The Student Room Group

can you have depression if everything is good

if everything is good in your life can you have depression. Similarly I have had some negative parts in my life for a few years now. I could forget about them and I wouldn't feel depressed. I think about them a lot and they make me feel depressed. Does this mean I have depression or does it just mean there are hard things in your life which upset you?
Original post by Anonymous
if everything is good in your life can you have depression. Similarly I have had some negative parts in my life for a few years now. I could forget about them and I wouldn't feel depressed. I think about them a lot and they make me feel depressed. Does this mean I have depression or does it just mean there are hard things in your life which upset you?

depression doesnt have to be about whether your life is good or bad; it can be a chemical imbalance in your brain. See a doctor and get a proper answer

You're life can the best it can possibly be and you can still have depression. Depression doesn't discriminate.
But definitely go to your doctor to get a proper diagnosis :smile:
Reply 3

Depression isn't just 'I have it' or 'I don't have it'. It's a scale. Everyone experiences low mood sometimes and it is completely normal. Depression becomes an issue when it goes on for a longer period of time and affects other aspects of your life. For example, if you're struggling to concentrate at work or school, having difficulty forming or maintaining relationships with friends or romantic partners, becoming more easily irritated, eating more/less than usual, drinking more alcohol etc., then it is worth seeking advice from your GP or finding other help from helplines such as the Samaritans, or looking for private counselling.
Reply 4

there are 2 types of depression basically, situational - when it's caused by something in your life, and clinical - caused by internal factors.
so the answer to your question is yes, you can have depression even if everything in your life is 'good'
Original post by Ciel.
there are 2 types of depression basically, situational - when it's caused by something in your life, and clinical - caused by internal factors.
so the answer to your question is yes, you can have depression even if everything in your life is 'good'

what have you been smoking bruv, depression is depression.
Reply 6

no, it isn't
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.

Mmm... not exactly. Clinical depression just refers to more severe forms of depression. It differs from, say, depression brought on by loss. However, mild, moderate and severe depression can all generally be treated with medication or talking therapies. Also, clinical depression can be triggered by life events, just as mild depression or shorter periods of low mood. There aren't exactly two types of depression, but depression can vary in severity.
Original post by Ciel.
no, it isn't

Wow your so intellectual

/s
Reply 9
Original post by Nerol
Mmm... not exactly. Clinical depression just refers to more severe forms of depression. It differs from, say, depression brought on by loss. However, mild, moderate and severe depression can all generally be treated with medication or talking therapies. Also, clinical depression can be triggered by life events, just as mild depression or shorter periods of low mood. There aren't exactly two types of depression, but depression can vary in severity.

it's a matter of opinion i guess. sure, you also have episodes of depression in bipolar, and that's different too, but in general you have two basic types, one caused by external factors - grief, illness, whatever, and one cause by internal factors, like 'chemical imbalance' and all that.

I would read Lost Connections by Johann Hari, not as an authoritative source, but as a piece of work that seeks to answer your questions in a rounded way.

One aspect is 'everything is good' is a semantic and societal issue. So people are told that everything is good in their life, but there are nevertheless perfectly good reasons why someone might be depressed.
To answer several posts at once, aimed at the opening post.

Dysthymia is a term that although used again and again throughout the NHS isn't really used in the UK.

Referring to what one poster referred to. 'Endogenous' and 'Exogenous' depression were terms used in the past that are still used in some mental health circles, but it's really frowned upon and not cool. It was a widely held view some decades ago so still trickles down to today. Many people view it (the fully explained version rather than soundbites) as unhelpful or even offensive and view it as stuck in the 1970s and 1980s. If you want to look that up then google all that. Others see the earlier version of what it used to be called as an interesting way of explaining how society has seen depression (my view).
Original post by Ciel.
it's a matter of opinion i guess. sure, you also have episodes of depression in bipolar, and that's different too, but in general you have two basic types, one caused by external factors - grief, illness, whatever, and one cause by internal factors, like 'chemical imbalance' and all that.

Actually yes, Ciel is right.
yes because i have depression and i can’t even explain why i feel that way.

Quick Reply

Latest