The Student Room Group

Why do bad things happen to good people?

:frown:

I am distraught.
A family member unexpectedly past away today and I am heart broken. I am so so so upset words cannot explain how distraught i feel.
It was just unexpected. I was shocked. How could this person pass away so quickly? And that too, just out of the ordinary!!!:frown:

I feel like someone has taken a part of me and I can't get it back ever. And it just kills me Inside. I'm In shock:frown:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I experienced the sudden death of a close relative almost two years ago when my uncle died.
You'll always have the memories of the good times that you shared.
Over time the shock fades, the pain becomes less overpowering and happy memories of time spent together will replace the cocktail of disbelief-grief-anger.

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to why bad things happen to good people.
I've heard a range of suggestions from other people: accidents happen, predestined fate, evil people enjoy destroying innocent lives, a warning from history/gift of hindsight.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
:frown:

I am distraught.
A family member unexpectedly past away today and I am heart broken. I am so so so upset words cannot explain how distraught i feel.
It was just unexpected. I was shocked. How could this person pass away so quickly? And that too, just out of the ordinary!!!:frown:

I feel like someone has taken a part of me and I can't get it back ever. And it just kills me Inside. I'm In shock:frown:

Yes. I know the feeling! I found out something similar when i was in year 8. There are no easy answers! The best thing to do is probsbly to go and see a bereavement counsellor and also find ways to celebrate the qualoties and life of the person you have lost! Suppressing your sadness does not actually help by the way!
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I experienced the sudden death of a close relative almost two years ago when my uncle died.
You'll always have the memories of the good times that you shared.
Over time the shock fades, the pain becomes less overpowering and happy memories of time spent together will replace the cocktail of disbelief-grief-anger.

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to why bad things happen to good people.
I've heard a range of suggestions from other people: accidents happen, predestined fate, evil people enjoy destroying innocent lives, a warning from history/gift of hindsight.

Or the really honest answer: i don't have s damn clue!
I’m sorry for your loss.

Bad things happen to everyone, once you accept that it’s just a part of life, you can finally move on.
Reply 5
My main belief is that good people die earlier because God wants to take them in to heaven quicker for a good reason. I.e. they have done too much good that the lord wants to grant them peace for all eternity
Reply 6
Original post by DR.DOOM
My main belief is that good people die earlier because God wants to take them in to heaven quicker for a good reason. I.e. they have done too much good that the lord wants to grant them peace for all eternity

Sorry, i know that your opinion is your faith but i find that explanation quite ridiculous!
I'm really sorry for your loss, I hope you can find your peace with it soon.

Unexpected death is awful and it will take time to heal the wounds, but keep strong. Your family are there to support eachother and I'm sure they'd be happy to be a shoulder to cry on.
Because bad things allow good people to grow and become a stronger person who grows resilient in the face of tough situations. Bad people only crumble to tough situations.
Reply 9
Original post by Prussianxo
Because bad things allow good people to grow and become a stronger person who grows resilient in the face of tough situations. Bad people only crumble to tough situations.

"bad people only crumble to tough situations" ? this is frequently not true and that is the irony of life. I can give you literally thousands of examples. Here is just one example: The President of Eritrea, one of Africa's poorest countries, has been in power for more than 25 years and presides over a totalitarian state dictatorship of a population of poverty stricken, largely illerate people. I don't have the answers but believe me" bad "people can go on for decades!
Original post by mgi
"bad people only crumble to tough situations" ? this is frequently not true and that is the irony of life. I can give you literally thousands of examples. Here is just one example: The President of Eritrea, one of Africa's poorest countries, has been in power for more than 25 years and presides over a totalitarian state dictatorship of a population of poverty stricken, largely illerate people. I don't have the answers but believe me" bad "people can go on for decades!

Why you looking into this so much. This isn't a historical debate. OP is suffering and doesn't need to know about the president of Eritrea. They want support.
Reply 11
Original post by Prussianxo
Why you looking into this so much. This isn't a historical debate. OP is suffering and doesn't need to know about the president of Eritrea. They want support.

You are missing the point here yourself. It was in response to her completely erroneous point about" bad "people versus" good "people ! I used a simple example of why her thiinking is erroneous using just one example. Life is not about good versus bad people and bad behaviour or nice things should happen to "nice" people because no one is perfect! Its about yiu as a person deciding how you want to be happy and doing what it takes. Asking or expecting "permission" from someone to become happy is futile! Death is inevitable and nothing to do with fairness is my point! Bereavement counselling is the way forward to tease out these issues! Celebrate the life of the person whether they are alive or dead!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending