The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures III

Scroll to see replies

whoop lets go!
struggling with motivation (distracted).

Thought I'd go over where I am with all of the courses:

Linear Algebra/Introduction to Abstract Algebra - Done hardly anything in these, except basically just definitions and stuff from A-level. Will essentially be going through this from scratch. Seeing as I'd like to continue with analysis, I really should enjoy them.

Geometry and Motion - Done a bit of vector calculus before, but there's a lot of new stuff in this module that I haven't seen. Seems like the primary emphasis here is on application in physics.

Mathematical Analysis - I've largely done this with further reading and the questions I looked at were very uninspiring. No proper integration in the first year. I'm comfortable with a good portion of the theory, I think now it's a matter of practising exercises and brushing up on the odd bits I've forgotten. (don't remember doing errors for taylor series for example) I am quite grateful I don't have compulsory analysis classes like the people in straight maths because a) I can't stand school-style teaching and b) I prefer to work by myself. That's why I'm kind of unhappy there's seminars. (supervisions would have been fine but I don't like big groups)

Mathematical Techniques - I spoke about this earlier. I thought it'd be more of a bridging thing as mathstat/morse don't require further maths, but it turns out that this isn't the case and the exam has a lot of logic and set theory, with some A-level-level proofs inbetween. It just looked annoying. This is the module i'm looking forward to the least. This is one of the courses with seminars which I am not looking forward to.

Analysis III - This is the Year 2 Real Analysis module and is lectured in the first term. I think I'll pop along to some lectures provided I have enough time. Definitely not going to enter for the exam so not going to be doing the assignments. If I need to spend more time on the first term modules or I give up after a while I'll learn the rest of the module in the summer, probably. Or earlier in free time.

Sets and Numbers - This module should be fine. Need to learn some modular arithmetic stuff and review diophantine equations. The complex numbers and proof bits were pretty straightforward when I looked.

Introduction to Probability - I think I've covered a good amount of this already. I'm working through making notes to cement that and I hope to get around to finishing off the module before the second term. Unfortunately there's seminars for this module, which I don't like. I far prefer our probability exams to the ones straight maths does, I actually quite like the exam questions I've looked at, so I'm at least grateful for that. Might make me regret going to straight maths, but I feel it'll be the best in the long run since mathstat is far too restrictive.

Differential Equations - A lot of this is just A-level review in uni style except stuff to do with systems of ODEs late in the module. Have started notes regardless and hope to have this out of the way soon.

Introduction to Geometry - Was worried this would be too much GCSE euclidean geometry but it looks like there's enough projective/spherical geometry to hold me over. Reasonably looking forward to this. Exam is apparently pretty easy so that's nice.

Sorry for possibly boring you, thought I should give an outline before I jump into talking about work on the modules. I have no clue about the two coursework-based modules progsci and stats lab.

Spoiler

:eek3: looks like a lot

:woo:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
:eek3: looks like a lot

:woo:

that's how I want it, would be a waste to slack.
Reply 24
Original post by _gcx

Linear Algebra/Introduction to Abstract Algebra - Done hardly anything in these, except basically just definitions and stuff from A-level. Will essentially be going through this from scratch. Seeing as I'd like to continue with analysis, I really should enjoy them.

Geometry and Motion - Done a bit of vector calculus before, but there's a lot of new stuff in this module that I haven't seen. Seems like the primary emphasis here is on application in physics.

Mathematical Analysis - I've largely done this with further reading and the questions I looked at were very uninspiring. No proper integration in the first year. I'm comfortable with a good portion of the theory, I think now it's a matter of practising exercises and brushing up on the odd bits I've forgotten. (don't remember doing errors for taylor series for example) I am quite grateful I don't have compulsory analysis classes like the people in straight maths because a) I can't stand school-style teaching and b) I prefer to work by myself. That's why I'm kind of unhappy there's seminars. (supervisions would have been fine but I don't like big groups)

Mathematical Techniques - I spoke about this earlier. I thought it'd be more of a bridging thing as mathstat/morse don't require further maths, but it turns out that this isn't the case and the exam has a lot of logic and set theory, with some A-level-level proofs inbetween. It just looked annoying. This is the module i'm looking forward to the least. This is one of the courses with seminars which I am not looking forward to.

Analysis III - This is the Year 2 Real Analysis module and is lectured in the first term. I think I'll pop along to some lectures provided I have enough time. Definitely not going to enter for the exam so not going to be doing the assignments. If I need to spend more time on the first term modules or I give up after a while I'll learn the rest of the module in the summer, probably. Or earlier in free time.

Sets and Numbers - This module should be fine. Need to learn some modular arithmetic stuff and review diophantine equations. The complex numbers and proof bits were pretty straightforward when I looked.

Introduction to Probability - I think I've covered a good amount of this already. I'm working through making notes to cement that and I hope to get around to finishing off the module before the second term. Unfortunately there's seminars for this module, which I don't like. I far prefer our probability exams to the ones straight maths does, I actually quite like the exam questions I've looked at, so I'm at least grateful for that. Might make me regret going to straight maths, but I feel it'll be the best in the long run since mathstat is far too restrictive.

Differential Equations - A lot of this is just A-level review in uni style except stuff to do with systems of ODEs late in the module. Have started notes regardless and hope to have this out of the way soon.

Introduction to Geometry - Was worried this would be too much GCSE euclidean geometry but it looks like there's enough projective/spherical geometry to hold me over. Reasonably looking forward to this. Exam is apparently pretty easy so that's nice.

Sorry for possibly boring you, thought I should give an outline before I jump into talking about work on the modules. I have no clue about the two coursework-based modules progsci and stats lab.

Spoiler

Sounds like you know most of this already. You may as well put your feet up for the year and ask someone to nudge you when exam's get close.
Original post by _gcx
that's how I want it, would be a waste to slack.

:lol: that’s true
Good luck! :hugs:
Original post by Pathway
Good luck! :hugs:

thanks! prsom
Original post by Sir Cumference
Sounds like you know most of this already. You may as well put your feet up for the year and ask someone to nudge you when exam's get close.

haha appreciate your confidence, but I doubt I can afford to share it lol. I'll probably spend the spare time either reading ahead or grinding.
Reply 29
How many people are there likely to be in seminars?
and gl with the graft
Original post by Sinnoh
How many people are there likely to be in seminars?
and gl with the graft

Don't know, I'd imagine too many. Unfortunately they're compulsory but luckily they're only for two modules then they're done away with.
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

wow, you seem to basically know it all already :shock:
the modules look pretty interesting to me, similar to my first year modules in places but different in others as expected. I couldn't stand diophantine equations etc lol
hopefully when you get there motivation/inspiration will come back. I know it's hard to make yourself do the work if you're not interested in it :sadnod:
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

Looks intense but quite interesting you must be so smart!
Original post by Protostar
wow, you seem to basically know it all already :shock:
the modules look pretty interesting to me, similar to my first year modules in places but different in others as expected. I couldn't stand diophantine equations etc lol
hopefully when you get there motivation/inspiration will come back. I know it's hard to make yourself do the work if you're not interested in it :sadnod:

I do need to learn algebra and fill in gaps though lol.

It's not for a lack of interest in the work. I would be fairly worried if I wasn't interested in it.
Original post by _gcx
I do need to learn algebra and fill in gaps though lol.

It's not for a lack of interest in the work. I would be fairly worried if I wasn't interested in it.

well yeah of course, but you'll definitely be very far ahead of everyone else.

ah okay, must have misunderstood - my bad!
You would expect mood to have improved once lectures have started, but it hasn't, really if anything it's dropped a bit.

Mathematical Analysis - Lecturer is excellent, but there was an issue with the speakers in the room for the first few lectures which apparently gave people an excuse to make noise and talk over the lecturer. Pissed me off immensely - it's university so if you don't want to be here, just leave lmao. Really did not expect that sort of attitude here - I applied thinking that people would be passionate and engaged. Apparently was misled. In terms of what I've done - I've almost finished off the assignments for term 1 having started not too long ago, and after that I'll start on the term 2 assignments I guess. The term 1 exam is in January. Seeing how I can do enough (we get choice of questions) of the paper I looked at already and a lot of it looks very straightforward, I anticipate that I'll mess this up somehow and get a disappointing mark. The first term is only worth 32.5% of the overall mark for this module though.

Mathematical Techniques - Can confirm this is an annoying module. Has just been tedious set theory proofs so far. Apparently there's some calculus, inequalities and geometry later on. But they are completely absent from the last 5 year's papers, it's just been set theory, logic and combinatorics. The exam's open book so it's not too bad.

Differential Equations - Not got much to say. Lecturer is quite slow, though people think he should slow down further. Assignments for this module are alright. First was handed in thursday, second and third are more or less do due 2 and 4 thursdays time respectively. There really isn't much new... With the new further maths, the majority of the syllabus for the module is covered, bar difference equations and bits of systems of DEs. There's however terminology and stuff that people won't have seen before. It is probably one of the most applied modules going, here, which I'm not really a fan of. I think geometry and motion (vector calculus) is like this too. Though I suppose DEs aren't usually really studied independently, usually applied to real-life problems in physics and stuff.

Introduction to Geometry - Fairly interesting, more than I expected. First bit is just GCSE geometry in a university style and it's fairly enjoyable. No assignments for credit here but there are 2 not-for-credit example sheets that the lecturer will then post solutions to later so I'll be doing those. Last bit is spherical geometry which should be fun.

Sets and Numbers - The first fortnightly test was straightforward. Didn't really seem to examine knowledge, but rather ability to not get caught out. Like the lecturer. This is also examined in January in the same paper as analysis. Unlike analysis though, this exam is 85% of the grade (with the other 15% being from the fortnightly tests) and if I don't get a first overall, I won't be able to transfer to straight maths, so it's fairly critical. Not really sure when I'm going to finish off the content for it. (obviously before the end of term) Just been drifting along past few days.

The assignments I'm doing are last year's but there's often virtually no difference.

Hate seminars. Was reassured they would be different from school, but they aren't. Not even close. The groups are too big (15 people which is bigger than my old FM class and only slightly smaller than my old single maths class), and I just hate the environment that's created in them. Apparently they're in all years of the mathstat degree, but straight maths doesn't have them. They're not very frequent and don't hate them enough to transfer on that basis, but I think it will be a factor. The good thing about mathstat is that I've dodged doing "analysis classes", which is yet more school-style small group teaching which I thankfully avoided. They "record attendance" for these things but don't actually explain what that means, so I don't know what they're expecting it to mean to people.

Couldn't nerve myself up to going to lectures for this first day, and didn't bother since then. Will try to learn this over this term, maybe over christmas or something. Plan to go to Introduction to Number Theory and Norms, Metrics and Topologies in term 2 (y2 modules). All I miss is linear algebra, which is so huge it's almost definitely lecture captured. (there's about 600 people taking it, so it's split between two lecture groups, one for straight maths and one for joint) Despite people talking down lecture capture - I find absolutely zero difference between going to lectures and using lecture capture. No legitimate statistics have been presented to us as to the advantage of going to lectures, so I'm wondering what the point in going to those with lecture capture is. At the moment I'm just going because I feel bad not going.

I won't lie, I'm fairly underwhelmed by the level of here. Considering virtually everyone who applied to cambridge had warwick insurance, I'd have expected the level not to be too dissimilar. This just isn't the case, the first two years are by what I've heard fairly standard for good maths universities, it's only in the third and fourth (the latter of which I'd ideally not be staying for) years where it's comparable. In hindsight, I should've done more research into warwick, realised this, and reapplied oxford or cambridge instead of coming here, because I'm unhappy here academically. Feels bad wishing away my undergrad like this but there you go. Dunno how I'd feel if I had no plans of doing a masters.

An uphill climb from here, I'd think.

Spoiler

Sorry to hear the experience hasn't been so great :redface:

Yeah the seminar groups for us have been slightly large and the introductory ones havent been so great

Th speakers are terrible :lol: you can barely hear them when they speak :rofl:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Sorry to hear the experience hasn't been so great :redface:

Yeah the seminar groups for us have been slightly large and the introductory ones havent been so great

Th speakers are terrible :lol: you can barely hear them when they speak :rofl:

Don't envy the people who have more seminars. I only have them for a term 1 and a term 2 module.

If everyone is quiet it's ok. People seem to have extreme difficulty in reading the board too using their phone cameras to see.
Original post by _gcx
Don't envy the people who have more seminars. I only have them for a term 1 and a term 2 module.

If everyone is quiet it's ok. People seem to have extreme difficulty in reading the board too using their phone cameras to see.

I literally have 2 seminars tomorrow I seriously can’t be arsed for them :colonhash: and 5 in a week 😭

Omg I know right they have to pull their phones out and take a pic :lol:
Reply 39
Damn I'm sorry to hear that. Did you consider switching sooner to straight maths or is stats worth it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending