The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2020 Applicants (Compare statistics here)

Poll

What was your UCAT score?

Please ask questions and post your stats below:
GCSE:
A-level predicted grades
EPQ: Y/N
UCAT:
BMAT: (N/A)
Work Experience:
Universities you want to apply to:

For me:
GCSE: 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7 (9A*A)
A-level Predicted: A*A*A
EPQ: Yes (Bulimia and oral health)
UCAT: 2680 (670) Band 1
BMAT: N/A
Work Experience: 6 weeks
Universities I'm applying to: Kings, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham
Reply 2
GCSEs
2,9s - Chemistry and Physics
3,8s - Geog,CompSci and Maths
2,7s - EngLang and Biology
A Levels: AAB/AAA borderline Bio,Math and Chem - to be determined by the end of the week since I've just done a test
UCAT:
Overall 2490 and Band 4 (Think i just had a bad day since I was consistently scoring Band 1s with medify :/)
Work experience/Volunteering:
2 weeks dental work experience, 1 year volunteering with Beavers, 1 year volunteering at a Primary school, 6 months volunteering as a Patient Leader at Royal Berks Hospital

I haven't fully confirmed where I want to apply to but maybe: cardiff, bristol, birmingham, newcastle and warwick for biomed?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
(SQA does not offer A*'s to candidates)
National 5: AAAAAA
Higher: AAAAB
Advanced Higher: Not yet predicted
EPQ: N (Have done Silver CREST though)
UCAT: 2720 (680) Band 2
Work Experience: 6 days at a local practice
Universities you want to apply to: Glasgow, Dundee. Maybe Manchester and Newcastle
Reply 5
Original post by Jelle12
(SQA does not offer A*'s to candidates)
National 5: AAAAAA
Higher: AAAAB
Advanced Higher: Not yet predicted
EPQ: N (Have done Silver CREST though)
UCAT: 2720 (680) Band 2
Work Experience: 6 days at a local practice
Universities you want to apply to: Glasgow, Dundee. Maybe Manchester and Newcastle

Get more work ex for Manchester. They require minimum 2 weeks. If you can't get it, then write you did 2 weeks on your PS.
I’m starting at Cardiff this year (in 2 days actually) but if anyone has any questions let me know. I got offers from kings Cardiff Sheffield and Birmingham so can especially help with those
Reply 7
Original post by helenburns
I’m starting at Cardiff this year (in 2 days actually) but if anyone has any questions let me know. I got offers from kings Cardiff Sheffield and Birmingham so can especially help with those

Hello,
I'm interested in applying to Sheffield, was there like a cutoff of ucat scores? what ucat was the average score of applicants and does Sheffield put strong emphasis on ucat because I didn't score well.

Thank you
Thank you
Sheffield will require a better than average ucat score yes.
Reply 9

How did you do in UCAT?

Do you have any last-minute UCAT tips?
Reply 11
Hey,
Im confused as where to apply for 2020 dentistry.
I got 3A* and 7A , predicted AAA, UCAT 2480 (av 620) (so cardiff, Birmingham (due to IGCSE: cardiff most applicants have 5A*, Birmingham required A* in bio) QML and Kings (due to predictions they need A*AA) are out of the question) I have three weeks work experience at different specialities and done community service too.
Im worried as my UCAT score is low.
Was debating between Bristol and Sheffield as one of my choices but Bristol takes UCAT as 35% and I heard Sheffield requires higher UCAT scores which is better for me?
Could anyone please advise where to apply.
Thank you
GCSE : 4A* 8A
A Level Achieved : AAB (Chem, Maths, Bio)
Degree Predicted : 1st
EPQ: No
UCAT : 2890 (722.5) Band 2
BMAT : N/A
Work Experience: 3 Weeks General, 1 week Orthodontist, 1 year peer mentor volunteer at Uni, 2 years Part-Time Safety Steward
Universities : Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool

Not sure whether to swap bristol/lpool for sheffield if anyone has any advice

Applying as a graduate
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RedHelenB
Sheffield will require a better than average ucat score yes.

Are 6A*s good for Cardiff? Also what did you mention in your personal statement?

Also how did your interview go? Please can you give us any good tips for when/if we get to that stage?

I'm sorry there are so many questions:colondollar:
GCSE: 5A*s 4As and 5Bs
A-level predicted grades: AAB
EPQ: N/A
UCAT: avg. 620
Work Experience: 3 days at dental hospital
Universities you want to apply to: Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Cardiff
Original post by FabNugget
Are 6A*s good for Cardiff? Also what did you mention in your personal statement?

Also how did your interview go? Please can you give us any good tips for when/if we get to that stage?

I'm sorry there are so many questions:colondollar:

It was my daughter who applied. She got 8A* and 633 UK at and got an interview at Cardiff. She didnt get in but they gave written feedback. Interestingly they commented that she wasnt wearing a suit (not all negative as it said she was well presented) it was her first interview. Her mmi at Leeds was successful. And shes now at Newcastle in her 3rd year.

As to personal statement, she modelled it on what Leeds uni advised on their open day. Made sure she put in examples for each point.

I have Cardiff as one of my choices so I was wondering what your statistics were in terms of grades, UCAT score and work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest