The Student Room Group

What is autism

Sorry I made this thread accidentally so I might as well go along with it, what is your opinion and perception of autism?

In society today I believe that there is still a stigma surrounding autism which affects those who have it, thus the question above is to find out what your take on it is :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
That is a very good question. It's kind of hard to define it cause there are lots of different traits and aspects of it. :smile:
Original post by BlossomSugar
That is a very good question. It's kind of hard to define it cause there are lots of different traits and aspects of it. :smile:

How do you distinguish traits which anyone could have, which just so happen to be common in autistics, to just being non-autistic though?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by centraltrains
How do you disgusting traits which anyone could have, which just so happen to be common in autistics, to just being non-autistic though?

Um... idk. I'm not a professional :h: I do know however that some "autistic traits" are similar to those of attachment disorder.
Original post by Ikeo
Sorry I made this thread accidentally so I might as well go along with it, what is your opinion and perception of autism?

In society today I believe that there is still a stigma surrounding autism which affects those who have it, thus the question above is to find out what your take on it is :smile:

As autism is a spectrum (like many conditions), it is difficult to have one single perception of how autism presents itself in an individual.
As the person above stated, autism is a spectrum. That means most people will be somewhere on it, and have some of the traits but either not enough or not specific ones which means they aren't really affected.
Other people have high-functioning autism. This normally means they struggle with social interaction and may have the obsessive trait, but they are still a pretty normal person. Asperger's is closely related to this.
Girls also normally get diagnosed at an older age, because when younger they are better at fitting in normally but as they get older the traits become more prominent. Girls are also diagnosed with Asperger's more than with Autism Spectrum Disorder, because it's mainly the social interaction that they can't hide - they're better at disguising their obsession, overstimulation etc.,
Reply 7
Original post by Ikeo

The main thing I always realise with people who have hidden disabilities/health issue etc. is that people often don't believe them. This is usually because they think if you can't see it it isn't there.
Urban Dictionary's top definition:

Autism - A condition no one actually understands.

People treat people with autism like sh*t and get away with it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Urban Dictionary's top defnition:

Autism - A condition no one actually understands.

People treat people with autism like sh*t and get away with it.

Yes, my sister has low-functioning autism. Literally everyone treats her as if she is just dumb, but that's not the case at all.
autism is a spectrum. i recommend not using functioning labels and i find them redundant. we just all have different traits.

as someone who had the diagnosis, stop using 'aspergers' all together. its a redundant diagnosis, and its named after a nazi who wanted to euthanise any autistic children who werent 'high functioning'
Original post by Tenya Iida
autism is a spectrum. i recommend not using functioning labels and i find them redundant. we just all have different traits.

as someone who had the diagnosis, stop using 'aspergers' all together. its a redundant diagnosis, and its named after a nazi who wanted to euthanise any autistic children who werent 'high functioning'

Yikes is there a new name or something coz that's on my personal statement :ninja:
Original post by Glaz
Yikes is there a new name or something coz that's on my personal statement :ninja:

id say just say 'autistic' since its a spectrum, we all fit under that that.
Reply 13
Original post by Tenya Iida
id say just say 'autistic' since its a spectrum, we all fit under that that.

I would probably say autism spectrum disorder instead because of it being the new term for aspergers, although I do say aspergers in generality because of it having less stigma than autism in my opinion
Original post by Ikeo
I would probably say autism spectrum disorder instead because of it being the new term for aspergers, although I do say aspergers in generality because of it having less stigma than autism in my opinion

yeah. i say 'autism' or 'asd' mostly.
A s**** thing that you are stuck with for life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending