The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics

Hello! So I'm currently in fifth year in Scotland and have recently started my five Highers.

A few weeks ago my physics teacher gave me some Advanced Higher work to do as I was ahead of the class and wanted a challenge. Since then I've worked through about a quarter of the Rotational Motion and Astrophysics unit, doing practice problems and finding them manageable.

Then today my physics teacher completely shocked me by asking if I want to do AH this year. He said I could either do it alongside Higher or crash it. I was wondering if anyone has done (or considered doing) something like this before, and whether they have any advice on the pros and cons? Insight into how much work AH physics (especially the project) is would also be helpful.

For some context I got 92% at Nat 5 (100% in the assignment) and in the recent Higher Electricity test we did I also got full marks.

Anyway I probably won't end up doing this (seems crazy!) but I thought it would be worth considering as an option. Thank you if you've read this far :smile:

Edit: After much thought (and talking to someone who has sat AH) I've decided to try it out until prelims, see how they go, then make a final decision after that. I started my new timetable today and ended up having physics four times (as I'm keeping my Higher periods) which was absolute bliss! <3
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I did advanced higher physics this year and i would say just stay with higher at the moment :smile: I'm sure you are able to do it but the investigation for Advanced Higher did take up a lot of time for me. Therefore by doing it in S6 when you have less subjects, free period and can focus more on your other Highers. My project did take up quite a lot of time so in my opinion just stay with higher because you do need some knowledge from Higher to help out whit Advanced Higher.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by foxy3232
I did advanced higher physics this year and i would say just stay with higher at the moment :smile: I'm sure you are able to do it but the investigation for Advanced Higher did take up a lot of time for me. Therefore by doing it in S6 when you have less subjects, free period and can focus more on your other Highers. My project did take up quite a lot of time so in my opinion just stay with higher because you do need some knowledge from Higher to help out whit Advanced Higher.

Hope this helps :smile:

It does, thank you :smile: That's what I was thinking (that it would be a lot to fit in). Guess my problem now is that if I keep doing AH stuff this year just for fun then next year I'll have done most of it :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending