The Student Room Group

A* Economics Student Videos

Hello everyone, I'm a student from Pakistan who has recently self-studied Economics and achieved an A*. I have noticed many students are absolutely flummoxed by Economics and the art of writing essays. I'd like to help out by sharing my own knowledge and expertise.

I'm thinking about starting a YouTube channel where I go through my own answers and explain the rationale behind each of them. Since I have self-studied through the entire course, I believe I have a relatively firm grasp on Economic's concepts and the art of writing an essay. I intend to go through some of the papers I have done and elaborate as to why I included every single sentence I did: how it helps nudge the level of my answer up from 1 to 2, then to 3, and so on. I will explain what makes up a good Economics answer and the crucial chain of reasoning behind each of my answers.

Currently I'm studying for the SAT and working on my own college essays. I'm rather strapped for time. I do not wish to make a significant time investment into this unless I know there is demand out there for such Economics videos. So my question is, is anyone interested?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fasih178
Hello everyone, I'm a student from Pakistan who has recently self-studied Economics and achieved an A*. I have noticed many students are absolutely flummoxed by Economics and the art of writing essays. I'd like to help out by sharing my own knowledge and expertise.

I'm thinking about starting a YouTube channel where I go through my own answers and explain the rationale behind each of them. Since I have self-studied through the entire course, I believe I have a relatively firm grasp on Economic's concepts and the art of writing an essay. I intend to go through some of the papers I have done and elaborate as to why I included every single sentence I did: how it helps nudge the level of my answer up from 1 to 2, then to 3, and so on. I will explain what makes up a good Economics answer and the crucial chain of reasoning behind each of my answers.

Currently I'm studying for the SAT and working on my own college essays. I'm rather strapped for time. I do not wish to make a significant time investment into this unless I know there is demand out there for such Economics videos. So my question is, is anyone interested?

Just do a few and see what the feedback is as well as demand.
People will be more interested in exams rather than explanation of economics.
No idea what the market is for IAL or CIE compared to UK boards.

If its too much effort v reward then focus on your own studies.
Reply 2

I really like Economics and am considering studying it at A level (I've started doing it at A level along with Maths, Further Maths and Physics), and I see your point that the majority of the students in my class seem to have no idea what is going on, especially when it comes to responding to questions. Good idea. I would also be interested in the videos (mainly for perfecting exam technique and essay writing). Good luck :smile:.
yeah I'm doing a level economics so I'd be interested
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Just do a few and see what the feedback is as well as demand.
People will be more interested in exams rather than explanation of economics.
No idea what the market is for IAL or CIE compared to UK boards.

If its too much effort v reward then focus on your own studies.

CIE and IAL are pretty much the same thing as the local exams in UK, at least as far as Economics is concerned. I have done both UK Econ papers and IAL papers, so I can put out videos for both, explaining how to structure answers.

Yep that's what I'm thinking. I will give it a try, and if people like it, then I shall continue.
Reply 5
Original post by Zoqua
I really like Economics and am considering studying it at A level (I've started doing it at A level along with Maths, Further Maths and Physics), and I see your point that the majority of the students in my class seem to have no idea what is going on, especially when it comes to responding to questions. Good idea. I would also be interested in the videos (mainly for perfecting exam technique and essay writing). Good luck :smile:.

That is exactly the same combo of subjects I did, except Physics, for I chose only 3 A-Levels. I have got an A* in Math too with an A in Further Math; perhaps I can upload some videos on those two as well.

Yes I am!!! I am in need of a desperate help right now
My AS level exam is in about 10 days and I failed my last exam and I am resitting it again. Please could you help me with essay patterns data based questions?
Reply 7
Original post by MiaNash
Yes I am!!! I am in need of a desperate help right now
My AS level exam is in about 10 days and I failed my last exam and I am resitting it again. Please could you help me with essay patterns data based questions?

I was thinking about starting from October, but I guess I will start uploading videos within the next few days. I can surely help with those questions; in fact, data based questions are my forte. Btw unit 1 or 2, or both?
Both but i just need an idea on how to solve them and techniques to answer them.
Reply 9
Original post by MiaNash
Both but i just need an idea on how to solve them and techniques to answer them.

Do you have a specific question you'd like me to explain, or shall I explain one of the data based questions I've already solved myself?
Do you have a specific question you'd like me to explain, or shall I explain one of the data based questions I've already solved myself?

You can explain any from the past papers :smile:

And also it would be nice if you solved questions which require formulas and calculations Like consumer price index
Reply 12
Original post by MiaNash
And also it would be nice if you solved questions which require formulas and calculations Like consumer price index

Of course, I will tackle those first. I'm going to be uploading my first video within the next couple days.
Yes please. That would be incredible. I've always struggled with the long mark questions and the data base questions
Of course, I will tackle those first. I'm going to be uploading my first video within the next couple days.

Can't wait for them! Good luck making them! and thank you :smile:

Yes please upload it soon I really need it! especially how to cover up the course in a short time and learn how to solve questions
Reply 16
Thank you for all the encouragement guys. I intented to upload a video today, but I ran into some issues with my cell phone's microphone. I will most likely have a video out by tomorrow.
Reply 17
A* Economics 1st Video

https://youtu.be/E7Iczt_aG8k

I apologize for the background noise. I recorded this through my phone's microphone, which is, well, pretty crappy. Please like, share and comment: a simple thanks is enough. Also, feel to critique and mention what you would like in the future videos.
can you do aqa aswell
Did you have an old student room account?

Quick Reply

Latest