-53

Spoiler

Though of course, a caloric surplus is also important.

100g isn't an extreme amount by any stretch. It goes with most food substances, if they're giving you any obvious gastrointestinal stress, then lower them, likewise if you've got kidney issues then a high protein diet might not be the best idea. Failing those, there is no problem. Also, whey protein is one of the most biologically available sources of protein there is, so that last sentence isn't applicable.

Quick Reply

Latest