Congruency and Similarity

I don’t even know

D869BCDD-855B-49A2-B185-881839276744.jpg.jpeg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thisQUEENslayz
I don’t even know

D869BCDD-855B-49A2-B185-881839276744.jpg.jpeg

Part a)? Do you know anything about congruent triangles e.g. the ASA, SAS rules etc? Please post what you've tried so far.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Part a)? Do you know anything about congruent triangles e.g. the ASA, SAS rules etc? Please post what you've tried so far.

This is a topic that I struggle with so I don’t know where to even start. I know the rules but I don’t know how to apply them to exam questions
Reply 3
This is a topic that I struggle with so I don’t know where to even start. I know the rules but I don’t know how to apply them to exam questions

To start a congruent triangles question you need to find any side/angle that is the same in both triangles. Can you see any?
To start a congruent triangles question you need to find any side/angle that is the same in both triangles. Can you see any?

does (PQ and SR) and (PS and QR) count as similar sides
Reply 5
does (PQ and SR) and (PS and QR) count as similar sides

Yes that's correct and you always have to give a reason even if it seems obvious. The reason here is "opposite sides in a parallelogram are equal".

Can you see any other pairs of sides/angles that are the same? You'll need at least 1 more.
Yes that's correct and you always have to give a reason even if it seems obvious. The reason here is "opposite sides in a parallelogram are equal".

Can you see any other pairs of sides/angles that are the same? You'll need at least 1 more.

The angles P and R ?
Reply 7
The angles P and R ?

Yes that's right. Any thoughts on the reason why they must be equal?
Yes that's right. Any thoughts on the reason why they must be equal?

Thanks and I’m not sure on how to explain why
Reply 9
Thanks and I’m not sure on how to explain why

Again it's to do with the fact that its a parallelogram. Opposite angles in a parallelogram are equal. Try to remember these facts about parallelograms because they're common in congruence questions.

OK so your congruency proof so far looks like this:

PQ = SR (opposite sides in a parallelogram are equal)
PS = QR (opposite sides in a parallelogram are equal)
Angle P angle R (opposite angles in a parallelogram are equal)

So two pairs of sides are the same in the two triangles and so is the angle between these two sides. Any ideas how to finish the proof?
Again it's to do with the fact that its a parallelogram. Opposite angles in a parallelogram are equal. Try to remember these facts about parallelograms because they're common in congruence questions.

OK so your congruency proof so far looks like this:

PQ = SR (opposite sides in a parallelogram are equal)
PS = QR (opposite sides in a parallelogram are equal)
Angle P angle R (opposite angles in a parallelogram are equal)

So two pairs of sides are the same in the two triangles and so is the angle between these two sides. Any ideas how to finish the proof?

Sorry these are late I’m just trying to think- But im not sure. I understand everything so far
Reply 11
Sorry these are late I’m just trying to think- But im not sure. I understand everything so far

You have shown that one side is the same in both triangles (S)
You have shown that a second side is the same in both triangles (S)
You have shown that an angle is the same in both triangles and it is between the two sides (A)

So you have the SAS rule. To finish the proof you just need to say something like

"Therefore the triangles must be congruent by the SAS rule"

Remember that congruence means that all of the sides and angles are the same. So once you've proved that two triangles are congruent (e.g. by the SAS rule) then you now know that all of the sides/angles are equal and this information could be useful in follow up questions.
You have shown that one side is the same in both triangles (S)
You have shown that a second side is the same in both triangles (S)
You have shown that an angle is the same in both triangles and it is between the two sides (A)

So you have the SAS rule. To finish the proof you just need to say something like

"Therefore the triangles must be congruent by the SAS rule"

Remember that congruence means that all of the sides and angles are the same. So once you've proved that two triangles are congruent (e.g. by the SAS rule) then you now know that all of the sides/angles are equal and this information could be useful in follow up questions.

Okay thank you. That helps me with my understanding of the rules. What happens if it is not a parallelogram? There are a few questions with shapes such as squares and circles
Reply 13
Okay thank you. That helps me with my understanding of the rules. What happens if it is not a parallelogram? There are a few questions with shapes such as squares and circles

Ok sticking with this question, there are other ways to prove that the two triangles are congruent. E.g. angle PQS = angle QSR. Do you know why they're equal?

You need to try lots of questions to get used to the different ways that two sides/angles can be equal. Normally its something to do with parallel lines. I recommend trying another congruence question and then post it here if you get stuck.
Ok sticking with this question, there are other ways to prove that the two triangles are congruent. E.g. angle PQS = angle QSR. Do you know why they're equal?

You need to try lots of questions to get used to the different ways that two sides/angles can be equal. Normally its something to do with parallel lines. I recommend trying another congruence question and then post it here if you get stuck.

Are they equal due to them being alternate angles and I’ll post another question
6AB862FC-9772-4AA6-8B39-25217E8BDCC7.jpg.jpeg
Reply 16
Are they equal due to them being alternate angles and I’ll post another question

Yes and there is another pair like that. You could have actually done this question using SAS, ASA or SSS depending on which sides/angles you shoe are equal.
Reply 17
6AB862FC-9772-4AA6-8B39-25217E8BDCC7.jpg.jpeg

To prove two triangles are similar you have to show AAA i.e. you have to show that there are 3 pairs of equal angles in both triangles. Can you see any angles that are the same? There should be one obvious pair without doing any thinking.
To prove two triangles are similar you have to show AAA i.e. you have to show that there are 3 pairs of equal angles in both triangles. Can you see any angles that are the same? There should be one obvious pair without doing any thinking.

Is it the right angle in ADB with ADC and since it’s an equilateral triangle - the three other angles would be the same (ABC, ACB and BAC)
Reply 19
Is it the right angle in ADB with ADC and since it’s an equilateral triangle - the three other angles would be the same (ABC, ACB and BAC)

Yes ADB = ADC is the first fact. I think the easiest way to do this question is to work out the actual angles. Since it's an equilateral triangle, what are the sizes of the three angles in the main triangle? And so what's the size of angle XBD?

Quick Reply

Latest