The Student Room Group

Further Maths Module Selection Confusion

Hi all, am currently self-studying further maths on a gap year and am quite confused by the module selection as shown in the spec. Is 'Further Pure 1' at AS the same as 'Further Pure 1' as described in the A-Level spec? Same with the others is stats 1 the same content in both years? If so can I choose say Further Pure 1 and stats 1 at both a-level and AS? Or if I choose FP1 at AS can I not take it at A-Level?

(Exam board - Edexcel)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Student 1011
Hi all, am currently self-studying further maths on a gap year and am quite confused by the module selection as shown in the spec. Is 'Further Pure 1' at AS the same as 'Further Pure 1' as described in the A-Level spec? Same with the others is stats 1 the same content in both years? If so can I choose say Further Pure 1 and stats 1 at both a-level and AS? Or if I choose FP1 at AS can I not take it at A-Level?

AS and A Level are now two entirely separate qualifications so they don't share any exams. Most students don't do AS and I question whether you need to if you're self-studying? My guess would be no and if that's the case then I recommend ignoring everything that mentions "AS" and just focus on A Level maths.
Oh really, you think just completely ignore AS and focus on A2? Do you think there would be any disadvantage to doing so in terms of Uni apps? Is the AS content not a precursor to the A2? Am already half-way through C1
Reply 3
Oh really, you think just completely ignore AS and focus on A2? Do you think there would be any disadvantage to doing so in terms of Uni apps? Is the AS content not a precursor to the A2? Am already half-way through C1

Before I reply to this can you please clarify whether you're a UK student or an international student?
Technically don't live in the UK but would be doing GCE Further and not the international variant. At this point, I am thinking maybe cover the AS content to ensure my base maths improves, cover the A2 content and then only sit A2. But then is it even really worth not sitting AS...
Reply 5
Technically don't live in the UK but would be doing GCE Further and not the international variant. At this point, I am thinking maybe cover the AS content to ensure my base maths improves, cover the A2 content and then only sit A2. But then is it even really worth not sitting AS...

Ok so you will be sitting A Level Further Maths and not International A Level Further Maths.

The AS content is identical to year 1 of the A Level content. There is no such thing as "A2" anymore. A Level textbooks will have titles like "Year 1 / AS" and "Year 2". You will need to know all of the Year 1 and Year 2 content before you take the A Level exams.

When do you plan to sit the A Level exams? If it's next June then there's no point at all taking AS exams.
Reply 6

Speaking for the Edexcel English A Level:

Core Pure 1 is entirely first year (AS).

Core Pure 2 is entirely second year (A2).

All of the other units span both years. So, for example, if you do FM1, there is some first year content and some second year content.

If you were to take AS exams at the end of the first year, they would only include the first year content, whereas the exams at the end of the course would include content from both years.

It is worth studying the first year content first, as the second year content is more advanced. The Pearson text books clearly indicate which content is first year and which is second year.
Ok I see where you are coming from. Yeah **** it may aswell skip doing the AS exam. Wait a second... I self-studied all of Year 13 and booked all my exams etc right. I sat all my AS levels and then sat all my A-Levels on top of them. Was that entirely pointless? Do schools in the UK only sit the A-Level at the end of the second year and not the AS?
Reply 8
Original post by Pangol
Speaking for the Edexcel English A Level:

Core Pure 1 is entirely first year (AS).

Core Pure 2 is entirely second year (A2).

All of the other units span both years. So, for example, if you do FM1, there is some first year content and some second year content.

If you were to take AS exams at the end of the first year, they would only include the first year content, whereas the exams at the end of the course would include content from both years.

It is worth studying the first year content first, as the second year content is more advanced. The Pearson text books clearly indicate which content is first year and which is second year.

This is not correct. For A Level, Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2 assess pure content across the whole of A Level further maths.
Reply 9
Ok I see where you are coming from. Yeah **** it may aswell skip doing the AS exam. Wait a second... I self-studied all of Year 13 and booked all my exams etc right. I sat all my AS levels and then sat all my A-Levels on top of them. Was that entirely pointless? Do schools in the UK only sit the A-Level at the end of the second year and not the AS?

If students are planning to do the full A Level then they will only sit the A Level exams in Year 13 and may or may not sit the AS Level exams in Year 12 (most don't now). They won't sit both in Year 13 because that's pointless, as you say.
Wow I am one dumb mother****er then, sat an extra 7 exams at a cost of ~£400 for no reason. Kinda wish I didn't know.

Original post by Sir Cumference
If students are planning to do the full A Level then they will only sit the A Level exams in Year 13 and may or may not sit the AS Level exams in Year 12 (most don't now). They won't sit both in Year 13 because that's pointless, as you say.
Reply 11
Wow I am one dumb mother****er then, sat an extra 7 exams at a cost of ~£400 for no reason. Kinda wish I didn't know.

Were these definitely UK A Level exams and not IAL exams?

If they were UK exams then that does seem pointless and it's a shame that you wasted the money. Self-studying can cause these problems because students don't have the support of a school to do the admin work :frown:
Definitely UK A-Levels as I was in Y12 in the UK before moving abroad. Yeah for whatever reason I just assumed that all students took both A2 and AS, as used to be the case. Oh well everything worked out fine and alot of the content was the same anyway.

So in conclusion to this thread, I need to study both AS and A-Level content as I will be examined on each but only need to sit the A-Level papers which have content from both AS and A-Level modules eg AS FP1 and A-Level FP1 topics are in the A-Level FP1 paper.

Thanks for your help!
Reply 13
Definitely UK A-Levels as I was in Y12 in the UK before moving abroad. Yeah for whatever reason I just assumed that all students took both A2 and AS, as used to be the case. Oh well everything worked out fine and alot of the content was the same anyway.

So in conclusion to this thread, I need to study both AS and A-Level content as I will be examined on each but only need to sit the A-Level papers which have content from both AS and A-Level modules eg AS FP1 and A-Level FP1 topics are in the A-Level FP1 paper.

Thanks for your help!

Yes that's all correct. You can pretty much ignore anything that says "AS" now. You just need to make sure that you've learnt everything in the A Level spec before your exams (all the pure content as well as the applied paper choices you make)

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf

As you're self-teaching, if you ever have maths questions (as well as questions like this) then make sure you ask in this forum. Many students have used this forum in the past like a teacher to help them when they get stuck.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Sir Cumference
This is not correct. For A Level, Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2 assess pure content across the whole of A Level further maths.

You are of course correct in terms of the papers called Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2. I was talking about the Pearson text books with the same names, which have all of the AS content in Core Pure 1 and all of the A2 content in Core Pure 2. Not at all confusing! But I should have been clearer.

Quick Reply

Latest