The Student Room Group

Feeling worse than ever about student life and general life

Hi, so i just started my second year at uni and its only been 2 weeks and im feeling terrible and crying myself to sleep every night to be honest. Im in a hole that is too deep to get out of.
Last year i worked until the second semester but didnt save anything, and with the price of my accomodation i was forced to get an overdraft which i have now maxed out. Now i am on an unpaid placement year working a 9-5 office job, so im super tired all the time but i know i have to push to get a casual job on the weekends, but then i have no social life. It makes me really sad.
i am a very nervous and awkward person in most situations, until i get to know people. but my anxiety leaves me short of breath, tears in my eyes and sweating...and this happens all day everyday (eg today i went on my lunch break to a cafe on my own and was just shaking and sweating thinking about everyone else being there with a friend etc) it sounds stupid but its killing me. I do have a good lot of friends but i dont have any best friends that i would hang out all day with if you know what i mean, and they all have better friends too.
Im not a lazy person, im just an anxious one who gets overwhelmed in every situation. my student loan was cut in half this year too and my parents only support me after grilling me about how i need to find a job and stuff and they arent very well off so im just a burden, but they dont understand my anxiety despite me trying to explain.
Im a really nice person too, like all i think about when i go into a bar or coffee shop is how can i not be a pain to the staff and make their day easier.
Im stuck, embarassed and losing all willpower.

Im sorry for typing such a long confusing story, thanks for reading.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so i just started my second year at uni and its only been 2 weeks and im feeling terrible and crying myself to sleep every night to be honest. Im in a hole that is too deep to get out of.
Last year i worked until the second semester but didnt save anything, and with the price of my accomodation i was forced to get an overdraft which i have now maxed out. Now i am on an unpaid placement year working a 9-5 office job, so im super tired all the time but i know i have to push to get a casual job on the weekends, but then i have no social life. It makes me really sad.
i am a very nervous and awkward person in most situations, until i get to know people. but my anxiety leaves me short of breath, tears in my eyes and sweating...and this happens all day everyday (eg today i went on my lunch break to a cafe on my own and was just shaking and sweating thinking about everyone else being there with a friend etc) it sounds stupid but its killing me. I do have a good lot of friends but i dont have any best friends that i would hang out all day with if you know what i mean, and they all have better friends too.
Im not a lazy person, im just an anxious one who gets overwhelmed in every situation. my student loan was cut in half this year too and my parents only support me after grilling me about how i need to find a job and stuff and they arent very well off so im just a burden, but they dont understand my anxiety despite me trying to explain.
Im a really nice person too, like all i think about when i go into a bar or coffee shop is how can i not be a pain to the staff and make their day easier.
Im stuck, embarassed and losing all willpower.

Im sorry for typing such a long confusing story, thanks for reading.

Perhaps it might be time to go and see your GP about your struggles?
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
Perhaps it might be time to go and see your GP about your struggles?

Thats the other thing, i dont have free time to go back home and attend an appointment, they dont open on a saturday. Also i cant really afford to take a train there and back at the minute. I know anyone else would book a day off work but due to tight module requirements for my placement i cannot afford to miss a single day. If i didnt have a student overdraft or a tenancy agreement right now i would be seriously contemplating dropping out. im trapped
Reply 3
Thats the other thing, i dont have free time to go back home and attend an appointment, they dont open on a saturday. Also i cant really afford to take a train there and back at the minute. I know anyone else would book a day off work but due to tight module requirements for my placement i cannot afford to miss a single day. If i didnt have a student overdraft or a tenancy agreement right now i would be seriously contemplating dropping out. im trapped

What about dropping your university's student support department an email about what's going on? They might be able to make an accommodation for you to take a day/half day off of work to allow you to go to your GP?
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
What about dropping your university's student support department an email about what's going on? They might be able to make an accommodation for you to take a day/half day off of work to allow you to go to your GP?

Last year i almost got kicked off the course for missing 3 days in a row because my mental health wasnt a valid excuse so im nervous about talking to them but thanks a lot for listening and trying to help! :smile:
Reply 5
Last year i almost got kicked off the course for missing 3 days in a row because my mental health wasnt a valid excuse so im nervous about talking to them but thanks a lot for listening and trying to help! :smile:

That's awful! They have a duty of care to look after students enrolled. Regardless, speak with the student support department or even a tutor or whoever is overseeing you at your placement and explain your difficulties. You shouldn't have suffer just because they're being obstinate and effectively either withholding help or blocking you from trying to access it.

Your area may allow you to self-refer to computerised CBT, that's another potential route.

There's also the Mental Health Support Society on here that you can post in too for peer support. You're not alone. :console:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending