The Student Room Group

Is he cheating on me?

My boyfriend of 7 months-now fiance, engaged since last month is always on his phone. We don't live together yet so I go to his house to hang out.
Whenever I'm with him he rarely puts his phone down. The other day I timed mentally how long he was on his phone while I was there- straight 20 or so mins of constant rapid texting , loud tapping away and he didnt say much at all

I found out a few months ago that he was following women's instagram accounts of provocative images. I questioned him and his response was he didnt know :| he didnt check their profiles out before following them :|
He later deleted them off

Today I found that he's following yet another woman flashing her bits and pieces for all to show after the almost heartbreak I had from the other occasion ( this account I definitely didn't encounter from last time, so he has recently started to follow her after I confronted him the last time)

He has alot of notifications on his lock screen and I asked him what they all were, he quickly swapped them all off before I could see them

When I sit down next to him , he'll lean to oneside to message so that I can't see his screen display. He also brought a new phone case which reflects light so that no one can see the screen from a side angle. Thankfully for me it doesn't fit his phone.

I may be overthinking but two days after proposing he told me that he'd been lying about quitting smoking which was a big deal for me as I was under the impression that he quit way before we were together

So I have lost trust in him because of that and more so with his increasing strange phone behaviour

We're both 19 and so I expect him to be on his phone alot but when he's on it constantly it hurts. He takes it everywhere with him, if he needs to pop downstairs for a quick snack/drink, even to the bathroom.

The rare occasions when he isn't on it, he'll pick it up straight away as soon as he gets a notification

He's in alot of facebook groups and he says I wouldn't like the content shared in them, he has a dark/sick sense of humour. Which often offends me and makes me feel sick and angry.

But that doesn't explain every single time he hides his phone.

After telling him that lieing the first time hurt me he says that if he didn't care he wouldn't of proposed. Which is true. He proposed by his own choice. But that doesn't mean to say he can't cheat. Alot of people cheat when they are supposedly 'happily' married.
He says he loves me and he wants to regain my trust, but he isn't easing my worries with all this.

From what I've said about tilting his phone/attempted to buy a secretive phonecase and following provocative accounts along with the other things I've mentioned. Am I overreacting, making a big deal out of nothing or is there something more to it?

Please help
you’re 19.

you’ve been together 7 months.

he’s lied to you for a prolonged period of time before.

you’re engaged.

........ this definitely isn’t going to end well.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend of 7 months-now fiance, engaged since last month is always on his phone. We don't live together yet so I go to his house to hang out.
Whenever I'm with him he rarely puts his phone down. The other day I timed mentally how long he was on his phone while I was there- straight 20 or so mins of constant rapid texting , loud tapping away and he didnt say much at all

I found out a few months ago that he was following women's instagram accounts of provocative images. I questioned him and his response was he didnt know :| he didnt check their profiles out before following them :|
He later deleted them off

Today I found that he's following yet another woman flashing her bits and pieces for all to show after the almost heartbreak I had from the other occasion ( this account I definitely didn't encounter from last time, so he has recently started to follow her after I confronted him the last time)

He has alot of notifications on his lock screen and I asked him what they all were, he quickly swapped them all off before I could see them

When I sit down next to him , he'll lean to oneside to message so that I can't see his screen display. He also brought a new phone case which reflects light so that no one can see the screen from a side angle. Thankfully for me it doesn't fit his phone.

I may be overthinking but two days after proposing he told me that he'd been lying about quitting smoking which was a big deal for me as I was under the impression that he quit way before we were together

So I have lost trust in him because of that and more so with his increasing strange phone behaviour

We're both 19 and so I expect him to be on his phone alot but when he's on it constantly it hurts. He takes it everywhere with him, if he needs to pop downstairs for a quick snack/drink, even to the bathroom.

The rare occasions when he isn't on it, he'll pick it up straight away as soon as he gets a notification

He's in alot of facebook groups and he says I wouldn't like the content shared in them, he has a dark/sick sense of humour. Which often offends me and makes me feel sick and angry.

But that doesn't explain every single time he hides his phone.

After telling him that lieing the first time hurt me he says that if he didn't care he wouldn't of proposed. Which is true. He proposed by his own choice. But that doesn't mean to say he can't cheat. Alot of people cheat when they are supposedly 'happily' married.
He says he loves me and he wants to regain my trust, but he isn't easing my worries with all this.

From what I've said about tilting his phone/attempted to buy a secretive phonecase and following provocative accounts along with the other things I've mentioned. Am I overreacting, making a big deal out of nothing or is there something more to it?

Please help

nothing wrong with the instagram bit, but sounds like he's texting other girls.
Too much too young I think
oof good luck. I feel like his activity is suspicious and you should try to get on his phone (I know that it seems impossible, but you'll never know the truth unless you do that). Try talking people who he's friends with and try to gain information. He seems like he's hiding something, but it's best to stick with the facts and not jump to conclusions. If he doesn't let you see his phone there's probably a big thing going on because he's hiding and keeping secrets in a relationship. I know that if I had a boyfriend who's doing the same things that your boyfriend is doing, I would be a little suspicious because that means that he's probably seeing someone else. If you want to spend time with him, maybe try telling him that you want to spend some time with him with no electronic devices. Good luck.
add my snap me_shayan
im always here to get back at him ; )
This is why you generally shouldn't get engaged to someone after only knowing them for 7 months
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
This is why you generally shouldn't get engaged to someone after only knowing them for 7 months

And also when you get engaged when you're super young... this is a recipe for disaster

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending