The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Are any of you taking the BMAT as well as the UCAT? If so, what unis are you going to apply to?
i'm considering it for my fourth choice (maybe), but only really looking at ukcat right now, if i do choose to do it, depending on their requirements imperial or ucl i think x
Original post by mal2998
Are any of you taking the BMAT as well as the UCAT? If so, what unis are you going to apply to?
Reply 22
fair! what ucat unis you thinking of? x
Original post by xoharrypotter
i'm considering it for my fourth choice (maybe), but only really looking at ukcat right now, if i do choose to do it, depending on their requirements imperial or ucl i think x
as of now, warwick (gem), kings and qmul (undergrad)- will only apply to these if i manage to get a strong ukcat, if not i'm gunna have to look at other unis
what about yourself?
Original post by mal2998
fair! what ucat unis you thinking of? x
Reply 24
I'm thinking Leeds, Manchester, qmul and then either Leicester or Brighton, but yeah gain depends on my UCAT score. Do you know what uni's show preferance to graduates for the undergraduate course? I've heard that qmul takes 1/3 graduates
as of now, warwick (gem), kings and qmul (undergrad)- will only apply to these if i manage to get a strong ukcat, if not i'm gunna have to look at other unis
what about yourself?
i know kings do, but not much else
i might apply to a new medical school like Anglia ruskin or aston or kent
theres a lot of choice lol
Original post by mal2998
I'm thinking Leeds, Manchester, qmul and then either Leicester or Brighton, but yeah gain depends on my UCAT score. Do you know what uni's show preferance to graduates for the undergraduate course? I've heard that qmul takes 1/3 graduates
Reply 26
Original post by mal2998

I am, took my ukcat last week and doing BMAT in August. Applying to Leeds and Newcastle (A100 & A101).
I'm a Mature Applicant, so only looking at the northern unis I meet the criteria for due to family considerations.
Reply 27
Hey guys
I'm looking to apply for the medicine undergraduate programmes. The universities I'm looking at are keele, queen Mary, Birmingham and Leicester

My stats Are
1st class honours medicinal chemistry
A levels ABB (chem bio and maths)
Ucat - 2670 band 1

Any advice , is this a wise choice
(edited 4 years ago)
hey,
i wouldn't recommend birmingham for the 5 year course, they only let 5-10 students in (graduates)
could you consider warwick? depending on this years cohort you might meet the cut off (provided your VR is good)
Original post by _lucylu
Hey guys
I'm looking to apply for the medicine undergraduate programmes. The universities I'm looking at are keele, queen Mary, Birmingham and Leicester

My stats Are
1st class honours medicinal chemistry
A levels ABB (chem bio and maths)
Ucat - 2670 band 1

Any advice , is this a wise choice
Reply 29
I was initially considering Warwick but my verbal reasoning score was low -570 , hence why I’m considering the undergraduate programme.
hey,
i wouldn't recommend birmingham for the 5 year course, they only let 5-10 students in (graduates)
could you consider warwick? depending on this years cohort you might meet the cut off (provided your VR is good)
Original post by mal2998
Hey I've just graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical sciences and am thinking of applying to Leeds! I called up admissions and they said last year only 18 graduates got places, do you think that this should discourage graduates from applying to Leeds or did you find entering as a graduate put you at an advantage over school-leavers? Also would you say that you scored a high BMAT score to get in? Thank you!

I've loved my time there - I would say do not be discouraged as Leeds don't have a maximum number of places for graduates - in my cohort there were over 25 of us plus loads of mature students! I found I had a lot of advantages over school leavers in interviews because I had more insight (from being a HCA, volunteering, living abroad etc.) and life experience but also when we started I already had clinical experience and having studied before makes the transition a lot easier.

I didn't do the BMAT - I was a UKCAT entry and my score was slightly less than average for my cohort.
Anyone applying to QUB
Hi!

Just a quick introduction before I post a question.
I'm doing biomedical science at the moment, going into my final year. This year, I'll be applying for 2020/21 entry. From 4 UCAS choices, 3 of them are undergraduate medicine in Scotland whereas the last one will be graduate entry in England.

In terms of the grades, I was told by universities that they will mostly be looking at my degree grades, since A levels are not as relevant to them.
Therefore, my questions are - How can I justify my grades?
Are they gonna ask for the transcript from first 2 years of my degree or they will strictly rely on the reference that was sent through UCAS? Should I put my grades as part of qualification, in "Education" section?
Did anyone had similar experience with this?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Original post by a-spiringmedic
ooh thats true it is hard right? i do biomed and rn ive got no clue, after researching uni’s today ive figured out i either dont have the a-level grades needed (in some cases im missing out by one grade) or GCSE i got a C in english which is really limiting me :frown: (i got A’s in the rest) lol
I really wanna apply to london unis, im only doing the UKCAT so can only really apply to qmul and kcl (but i might not meet KCL’s requirements!!!! :frown:)
Dont really wanna apply to 4 year courses as i know i’m not competitive enough for that and i doubt i’d be able to keep up with how intense it is
Soo im kinda stuck, im totally open to go anywhere (even scotland and im from the south lol)

KCL require a B in English and Maths; perhaps call/ email and ask for further details? They might be able to take into account extenuating circumstances/ quality of schooling background, but that would most likely depend on how competitive your UCAT and degree are.
Original post by JoeTSR
Could always do an extra A level in the year you're waiting? BBBB is probably perceived a fair bit better than BBB, and ABBB definitely will be (don't know your actual grades obviously). 1 year to do 1 A level should get you a good grade (though I know they generally say it has to be done within 2 years, they must give some weight to it)

Maybe an English A level, kill two birds with one stone? I.e. 'I've got a C in GCSE English, but an A in A level English' should surely be fine?

If you don't meet the minimum requirements, you can be automatically rejected before being considered for an interview. Plus OP would have to wait until next exam season in May/ June to take said A-Level...so probably not worth the risk. For KCL in particular, there are no A-level requirements for bioscience students (e.g biomedical science), so no need to worry about A-levels.
Reply 35
Original post by jplascev
In terms of the grades, I was told by universities that they will mostly be looking at my degree grades, since A levels are not as relevant to them.
Therefore, my questions are - How can I justify my grades?
Are they gonna ask for the transcript from first 2 years of my degree or they will strictly rely on the reference that was sent through UCAS? Should I put my grades as part of qualification, in "Education" section?
Did anyone had similar experience with this?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Personally I put down every module I've taken and my grade in UCAS. I'm using my degree to meet the minimum entry requirements instead of A levels, because I'm international and don't have A levels. Since they have to check if my degree has enough bio/chem content to meet the A level requirements, they advised me to list it all on UCAS, and that after I apply I could send my transcript as well if they requested it.
Original post by smscku
Personally I put down every module I've taken and my grade in UCAS. I'm using my degree to meet the minimum entry requirements instead of A levels, because I'm international and don't have A levels. Since they have to check if my degree has enough bio/chem content to meet the A level requirements, they advised me to list it all on UCAS, and that after I apply I could send my transcript as well if they requested it.

That’s my plan as well. Would you mine explaining how to do it on UCAS?
Reply 37
Original post by jplascev
That’s my plan as well. Would you mine explaining how to do it on UCAS?

I actually submitted it already so I can't look for sure, but first you need to add your degree in the qualifications section. Then I think underneath that or when you click on it you should be able to add as many modules as you want.
Hi AllAfter an unsuccessful attempt to get into graduate entry last year, I've decided to try applying for undergrad courses this time round.My stats are:GCSEs : 8As 2BsA Levels: BCDb (Bio, Chem, Maths, Eng Lit)Bsc Biology 2.1 from Southampton UCAT: 2750 (670,720,700,660) band 3 SJT(oops lol)So far im thinking of applying to Southampton and QMUL... I'm aware my a levels are weaker so wondering if anyone had any tips on where else to apply?Also if anyone was interested last year i applied to GEM courses at QMUL, Soton, Warwick and Cambridge with a UCAT score of 2420 (no offers to interview)
Original post by smscku
I actually submitted it already so I can't look for sure, but first you need to add your degree in the qualifications section. Then I think underneath that or when you click on it you should be able to add as many modules as you want.

I've just tried to add modules but I cannot find a way to do it?
I can only add qualifications but it shouldn't be there? Or I just can find it?

Does anyone else know how to do it or it's better to just contact UCAS/universities?

Latest

Trending

Trending