The Student Room Group

Will I be accepted to Oxbridge with AAAA for Engineering

Hi guys, I got AAAB for my Year 12 mocks, but pretty sure I can get maths pushed up to an A, possibly further maths to an A*. What are the chances of me getting accepted (offered) a place at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
do you meet the entry requirements?
Reply 3
Original post by bubblecat
do you meet the entry requirements?

I don't think so, the entry requirements are A*A*A but I'm doing 4 A Levels.
Original post by MutC

U need A*AAA so if you can push them up and have a really good personal statement obviously they will consider u. Also you are doing 4 a levels which show your a hard working student at the end of the day even if you only need 3.
If you don't get A* maths there's no chance
Reply 6
Original post by Deisosospiw
U need A*AAA so if you can push them up and have a really good personal statement obviously they will consider u. Also you are doing 4 a levels which show your a hard working student at the end of the day even if you only need 3.

Yeah true, but I spoke to my teachers, I can't get maths or physics up to an A*, and Cambridge requires A* in maths or physics, so I'm in a bit of jam.
Do you think I should apply without meeting the entry requirements?
Reply 7
Original post by HannibalBurgers
If you don't get A* maths there's no chance

My school has a policy against bumping up two grades, so there's no chance in getting an A* in maths for me. Should I apply without meeting the requirements?
I mean if you have predicted A* FMaths and A Maths the unis are going to be a little confused. I would say apply if you have one of your 5 options free. You still have a decent chance of getting on offer as you have A* FMaths but if you do get an interview you're going to have to ace it. I didn't apply to either as I knew I would fail interview, plus STEP requirement for Maths at Cambridge is crazy high. I have a lot of friends who are starting at Cambridge this month for maths/engineering based courses and all were predicted and achieved A* in both Maths and FMaths.
no regardless of how many subjects you do the entry requirements dont change you need A*A*A X
Original post by MutC

then no you probably wont
Original post by OptimisticMedic
no regardless of how many subjects you do the entry requirements dont change you need A*A*A X

I asked a lot of TSR people the question on whether having 4 Alevels was appropriate to get into a good uni.
The answer they gave me was "better to have A*AA than AAAA" unis to my knowledge dont look at you any different whether you do 3 or 4.
Would only recommend doing 4 if you genuinely enjoy all your subjects or are willing to completely eradicate your social life.
Reply 12
I asked a lot of TSR people the question on whether having 4 Alevels was appropriate to get into a good uni.
The answer they gave me was "better to have A*AA than AAAA" unis to my knowledge dont look at you any different whether you do 3 or 4.
Would only recommend doing 4 if you genuinely enjoy all your subjects or are willing to completely eradicate your social life.

I can't do anything about the number of A-Levels i'm doing, not really willing to drop further maths right now after doing a whole year (without doing an AS exam). But I went to a Cambridge open day, and they said they really really like further maths as a fourth a level which goes in my favour?
My main question is; would I be given an offer with my current grades: (AAAA) possibly (A*AAA)
Original post by MutC
Hi guys, I got AAAB for my Year 12 mocks, but pretty sure I can get maths pushed up to an A, possibly further maths to an A*. What are the chances of me getting accepted (offered) a place at Cambridge?

Usually, I'd say no. However, I believe that Cambrdige now participate in Adjustment, so that may be a way. The best way to really know is to ask your choice of college for their opinion.

In any case, IMO, you will need to beat your predictions. Good luck.
Reply 14
Original post by HannibalBurgers
I mean if you have predicted A* FMaths and A Maths the unis are going to be a little confused. I would say apply if you have one of your 5 options free. You still have a decent chance of getting on offer as you have A* FMaths but if you do get an interview you're going to have to ace it. I didn't apply to either as I knew I would fail interview, plus STEP requirement for Maths at Cambridge is crazy high. I have a lot of friends who are starting at Cambridge this month for maths/engineering based courses and all were predicted and achieved A* in both Maths and FMaths.

I haven't got the A* in FM yet, I still need to appeal it. I'm as confused as they would be to be honest. I'm just wondering if I'd get an offer with my current grades of AAAA possibly A*AAA. I don't need to do STEP (which is extremely hard), I just need to do two AS Maths and Physics exams. I just have no clue if I'm gonna get the offer or not.
Reply 15
Original post by RogerOxon
Usually, I'd say no. However, I believe that Cambrdige now participate in Adjustment, so that may be a way. The best way to really know is to ask your choice of college for their opinion.

In any case, IMO, you will need to beat your predictions. Good luck.

Yeah I tried contacting their admissions office today, no answer. Yep I just need to smash my actual A-Levels
Original post by MutC
I haven't got the A* in FM yet, I still need to appeal it. I'm as confused as they would be to be honest. I'm just wondering if I'd get an offer with my current grades of AAAA possibly A*AAA. I don't need to do STEP (which is extremely hard), I just need to do two AS Maths and Physics exams. I just have no clue if I'm gonna get the offer or not.

I think you need A*A*A to get in so you have to get those regardless on the quantity of A-levels you are doing.
I would recommend speaking to some Cambridge students on this site.
I know there is a med forum where you can ask whether you're likely to be accepted by medical schools based on results etc maybe there is one for engineering?
Original post by MutC

just do what you can to improve your predicted grades. don't worry if you don't get an offer - there are plenty of other great unis. if you do get an offer then you're going to have to do very well in the interview (if required) as well as your actual a-levels
I think you need A*A*A to get in so you have to get those regardless on the quantity of A-levels you are doing.
I would recommend speaking to some Cambridge students on this site.
I know there is a med forum where you can ask whether you're likely to be accepted by medical schools based on results etc maybe there is one for engineering?

This is just my opinion OP I am not experienced in this matter so dont take anything i said for fact.
Original post by MutC

The current advice is that you won't get invited to interview unless you are predicted the basic entry requirements. 4 A levels don't make up for the 3 A level grades required, as the Admissions staff in the Cambridge forum repeatedly keep saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending