The Student Room Group

Car insurance

Is it legal for me to insure my car using my parents address but take and use my car whilst I'm at uni ? .im at uni in a different town to my/ my parents home . I left my car at home last year but have moved out of halls now and live away from campus now so I would like to use my car . Any advice would be appreciated .
from my understanding you would have to change the address to where you live now, but i'd ask the insurance company, they'll have had plenty of experience with the same situation, a phone call will only take a few minutes
Original post by Smithiesmr
Is it legal for me to insure my car using my parents address but take and use my car whilst I'm at uni ? .im at uni in a different town to my/ my parents home . I left my car at home last year but have moved out of halls now and live away from campus now so I would like to use my car . Any advice would be appreciated .

You're supposed to tell them where the car is kept. It may not make any difference to your premium, but they need to know about where it's kept most of the time.

If something were to happen to you or your car whilst at Uni, and it's a big claim, then chances are someone will start asking questions... and there's a possibility that the wrong answers may void your insurance as you've not been honest with them.

Is the car insured in your name or your parents name? Depending on the location of your parents and your University, it may be cheaper for you to insure it at your university address anyway.

Why don't you make some off the record enquiries with some other insurance firms? Just phone up a couple of random insurance firms and say that you want to use your car at University but it's registered to your parents address. Then you'll know how the cars are stacked.
Reply 3
Original post by Old Skool Freak
You're supposed to tell them where the car is kept. It may not make any difference to your premium, but they need to know about where it's kept most of the time.

If something were to happen to you or your car whilst at Uni, and it's a big claim, then chances are someone will start asking questions... and there's a possibility that the wrong answers may void your insurance as you've not been honest with them.

Is the car insured in your name or your parents name? Depending on the location of your parents and your University, it may be cheaper for you to insure it at your university address anyway.

Why don't you make some off the record enquiries with some other insurance firms? Just phone up a couple of random insurance firms and say that you want to use your car at University but it's registered to your parents address. Then you'll know how the cars are stacked.

Thanks for your reply.
Original post by Smithiesmr

Where will it stay most of the time?

If it’s at uni, put the uni address you’ll keep the car at. You’re committing insurance fraud by giving the insurance invalid details, meaning in the event of a claim they won’t pay out and you’ll get flagged with agencies insurers use.
When I sorted insurance for my son, they wanted to know where the car was going to be the majority of the year - even though he was taking it to uni, with holidays he was actually home marginally more than he was at uni so they said to use home address
The address on the insurance should be the address where the car is kept the majority of the time. Your premium may change depending on which address you use as they take into account the area and things like crime statistics etc so picking an address based on price could invalidate your insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending