The Student Room Group

Fainting

Hey,
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this. I’ve noticed when I’m standing still for more than about 5 mins I start to feel lightheaded/in extreme cases faint. I have to keep myself active if I’m standing for more than five mins. I had my dissection room induction today and the combination of seeing a real dead body and the fact I was standing meant I fainted. I usually eat quite regularly and certainly enough this morning. I guess this post is to ask if any medical students or anyone in general has any experience of this, or any advice. I’m really really worried I’m not gonna become a doctor because of this.
Thanks,
Cameron
Reply 1
Have you seen your GP about this?
Original post by Pathway
Have you seen your GP about this?

I haven’t, I’ve not fainted enough for it to be a serious and pressing problem or in case it was something stupid. Do you think it would be better to go just in case?
Reply 3
Original post by cameron2101
I haven’t, I’ve not fainted enough for it to be a serious and pressing problem or in case it was something stupid. Do you think it would be better to go just in case?

I think it's worth getting checked out. I mean, fainting can be due to loads of different things. For me it was a combination of different issues, some of which are under control, others which aren't. But still, it's worth going to your GP about even if it is a thing that eventually goes.
Original post by cameron2101
Hey,
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this. I’ve noticed when I’m standing still for more than about 5 mins I start to feel lightheaded/in extreme cases faint. I have to keep myself active if I’m standing for more than five mins. I had my dissection room induction today and the combination of seeing a real dead body and the fact I was standing meant I fainted. I usually eat quite regularly and certainly enough this morning. I guess this post is to ask if any medical students or anyone in general has any experience of this, or any advice. I’m really really worried I’m not gonna become a doctor because of this.
Thanks,
Cameron

I agree with @Pathway, no harm in going to the GP to get this checked out. It might be nothing but if there is something that can be done, it might be worth it. I assume you're a medical student? If so, there is going to be a lot more standing about in your course. I used to have this issue (still do sometimes) but what I found helped was pretty much binge eating just before I went in - a health food bar or similar along with something sugary. If you do feel faint in dissection, though, please tell someone/sit down/move away from the cadaver - prevents injury from you fainting into something sharp

Quick Reply

Latest