The Student Room Group

Private Housing issue

I moved into this private student accommodation and since I have moved in there has been issues, nothing was cleaned, the owner did not mention the sensor lighting in the bedroom, the bed frame is broken, there was water leaking in the kitchen of my studio from someones bath. Can I get out of the contract with this accomodation as I do not want to live with them anymore?Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pohu1
I moved into this private student accommodation and since I have moved in there has been issues, nothing was cleaned, the owner did not mention the sensor lighting in the bedroom, the bed frame is broken, there was water leaking in the kitchen of my studio from someones bath. Can I get out of the contract with this accomodation as I do not want to live with them anymore?Thank you.

Hi there, I am really sorry you've experienced this. Please can I ask where this is? There should be a management team available to help get these issues sorted, the best thing is to speak to them face to face as they should be really concerned, especially about the leak.
Reply 2
Original post by Student Roost
Hi there, I am really sorry you've experienced this. Please can I ask where this is? There should be a management team available to help get these issues sorted, the best thing is to speak to them face to face as they should be really concerned, especially about the leak.

hey,
I have informed the management and sent them an email about this issue as well. I hope to speak to them tomorrow and see if they will let me leave.
The place is in sheffield.
Original post by pohu1
hey,
I have informed the management and sent them an email about this issue as well. I hope to speak to them tomorrow and see if they will let me leave.
The place is in sheffield.

If you can't resolve it, we do have rooms available https://www.studentroost.co.uk/search/results?q=sheffield, happy to help.
Original post by pohu1

If the building management/owner is willing and able to fix the issues, then I don't know whether you have grounds to get your contract cancelled. In order to leave, you'd need to find a replacement tenant to take over the contract.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If the building management/owner is willing and able to fix the issues, then I don't know whether you have grounds to get your contract cancelled. In order to leave, you'd need to find a replacement tenant to take over the contract.

They told me it is fixed but they lied. i woke up to water leaking and now it is leaking again. The guy said he cant do anything about the leak so yeah I am living in a room with a leak. I mean why should I find another tenant because the room I am living in has a leak which is not being solved and I am stuck here.
Reply 6
If you can't resolve it, we do have rooms available https://www.studentroost.co.uk/search/results?q=sheffield, happy to help.

I think I might need help and find a new room because the leak is happening again and the guy said he cant really fix it. I just want to know is it legal to live in a room with a leak from someone's bathroom?
Because the manager told me that I will need someone else to take over the tenancy. The room is not livable with the leak and he wants me to find someone else.
Original post by pohu1
I think I might need help and find a new room because the leak is happening again and the guy said he cant really fix it. I just want to know is it legal to live in a room with a leak from someone's bathroom?
Because the manager told me that I will need someone else to take over the tenancy. The room is not livable with the leak and he wants me to find someone else.

Have a read through your rental contract and see if there’s anything in there about a the condition of your room. You shouldn’t have to live with a leak at all.
Reply 8
Have a read through your rental contract and see if there’s anything in there about a the condition of your room. You shouldn’t have to live with a leak at all.

It just states that the landlord can end tenancy if it is unfit for residential occupation. That is the only reason I can see in the contract. There is nothing about rooms condition or anything else.
Original post by pohu1
They told me it is fixed but they lied. i woke up to water leaking and now it is leaking again. The guy said he cant do anything about the leak so yeah I am living in a room with a leak. I mean why should I find another tenant because the room I am living in has a leak which is not being solved and I am stuck here.

It seems a bit odd that they are saying that they can't fix the leak - all leaks can be fixed, so it sounds like they are trying to avoid the expense of getting an expert to repair it. What exactly is leaking, and does it make your room uninhabitable (i.e. is very near electrical outlets, is preventing you accessing running water etc.)? If so, it will probably say in your tenancy agreement that your accommodation provider needs to provide you with alternative housing until the leak is fixed.
Reply 10
It seems a bit odd that they are saying that they can't fix the leak - all leaks can be fixed, so it sounds like they are trying to avoid the expense of getting an expert to repair it. What exactly is leaking, and does it make your room uninhabitable (i.e. is very near electrical outlets, is preventing you accessing running water etc.)? If so, it will probably say in your tenancy agreement that your accommodation provider needs to provide you with alternative housing until the leak is fixed.

The leak is right above my kitchen and when it starts to leak I can’t cook or do anything. I had to wait till 11:30 so I could have my dinner. It is coming from the side of the light bulb. I told him to fix it but he said it’s because of the persons drain above and he can’t fix it probably as you said they are avoiding it. Also, he can’t move me to another room because according to him everything is booked.
Original post by pohu1
The leak is right above my kitchen and when it starts to leak I can’t cook or do anything. I had to wait till 11:30 so I could have my dinner. It is coming from the side of the light bulb. I told him to fix it but he said it’s because of the persons drain above and he can’t fix it probably as you said they are avoiding it. Also, he can’t move me to another room because according to him everything is booked.

Hmmm, you're not really giving us enough detail about where the leak actually is in your room and why you can't cook because of it. Where is the light bulb that it's affecting?

It depends what your tenancy agreement defines as 'uninhabitable'. Not being able to use your hob isn't making your room uninhabitable, but water in the electrics (i.e. lighting system) would be. I think the best thing you can do is contact your student union and Citizens Advice Bureau about this issue.
Reply 12
Hmmm, you're not really giving us enough detail about where the leak actually is in your room and why you can't cook because of it. Where is the light bulb that it's affecting?

It depends what your tenancy agreement defines as 'uninhabitable'. Not being able to use your hob isn't making your room uninhabitable, but water in the electrics (i.e. lighting system) would be. I think the best thing you can do is contact your student union and Citizens Advice Bureau about this issue.

I can send you a picture if that would be helpful?
The leak is coming from a light bulb which is right above where my kitchen is in my room. I live in a studio in a private student accommodation. The water kind of circles the bulb and falls around the kitchen area including the slab and the floor.

I think someones else drain water from the shower in your room (Kitchen slab and the floor) will have to make it uninhabitable. Also, the water is coming from the bulb so that is dangerous.
Also, I do not want another tenant living in this situation if they want me to find a new tenant they will face the same thing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by pohu1

Are you keeping a diary and taking photos of the complaints ?
You need a complete record.
Talk to Shelter and raise the dispute. If he doesnt fix then ask to leave.

Sheffield always has plenty of well priced accommodation.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/local_services/sheffield
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_landlord_wont_do_repairs

Skip the SU and you dont need a solicitor. Shelter is enough. Hopefully they dont take it seriously and you can terminate.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by pohu1
I can send you a picture if that would be helpful?
The leak is coming from a light bulb which is right above where my kitchen is in my room. I live in a studio in a private student accommodation. The water kind of circles the bulb and falls around the kitchen area including the slab and the floor.

I think someones else drain water from the shower in your room (Kitchen slab and the floor) will have to make it uninhabitable. Also, the water is coming from the bulb so that is dangerous.
Also, I do not want another tenant living in this situation if they want me to find a new tenant they will face the same thing.

Ah okay, I can visualise what you mean now. I would definitely talk to your accommodation provider again, and demand that they fix it and provide you with temporary accommodation while it's being fixed. If they refuse, then definitely get your student union involved and maybe even a solicitor if it comes to that.
Reply 15
Ah okay, I can visualise what you mean now. I would definitely talk to your accommodation provider again, and demand that they fix it and provide you with temporary accommodation while it's being fixed. If they refuse, then definitely get your student union involved and maybe even a solicitor if it comes to that.

Thank you for your help, I will speak to them tomorrow and see what they say and will keep you updated I just need help. I dont mind staying here if this is permanently fixed. If they are not doing it I want to leave.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
Are you keeping a diary and taking photos of the complaints ?
You need a complete record.
Talk to Shelter and raise the dispute. If he doesnt fix then ask to leave.

Sheffield always has plenty of well priced accommodation.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/local_services/sheffield
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_landlord_wont_do_repairs

Skip the SU and you dont need a solicitor. Shelter is enough. Hopefully they dont take it seriously and you can terminate.

Yes, i recorded it the first time. Also, i have sent him emails so I have a record of that.
Do shelter people help with private student accommodation? Because rn I am desperate for help.
Also, thank you for the suggestions I will for sure contact shelter.
Original post by pohu1
Yes, i recorded it the first time. Also, i have sent him emails so I have a record of that.
Do shelter people help with private student accommodation? Because rn I am desperate for help.
Also, thank you for the suggestions I will for sure contact shelter.

They are about 5-10 mins from the Hallam or 15-20 from The Uni. Top of the Moor. Take pictures to support your claim.
They do all accommodation. It is easier dealing with the uni.
Is it a hall or just a studio? All accommodation issues start with you reading your tenancy/licence agreement. If you want to stay then you want them to speed up repairs if you want to leave then you are trying to show their failure entitles you to do so.
Reply 18
They are about 5-10 mins from the Hallam or 15-20 from The Uni. Top of the Moor. Take pictures to support your claim.
Is it a hall or just a studio? All accommodation issues start with you reading your tenancy/licence agreement. If you want to stay then you want them to speed up repairs if you want to leave then you are trying to show their failure entitles you to do so.

It is a studio, honestly, the manager cannot do much and is restricted so I do not think they will fix it so I want to leave.
I will visit the shelter because with uni the process is too slow. I hope the shelter people will help.
Thank you.
Reply 19

I spoke to the manager today and according to him he cant find any source of leak, he said he thinks it is probably because of the person above. However, he is not sure. I cant cancel the tenancy because according to him they are trying to resolve it and if I leave I need to find another tenant. So in short according to him I am stuck here with this leak and he cant find the problem but he is "working hard". Also, if I find another tenant what am i suppose to tell them that there is a leak in the room. I have dropped a message on the phone for Shelter so I hope they will help me.

Quick Reply

Latest