The Student Room Group

Work gap help

Hi all,
My issue is that I am a student right now and I made a mistake and don’t know how to or if is fixable. I started my uni year in the winter of 2019 and I was working for company let’s name it A. They were trying to make me resign with different tactics so in the end I had enough and start looking for a different job. Said and done, found job B and gave my notice to job A. I started job B after being promised same amount of money except that they were paying me per hour not fixed salary like job A. The promises they made wage wise and shift wise were all lies as the number of hours they said I could do was lower and the manager only gave me nightshifts(I never agreed to nightshift as I knew I’m not really a person who could do nightshifts) and they way they were making the rota had me doing a night shift(finish it) then go straight to university for my classes and after uni 4 h-5hours rest then nightshift again even thought they said it the beginning that they will try to make the rota after my uni days(2 per week Tue and Thu). After 2 months all these crazy shifts were slowly killing me not being able to rest properly and study and focus in classes and as if it wasn’t enough my girlfriend whom was pregnant in my country at the time was feeling very sick and weighting these 2 reasons I decided to resign and gave job B my notice and bought a plane ticket straight away to my home country. At these period when it happend I just succesfully finished my first semester and it was holiday from uni. My last day at job B was on the 10.05.19 but they used my holiday so on paper it says that my last day was 14.05.19 and I flew to my country on the 10.05.19 and came back on the 29.05.19(i have the plane ticket as proof. I really needed this trip home as I had to take care of my sick partener. After I came back start applying for lots of jobs on indeed( since being in uk I always and only used indeed so that’s all I know when it comes to finding a job). I had ansuccesfull interview around mid jun and they told me I got the job but to wait a bit and stay prepared as they will email me very soon with information about start date. I started job C on the 08.07.19 and I’m still working for them. My problem is that I have a working gap from my job B to my job C (including the trip home) from the 14.05.19 to 08.07.19(I was still in holiday from my uni if that matters somehow). Do you believe that this will cause me to lose my student finance for my upcoming semester as I informed them about the change of jobs and they emailed me asking for the P45 from previous job and contract from the new one and they will see the gap. Please help me somehow with an advice or some tips regarding what should I do
Original post by iliescu1994
Hi all,
My issue is that I am a student right now and I made a mistake and don’t know how to or if is fixable. I started my uni year in the winter of 2019 and I was working for company let’s name it A. They were trying to make me resign with different tactics so in the end I had enough and start looking for a different job. Said and done, found job B and gave my notice to job A. I started job B after being promised same amount of money except that they were paying me per hour not fixed salary like job A. The promises they made wage wise and shift wise were all lies as the number of hours they said I could do was lower and the manager only gave me nightshifts(I never agreed to nightshift as I knew I’m not really a person who could do nightshifts) and they way they were making the rota had me doing a night shift(finish it) then go straight to university for my classes and after uni 4 h-5hours rest then nightshift again even thought they said it the beginning that they will try to make the rota after my uni days(2 per week Tue and Thu). After 2 months all these crazy shifts were slowly killing me not being able to rest properly and study and focus in classes and as if it wasn’t enough my girlfriend whom was pregnant in my country at the time was feeling very sick and weighting these 2 reasons I decided to resign and gave job B my notice and bought a plane ticket straight away to my home country. At these period when it happend I just succesfully finished my first semester and it was holiday from uni. My last day at job B was on the 10.05.19 but they used my holiday so on paper it says that my last day was 14.05.19 and I flew to my country on the 10.05.19 and came back on the 29.05.19(i have the plane ticket as proof. I really needed this trip home as I had to take care of my sick partener. After I came back start applying for lots of jobs on indeed( since being in uk I always and only used indeed so that’s all I know when it comes to finding a job). I had ansuccesfull interview around mid jun and they told me I got the job but to wait a bit and stay prepared as they will email me very soon with information about start date. I started job C on the 08.07.19 and I’m still working for them. My problem is that I have a working gap from my job B to my job C (including the trip home) from the 14.05.19 to 08.07.19(I was still in holiday from my uni if that matters somehow). Do you believe that this will cause me to lose my student finance for my upcoming semester as I informed them about the change of jobs and they emailed me asking for the P45 from previous job and contract from the new one and they will see the gap. Please help me somehow with an advice or some tips regarding what should I do

Hi there,

As you were advised, you will need to send the requested documents so the Migrant Worker Team can review your gap and make a decision on your entitlement. Have you sent your P45(s) and your new work contract?

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending