The Student Room Group

Anaesthetics/F3

Hi all,

My first time posting on here, I'm currently an FY2 and am planning to take an F3 and considering a career in Anaesthetics. I plan to get a SHO fellow job in anaesthetics.

As I plan on taking a year out, I was wondering if it would be good for my application to undertake an exam such as MRCP/MRCS as I noticed there isn't a specific exam when applying for core anaesthetics training. I also don't mind sitting an exam and just having a refresher since med school! Also open to any other ideas on preparing my F3 year to help boost my application!
Original post by moment4life
Hi all,

My first time posting on here, I'm currently an FY2 and am planning to take an F3 and considering a career in Anaesthetics. I plan to get a SHO fellow job in anaesthetics.

As I plan on taking a year out, I was wondering if it would be good for my application to undertake an exam such as MRCP/MRCS as I noticed there isn't a specific exam when applying for core anaesthetics training. I also don't mind sitting an exam and just having a refresher since med school! Also open to any other ideas on preparing my F3 year to help boost my application!

According to these documents, you get points for extra postgrad exams when applying for ST3 (but apparently not CT1):

https://anro.wm.hee.nhs.uk/Portals/3/Documents/National/CT1%20Self%20Assessment%20Criteria%202019.pdf?ver=2018-09-06-142847-120

https://anro.wm.hee.nhs.uk/Portals/3/Documents/National/ST3%20Self%20Assessment%20Criteria%202019.pdf?ver=2019-01-11-125237-363

Passing a postgraduate exam is only ever a positive thing and I think a lot of people feel they deskill during FY1/2, so I'd say it's a pretty valid reason to want to do an exam - even if you don't intend to go into that specialty.
Reply 2
Hi all,

I am not aware of there being many SHO level jobs in anaesthetics for people with no experience. You would be no use for service provision (which is what trust grade jobs are for) as you can't practice independently, so unless you got very lucky and found a hospital willing to train you up despite it not being an official training post, you may struggle. ICU F3-type jobs, on the other hand, are available - I did one - and don't need prior experience, but would still give you points on an anaesthetic application. Worth trying to get a taster week during FY2 as well, and/or seeing if you can get involved in some kind of anaesthetic-related audit/QI project.

I'm not sure if exams get you extra points - it did when I applied but from what Democracy's posted, it looks like they may have dropped that criterion. You do still get points for courses like ATLS/APLS, so if you have some money to throw at your application, that's one option. Lots more emphasis on QI/CG stuff now, so that's another option.
If anything, you'll be better served by getting 6-12 months experience in a complementary acute specialty (medicine, ED) as these will get you more points on an application than an anaesthetics job. The ideal way to spend a year (to maximise points) would be 6 months ICU and 6 months medicine/ED. As Helenia mentioned, there aren't many anaesthetic departments at all that will take on an F3 - it's simply not worth it for them. Anaesthetics is fairly unique in that the RCoA literally don't allow you to do any unsupervised anaesthetics work for the first 3 to 6 months of a placement, as you are required to develop the skills to administer a 'simple' general anaesthetic, and have to complete 5 specific CEX, 6 specific DOPS and 8 specific CBDs in this time, in order to demonstrate competence. Essentially it's not worth a department's time (and money) to have someone supernumerary for this period.
I'm interested in applying for anaesthetic training as well but I'm currently scoring a low score, not much points from QIPs, audits, teaching, etc.
what are my chances/options of getting into either CT or ACCS straight from F2 without taking an F3?
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I'm interested in applying for anaesthetic training as well but I'm currently scoring a low score, not much points from QIPs, audits, teaching, etc.
what are my chances/options of getting into either CT or ACCS straight from F2 without taking an F3?
Thanks

Realistically chances are poor.
Reply 6
Thanks

Well, it can't hurt to apply, but if you have nothing much on your form, you'll be at a distinct disadvantage. You still have a few months to try to buff up your application and get a few more points though!
Thanks

Can you not just do some quick QIPs in the next couple of months?
Apply somewhere with low fill rates, scrape over the line, Bob's your uncle. You don't have to be a nerd
Reply 9
Original post by Helenia
I am not aware of there being many SHO level jobs in anaesthetics for people with no experience. You would be no use for service provision (which is what trust grade jobs are for) as you can't practice independently, so unless you got very lucky and found a hospital willing to train you up despite it not being an official training post, you may struggle. ICU F3-type jobs, on the other hand, are available - I did one - and don't need prior experience, but would still give you points on an anaesthetic application. Worth trying to get a taster week during FY2 as well, and/or seeing if you can get involved in some kind of anaesthetic-related audit/QI project.

I'm not sure if exams get you extra points - it did when I applied but from what Democracy's posted, it looks like they may have dropped that criterion. You do still get points for courses like ATLS/APLS, so if you have some money to throw at your application, that's one option. Lots more emphasis on QI/CG stuff now, so that's another option.

Thanks so much for the reply! I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips/useful information on making the portfolio for the interview and how to go about this! Unfortunately, I haven't had much exposure to this.
Also, I believe it would be best to do a bunch of QUIPs during an A+E job. I don't have any publications but am starting to focus on audits and QUIPs - anything else I can do to help my application?!
Thanks so much for the reply! I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips/useful information on making the portfolio for the interview and how to go about this! Unfortunately, I haven't had much exposure to this.

I paid for the london anaesthetic interview course & it was worth every penny. Got where i wanted straight out of FY2 and I have to admit i think that's mostly down to that course
I paid for the london anaesthetic interview course & it was worth every penny. Got where i wanted straight out of FY2 and I have to admit i think that's mostly down to that course

That's brilliant - congrats! Do you mind if I ask which deanery you'll be working in?
That's brilliant - congrats! Do you mind if I ask which deanery you'll be working in?

Hey

London (which is what I initially wanted but my circumstances have now changed now here's hoping I get upgraded back up North)
Hey

London (which is what I initially wanted but my circumstances have now changed now here's hoping I get upgraded back up North)

Ah, I hope it works out! I'm looking for London too so that's good news about the course - which was the one you recommended (there's a few coming up on Google!)
Original post by Helenia

thanks! I ended up getting a JCF job in ITU now so still planning to apply for core anaesthetics - any tips for the application? I don't have much in terms of publications so am planning to get a bunch of QUIPs and audits done; is there anything else I should do to help my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending