The Student Room Group

really depressed again

i've started sixth form and really hating it. i hate the whole environment of the common room, its way too small for 400 people, i've tried to talking to groups of people but they don't seem particuarly interested. i can't relate to them, i've never done any of the things ive done. i have no friends, nothing. i've tried but it never seems to get anywhere. everyone says how i will, but they said that last year and the year before. i'm getting really angry, but most of its towarsd myself.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you do outside of school?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
i've started sixth form and really hating it. i hate the whole environment of the common room, its way too small for 400 people, i've tried to talking to groups of people but they don't seem particuarly interested. i can't relate to them, i've never done any of the things ive done. i have no friends, nothing. i've tried but it never seems to get anywhere. everyone says how i will, but they said that last year and the year before. i'm getting really angry, but most of its towarsd myself.

Does your secondary school have a sixth form? If so, is that where you've recently started? If not, do you have friends from secondary in the new sixth form, or at another college or sixth form? Being early in the year I wouldn't rule out moving to a different place of study as an option. If you left school without friends is there another college or sixth form you could consider that you think would be better suited to you? Those questions are important because of what you've said about not relating to anyone and trying to make friends. Yes I could suggest joining clubs/extra-curricular activities or approaching new people but I also can empathise that this is not always an easy step and you may possibly have tried already to no avail.

In terms of feeling depressed please talk to someone about how you feel. In order for things to get better you have to take the first step of reaching out to someone you trust, and then a professional such as your GP or a counsellor. I'd recommend making an appointment with a GP to discuss how you've been feeling. I hope things start to get better for you soon.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jsg9
Does your secondary school have a sixth form? If so, is that where you've recently started? If not, do you have friends from secondary in the new sixth form, or at another college or sixth form? Being early in the year I wouldn't rule out moving to a different place of study as an option. If you left school without friends is there another college or sixth form you could consider that you think would be better suited to you? Those questions are important because of what you've said about not relating to anyone and trying to make friends. Yes I could suggest joining clubs/extra-curricular activities or approaching new people but I also can empathise that this is not always an easy step and you may possibly have tried already to no avail.

In terms of feeling depressed please talk to someone about how you feel. In order for things to get better you have to take the first step of reaching out to someone you trust, and then a professional such as your GP or a counsellor. I'd recommend making an appointment with a GP to discuss how you've been feeling. I hope things start to get better for you soon.

i know some people in my year as it is part of my secondary school, and i've tried hanging around with them, and i can sit and talk with them etc but not much more than that. i don't think my parents want me to to move, and i can't think of if id even be happier elsewhere. the local college near me is just filled with people who are pretty horrible tbh, the sort of people who i got grief from before, and im not sure about other sixth forms.

i don't want to see a counsellor or gp because ive had them for years and i never benefited from them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nununu
What do you do outside of school?

norhing much tbh, but im not sure thats the problem. i mean i go to the gym a lot but thats about it. its not as if i have any friends

Personally I would recommend leaving and finding somewhere else where you feel comfortable. go to open days, talk to the students, find somewhere with support and good teachers because this will all affect you since you are there for 2 years. I would also recommend booking appointments with your GP and just talking to him/her to offload yourself (this is if you dont have a counsellor). I moved schools for sixth form and I didnt realise the mistake until im too late. I had finally got discahrged from CAMHS when I joined my sixth form and fast forward 2 years. After going to a rubbish sixth form with no emotional, mental, or physical support for my well-being or my studies, I am back in the same hole without the grades I wanted, without a university offer, still no support from the school, and no friends. It is genuinely a horrible place to be in and i wish no one ever has to experience the same thing. Since it is your original schools sixth form, you already have an understanding of how things are, so it gives you a good sense of whether to stay or not. I would also recommend building a support group, either in student room or from class mates whom you may develop a friendship with. someone you trust and know will always have your back, because that really does make a difference
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by pineapples2000
Personally I would recommend leaving and finding somewhere else where you feel comfortable. go to open days, talk to the students, find somewhere with support and good teachers because this will all affect you since you are there for 2 years. I would also recommend booking appointments with your GP and just talking to him/her to offload yourself (this is if you dont have a counsellor). I moved schools for sixth form and I didnt realise the mistake until im too late. I had finally got discahrged from CAMHS when I joined my sixth form and fast forward 2 years. After going to a rubbish sixth form with no emotional, mental, or physical support for my well-being or my studies, I am back in the same hole without the grades I wanted, without a university offer, still no support from the school, and no friends. It is genuinely a horrible place to be in and i wish no one ever has to experience the same thing. Since it is your original schools sixth form, you already have an understanding of how things are, so it gives you a good sense of whether to stay or not. I would also recommend building a support group, either in student room or from class mates whom you may develop a friendship with. someone you trust and know will always have your back, because that really does make a difference

i just think moving to a new school would add new stresses and i would just be forgotten because everyone else would know each other to some degree and i wouldnt at all
i just think moving to a new school would add new stresses and i would just be forgotten because everyone else would know each other to some degree and i wouldnt at all

not all schools are like that. most people i know integrated well even though I didnt. do you have any friends who may have moved away, and you could ask them for advice. otherwise please go seek medical help.
Reply 8
i know some people in my year as it is part of my secondary school, and i've tried hanging around with them, and i can sit and talk with them etc but not much more than that. i don't think my parents want me to to move, and i can't think of if id even be happier elsewhere. the local college near me is just filled with people who are pretty horrible tbh, the sort of people who i got grief from before, and im not sure about other sixth forms.

i don't want to see a counsellor or gp because ive had them for years and i never benefited from them.

I'm glad you can at least sit with and talk to people in the school day. Do you have any interests you could pursue outside of school or in school that could potentially lead to deeper friendships?

Sorry to hear you haven't found counsellors or talking to your GP useful. I would still not rule it out if you're in a place where you feel depressed and are ideating what it would be like to not be alive. There are lots of online resources for finding counsellors for online/phone talking sessions if you feel more comfortable than a face to face setting. You can also self refer to psychological services on the NHS in many areas of the country which can provide you with online resources such as online CBT to work through or talking therapies. I would keep seeing a GP until you find one who listens to your full situation. Explain to them that you have not found previous intervention helpful or beneficial and ask what other options there are to explore. Ring your practice and ask if they have a GP with a special interest in mental health. On the road to feeling better you may find friendships along the way, that's a bonus.
i've started sixth form and really hating it. i hate the whole environment of the common room, its way too small for 400 people, i've tried to talking to groups of people but they don't seem particuarly interested. i can't relate to them, i've never done any of the things ive done. This lunchtime i just though i'd just love to put a bullet in my head or something it would be easier to dissapear than be treated like a nobody once again and be lonely. i have no friends, nothing. i've tried but it never seems to get anywhere. everyone says how i will, but they said that last year and the year before. i'm getting really angry, but most of its towarsd myself. i know i wont kms but i feel like it because of how angry and upset i am

I literally feel the exact same but I'm in Year 11 currently. I have two casual friends that chat sometimes on discord with but I don't have anyone else and I'm more of a 3rd wheel. Although I personally have not done this I think you could just go to the gym and do some cardio or something. After something like P.E. in highschool I always feel alote better about myself and then for the rest of the week I feel like ****. So the gym could help and take your mind off things. Also you could go to open days for other sixforms or look on the internet for anything better becuase you have not got anything to loose apart from your parents opinions. But other than taking time off to take care of yourself I really don't know how to make friends either. Even when I chat to people on discord on other servers who I thought I have more chance to relate to it didnt work out. Same for real life they already have their friend groups and will not invite anyone else.

But just do you! Life is better with no friends at all than to hang around *******s or just people who you just can't have a conversation with more than 5 minutes. I would just say **** it and focus on your education to get those grades or you could get a job if your confident enough. Your grades will last forever so yeah...
Original post by newkid4003
I literally feel the exact same but I'm in Year 11 currently. I have two casual friends that chat sometimes on discord with but I don't have anyone else and I'm more of a 3rd wheel. Although I personally have not done this I think you could just go to the gym and do some cardio or something. After something like P.E. in highschool I always feel alote better about myself and then for the rest of the week I feel like ****. So the gym could help and take your mind off things. Also you could go to open days for other sixforms or look on the internet for anything better becuase you have not got anything to loose apart from your parents opinions. But other than taking time off to take care of yourself I really don't know how to make friends either. Even when I chat to people on discord on other servers who I thought I have more chance to relate to it didnt work out. Same for real life they already have their friend groups and will not invite anyone else.

But just do you! Life is better with no friends at all than to hang around *******s or just people who you just can't have a conversation with more than 5 minutes. I would just say **** it and focus on your education to get those grades or you could get a job if your confident enough. Your grades will last forever so yeah...

I'm fed up of being lonely and alone though...
I might be at ur skl if you pm me xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jadarose
is your school in East Ham? I might be at ur skl if you pm me xx

nowhere near lol
Reply 13
This is acc so relatable.

I was also depressed, starting sixth form, and I hardly had any friends. I sat alone in the library, and YR 13s would just stare thinking why the hell is there a YR12 studying so hard right at the beginning of the year (cos i went there so frequently). Long story short, im changing sixth form - gonna go somewhere else that might be **** BUT theres oppurtunities open, its better academically and i have a small bunch of friends there.

Seriously recommend changing schools - its been 2 weeks, youll have to stay somewhere for 2 years.

yeah... I think making friends is hard in general and there really isn't much you could do if you already tried to make friends but they just don't work out. I would say think about another sixth form. What helps me not feel lonely is just watch my favourite Twitch streamer have fun with other people. He's greekgodx and I watch vods of him talking to his online friends that he was able to interact with becuase got some fame on twitch. I feel less lonely becuase whenever I watch him I could relate to him. He never really had a friend and spent over a year isolated by himself playing Rust all day alone or watching YT vids. But becuase he now has a big audience he can share how he felt so depressed for so long and makes me personally relate so much to him and helps me to just hear another persons personal struggles to know I'm not alone.

Other than looking for people you like to watch on YT or twitch, I would say try to put effort into loving yourself. if it is taking a 30 minute walk or taking time off to just focus on your mental state and see what you don't like but uplift yourself and comfort yourself.
E.g. i for real had no friends at all in school so when it is the end of the year and in our school you get everyone of your friends to sign your shirt I will miss out on that becuase I'de rather stay home than with 2 names on my shirt. I also won't have any friends in 6th form. But who cares. The majority of people don't even keep their friends in highschool. There is always more chances like in uni or at work if you get a part time job or someone on discord or somone at the gym. Noone or at least for me, I can't remember how I even got friends or what our first conversation was about becuase friends come randomly at random times. You seem like a cool guy so cool people will attract other cool people. Just like boring people or just plain stupid people will attract other boring or stupid people (like bullies lul). But those people who could be your friends probably aren't in your current sixth form.

So overall:
experiment with twitch streamer's like (idk Andy Milonakis or whoever)
read about what other say about their experiences of having no friends in general or in sixth form
learn to love yourself and take care of yourself
uplift yourself and STOP putting yourself becuase you probably do but you just don't notice it
explore another sixth form but you probably will be in the same situation like you are now so focus on your grades and explore what you like to do I guess :smile:

If you need someone to talk to you could send me a message on this site and we could dm on discord becuase It could benefit the both of us. I'm fine with it even if you say no now but in 6 months you say you might as well. I already know I'm probably going to ask the same question when I go into sixth form probably too lol ;D

Hope the best!!! :smile:
yeah... I think making friends is hard in general and there really isn't much you could do if you already tried to make friends but they just don't work out. I would say think about another sixth form. What helps me not feel lonely is just watch my favourite Twitch streamer have fun with other people. He's greekgodx and I watch vods of him talking to his online friends that he was able to interact with becuase got some fame on twitch. I feel less lonely becuase whenever I watch him I could relate to him. He never really had a friend and spent over a year isolated by himself playing Rust all day alone or watching YT vids. But becuase he now has a big audience he can share how he felt so depressed for so long and makes me personally relate so much to him and helps me to just hear another persons personal struggles to know I'm not alone.

Other than looking for people you like to watch on YT or twitch, I would say try to put effort into loving yourself. if it is taking a 30 minute walk or taking time off to just focus on your mental state and see what you don't like but uplift yourself and comfort yourself.
E.g. i for real had no friends at all in school so when it is the end of the year and in our school you get everyone of your friends to sign your shirt I will miss out on that becuase I'de rather stay home than with 2 names on my shirt. I also won't have any friends in 6th form. But who cares. The majority of people don't even keep their friends in highschool. There is always more chances like in uni or at work if you get a part time job or someone on discord or somone at the gym. Noone or at least for me, I can't remember how I even got friends or what our first conversation was about becuase friends come randomly at random times. You seem like a cool guy so cool people will attract other cool people. Just like boring people or just plain stupid people will attract other boring or stupid people (like bullies lul). But those people who could be your friends probably aren't in your current sixth form.

So overall:
experiment with twitch streamer's like (idk Andy Milonakis or whoever)
read about what other say about their experiences of having no friends in general or in sixth form
learn to love yourself and take care of yourself
uplift yourself and STOP putting yourself becuase you probably do but you just don't notice it
explore another sixth form but you probably will be in the same situation like you are now so focus on your grades and explore what you like to do I guess :smile:

If you need someone to talk to you could send me a message on this site and we could dm on discord becuase It could benefit the both of us. I'm fine with it even if you say no now but in 6 months you say you might as well. I already know I'm probably going to ask the same question when I go into sixth form probably too lol ;D

Hope the best!!! :smile:

thing is my parents are really anti me moving schools
thing is my parents are really anti me moving schools

Say you just want to look at other schools just incase. If you find the right school you think is for you then pursuade your parents to move and say it would make you feel a lot more happy and you really don't like your current school. Say it has only been like 2 weeks and could always go back if you don't feel like you made the right choice.

You could also say " I know you want the best for my to be in a good school but it's not like it's the only option. I really want to look at other sixth forms to make sure I made the right decision and just explore my options more. I just want to make sure I actually like going to this school becuase I'm going to be going for 2 years. I will still still put the same effort into my classes and get the same grades just in another school where I'm more happy becuase I don't feel entirely happy in my current school. "
Say you just want to look at other schools just incase. If you find the right school you think is for you then pursuade your parents to move and say it would make you feel a lot more happy and you really don't like your current school. Say it has only been like 2 weeks and could always go back if you don't feel like you made the right choice.

You could also say " I know you want the best for my to be in a good school but it's not like it's the only option. I really want to look at other sixth forms to make sure I made the right decision and just explore my options more. I just want to make sure I actually like going to this school becuase I'm going to be going for 2 years. I will still still put the same effort into my classes and get the same grades just in another school where I'm more happy becuase I don't feel entirely happy in my current school. "

They just keep saying "its only been 2 weeks" and that i haven't given it enough time...thank you, i'll have a go
They just keep saying "its only been 2 weeks" and that i haven't given it enough time...thank you, i'll have a go

Cool! Also say it's been 2 weeks and that's perfectly enough time to try out other schools. There is no harm.

I hope you do great dude and do what makes you happy. I know when I get to your stage with starting sixth form next year I would be asking the same questions for reassurance. Still afriad myself but I'm sure I'll be fine. I probably still won't have any freinds by then but F it lulw <3

Sometimes being alone is better than being with toxic people. Just do your best at school, enjoy your family ( friends are not that important) and in a few years, you will be out of school, working and making a lot of money. Create a goal in life and go f

Quick Reply

Latest