The Student Room Group

Practical VS ATP - URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED !

Hello,

In Cambridge Examination Board, at GCSE/O Level.
Physics, Chemistry and Biology have 3 Papers so the last part is PRACTICAL so its PAPER 3 gradually.

Now there is ATP - Alternative To Practical, now it is wise no not do LAB CLasses for to take PAPER 3 and take ATP?

Like some teachers suggested me that if you don't take PAPER 3 like doing LAB PRACTICAL then you will have to face consequences at A Levels as well in Universities and might in your carrier as well, so is that right?

Others mentioned that for Private Student you don't need to do Practical, only school students can bla bla...

So now the main thing is that, do I need to take PAPER 3 OR PAPER 4?
AS for any part of being Engineering, or BIO TECH etc....
Mainly for Pure Science students, should Paper 3 taken in this level or not.

Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello! I need emergency help please respond to my Question as soon as possible! I need to take a decision fast!
@Lemur14 @Starlight15 @ClubNeon @mpaprika

I ask for the GCSE Mods for your help here.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Just do what everyone else at your school is doing. I know you PMed me for help with this but I don't know much about international GCSEs.
A-level sciences have required practicals, but what you do in your GCSE won't directly affect how you do in A-level.
Original post by Dakent
@Lemur14 @Starlight15 @ClubNeon @mpaprika

I ask for the GCSE Mods for your help here.

Apart from me none of these people have any additional responsibilities in GCSEs :tongue:
I would advise you to take the practical element, it's useful for A level and the alternative to practical is only really meant to be used for people who cannot do the practical element rather than are choosing not to :tongue:
Original post by Sinnoh
Just do what everyone else at your school is doing. I know you PMed me for help with this but I don't know much about international GCSEs.
A-level sciences have required practicals, but what you do in your GCSE won't directly affect how you do in A-level.

I am doing GCSE (O Level - UK) for all subjects not the IGCSE actually.

Original post by Lemur14
Apart from me none of these people have any additional responsibilities in GCSEs :tongue:
I would advise you to take the practical element, it's useful for A level and the alternative to practical is only really meant to be used for people who cannot do the practical element rather than are choosing not to :tongue:

Well you meant to say is that, those who find Practical hard for them the ATP paper has been introduced? Like for my case, I don't find it hard just wanted the read why there is ATP Paper and is it "Recommended" to take Practical for all triple Sciences or not for best resolution of results as well going smooth in life carrier.
Original post by Dakent
I am doing GCSE (O Level - UK) for all subjects not the IGCSE actually.

Well you meant to say is that, those who find Practical hard for them the ATP paper has been introduced? Like for my case, I don't find it hard just wanted the read why there is ATP Paper and is it "Recommended" to take Practical for all triple Sciences or not for best resolution of results as well going smooth in life carrier.

When I say hard, I really mean like for instance, their school does not have the facilities to offer practicals, they cannot safely do them due to a disability or similar reason. It's best to do the practical paper as that's what most people will do and if you ever wanted to do anything with science in the future it would be useful to have some experience with safety measures and similar taken in practicals.
Original post by Lemur14
When I say hard, I really mean like for instance, their school does not have the facilities to offer practicals, they cannot safely do them due to a disability or similar reason. It's best to do the practical paper as that's what most people will do and if you ever wanted to do anything with science in the future it would be useful to have some experience with safety measures and similar taken in practicals.

I see, yeah my teachers were saying that some school don't offer lab classes / practical because of lack of their lab materials for science subjects. So I am a private candidate so in my coaching / tution center the lab is not fully occupied with lab facilities like bunch of several chemicals etc only few. So only my chemistry teacher told that those who are in good schools can do labs / take practical.

So in that case of my if I take now ATP what will be the cause for A Levels and future? Like I should have to do extra course before or after going to University for lab classes? or university will teach me all the basics of all triple sciences of practical?
Original post by Dakent
I see, yeah my teachers were saying that some school don't offer lab classes / practical because of lack of their lab materials for science subjects. So I am a private candidate so in my coaching / tution center the lab is not fully occupied with lab facilities like bunch of several chemicals etc only few. So only my chemistry teacher told that those who are in good schools can do labs / take practical.

So in that case of my if I take now ATP what will be the cause for A Levels and future? Like I should have to do extra course before or after going to University for lab classes? or university will teach me all the basics of all triple sciences of practical?

Ahh sorry, didn't see you were a private candidate. ATP is also aimed at private candidates since lots of schools are happy to take private candidates for exams but not for practicals. If that is the case, then you can do the ATP :yep:
You wouldn't usually (to my knowledge) end up doing extra courses to catch up in practicals later on, and you would hope that the safety aspects you should have learnt from them would be repeated, however if you ever got to a later stage not having done any practicals and safety matters were assumed then you should talk to your teacher immediately :yep:
Original post by Lemur14
Ahh sorry, didn't see you were a private candidate. ATP is also aimed at private candidates since lots of schools are happy to take private candidates for exams but not for practicals. If that is the case, then you can do the ATP :yep:
You wouldn't usually (to my knowledge) end up doing extra courses to catch up in practicals later on, and you would hope that the safety aspects you should have learnt from them would be repeated, however if you ever got to a later stage not having done any practicals and safety matters were assumed then you should talk to your teacher immediately :yep:

So you final suggestion / recommendation is? As I am a little bit confused and a lot nervous that if I don't take Practical will I have to face my darkest days in my life or not or even left behind while others go catching the gold. :frown:
Original post by Dakent
So you final suggestion / recommendation is? As I am a little bit confused and a lot nervous that if I don't take Practical will I have to face my darkest days in my life or not or even left behind while others go catching the gold. :frown:

I would always recommend you take the practical if that's possible. However if you're a private candidate and your exam centre cannot offer you the practical then go with the alternative :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
I would always recommend you take the practical if that's possible. However if you're a private candidate and your exam centre cannot offer you the practical then go with the alternative :smile:

OK, now I feel more confident. Really appreciate your help. :wink:
Original post by Dakent
OK, now I feel more confident. Really appreciate your help. :wink:

Glad to hear it! You're welcome :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Glad to hear it! You're welcome :smile:

@Lemur14 Please check you PM - Personal Message as soon as possible!
@Lemur14 Please check the message, if you are seeing this don't ignore this please or I can share it here if you want to`

Quick Reply

Latest