The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I used to work at Wexham. What do you want to know?

Unless it's changed High Wycombe is paired with Stoke Mandeville and most services are at Stoke Mandeville these days.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
I used to work at Wexham. What do you want to know?

Unless it's changed High Wycombe is paired with Stoke Mandeville and most services are at Stoke Mandeville these days.

Ohhh!! Yaaay!! I was basically just wanting to ask how both of these hospitals were in terms of support and what it is like working there! Did you work as a FY1 or FY2 there? Or do you know how anyone found it? Xxx
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys
Does anyone know anything about
Wexham Park hospital and Wycombe hospital please x

As nexttime says, Wycombe is the same trust as Stoke Mandeville (Buckinghamshire Healthcare). It still has some services on site which have F1s - stroke, cardiology, elective orthopaedics/general surgery, but all the other acute work is at Stoke, so I'd expect you'd only do one or two rotations primarily at Wycombe as part of an F1 job.
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
As nexttime says, Wycombe is the same trust as Stoke Mandeville (Buckinghamshire Healthcare). It still has some services on site which have F1s - stroke, cardiology, elective orthopaedics/general surgery, but all the other acute work is at Stoke, so I'd expect you'd only do one or two rotations primarily at Wycombe as part of an F1 job.

Thanks Helenia!!!

Did you work at Stoke during FY1 or know anyone who works or worked there and how they found it? Xxx
Ohhh!! Yaaay!! I was basically just wanting to ask how both of these hospitals were in terms of support and what it is like working there! Did you work as a FY1 or FY2 there? Or do you know how anyone found it? Xxx

I did FY2 T&O, AMU and O&G then fid a bunch of medical take locums during an FY3 year.

It wasn't bad honestly. They really struggle to recruit staff which can be a problem in terms of quantity and quality of staff, particularly the permanent staff i.e. the regs tend to be fine but the consultants might be fine, might be terrible. But they were more terrible in a medical sense not a bring mean sense or anything. In some ways that was quite nice actually as you'd feel like you needed to make more suggestions, question more decisions and take more responsibility. I question whether that counts as true learning but I came out of there feeling like I could be the med reg with no problem because I'd been making those decisions (in order to suggest them to the reg/consultant) all the time.

Socially... there was no Doctors Mess when I was there as there was a corruption investigation ongoing but it should be back now. Most doctors live in Windsor. It was fine. Fairly nice atmosphere overall.
Reply 6
Thanks Helenia!!!

Did you work at Stoke during FY1 or know anyone who works or worked there and how they found it? Xxx

No, I only moved to Oxford deanery for ST3 (was in London before). I did my ST5 at Bucks though, predominantly Stoke but some elective work (I'm an anaesthetist) at Wycombe. It's a nice trust overall, very popular with trainees, but I can't comment on the FY1 experience specifically as I didn't come across them that much.
is RBH competitive?
I am thinking of applying to my hometown but I want to avoid RBH as im from the area and will know to many patients and would prefer not to be based here...should I be worried about being placed here?
Reply 8
Original post by Helenia
No, I only moved to Oxford deanery for ST3 (was in London before). I did my ST5 at Bucks though, predominantly Stoke but some elective work (I'm an anaesthetist) at Wycombe. It's a nice trust overall, very popular with trainees, but I can't comment on the FY1 experience specifically as I didn't come across them that much.

Thanks Helenia!! Your message has been really useful and thank you for taking the time to reply to me ❤️
Wish you all the best with your ongoing progression in your career as an anaesthetist!!
Reply 9
Original post by MedMed12
is RBH competitive?
I am thinking of applying to my hometown but I want to avoid RBH as im from the area and will know to many patients and would prefer not to be based here...should I be worried about being placed here?

Good question
Would like to know the answer too!!
is RBH competitive?

It's one of the more popular ones with trainees, but I've no idea how numerically competitive it is. I think @nexttime worked there too, I haven't. How many people are you realistically likely to know as hospital inpatients though - Reading is a big town and most healthy young adults don't spend much time in hospital?
is RBH competitive?

Its second most desirable after Oxford. Any placements that are Oxford 2 years or Oxford-RBH will be competitive yes.

Honestly I've never come across a doctor who has a friendship network of the kinds of people who spend lots of time as inpatients in hospital (most commonly: the very elderly, those with dementia, the homeless). When we have had to treat someone we know we've just worked around it. If you have lots of homeless elderly friends... I'd have thought you'd still be ok tbh.

The idea that doctors somehow wouldn't be allowed to just work in the area they live in is obviously an absurd one! :laugh:
(edited 4 years ago)
Is frimley park hospital popular within the Oxford deanery?
Also in the Oxford deanery, are you at 2 different hospitals for f1 and f2
Is frimley park hospital popular within the Oxford deanery?
Also in the Oxford deanery, are you at 2 different hospitals for f1 and f2

Frimley park isn't in the Oxford deanery unless its changed? They just run Wexham Park.

Yes its two hospital almost all the time - like most places.
(edited 4 years ago)
Frimley park isn't in the Oxford deanery unless its changed? They just run Weston Park.

http://www.oxforddeanery.nhs.uk/recruitment__careers/oxford_foundation_recruitment.aspx
Frimley park isn't in the Oxford deanery unless its changed? They just run Weston Park.

http://www.oxforddeanery.nhs.uk/recruitment__careers/oxford_foundation_recruitment.aspx

Thank you nexttime
I was so confused honestly
Messly says that frimley is part of Oxford deanery, as well as part of the South Thames Deanery
It is very confusing
Original post by medfoot
Thank you nexttime
I was so confused honestly
Messly says that frimley is part of Oxford deanery, as well as part of the South Thames Deanery
It is very confusing

I think messly can be a bit confusing. It doesnt always agree with deanery websites, so i think checking there best.
Original post by HHaricot
I think messly can be a bit confusing. It doesnt always agree with deanery websites, so i think checking there best.

Thank you!!!

Thank you nexttime also

You've been very kind

So your guys' consensus is thst frimley park isn't within Oxford, its South Thames?
The Oxford deanery website doesn't explicitly explain either tbh trolololol

Latest