The Student Room Group

Anyone study Classics?

I'm doing a joint honours BA in English and Classics, Classics being the subject that I've never studied before but thought would be interesting. Now I'm starting to worry a little.....what can I do to make studying classical literature easier? :smile:
Don’t know about university level, but I took classics GCSE over the summer. Try reading lots of different texts, from different eras. Any decent second hand bookshop will probably have some cheap paperback translations, which can give you an insight into the thought processes of the people who wrote them, particularly if you pick up letters (especially Cicero’s) which are much more human and revealing. Even a rudimentary understanding of some basic Latin was useful for me, though I guess it depends what sort of stuff you have to study. Ancient History Encyclopedia online is a great resource for specific queries. There are tonnes of books on all different classics subjects out there, many of which are non academic and easy to read. Robin lane fox’s the Classical World is a good start in terms of history, and OUP Very Short Introductions have loads on classics and classical literature. You can also join classics organisations online, or try to find groups near you. My experience is that you just need to immerse yourself as much as possible in all different kinds of culture and literature from the ancient world.
Original post by JanusGodofDoors
Don’t know about university level, but I took classics GCSE over the summer. Try reading lots of different texts, from different eras. Any decent second hand bookshop will probably have some cheap paperback translations, which can give you an insight into the thought processes of the people who wrote them, particularly if you pick up letters (especially Cicero’s) which are much more human and revealing. Even a rudimentary understanding of some basic Latin was useful for me, though I guess it depends what sort of stuff you have to study. Ancient History Encyclopedia online is a great resource for specific queries. There are tonnes of books on all different classics subjects out there, many of which are non academic and easy to read. Robin lane fox’s the Classical World is a good start in terms of history, and OUP Very Short Introductions have loads on classics and classical literature. You can also join classics organisations online, or try to find groups near you. My experience is that you just need to immerse yourself as much as possible in all different kinds of culture and literature from the ancient world.

hey thank you so much for your advice I'll definitely check out your suggestions :smile:

Did you take OCR Classical Civilisation?
How did you find paper 1?
Original post by OptimisticMedic
Did you take OCR Classical Civilisation?
How did you find paper 1?

I’m sorry, my original post was actually a bit misleading! I took the OCR GCSE ancient history this summer, and I am studying to take the classical civilisation next summer (I’m home-ed at the moment, so I took a few of a my GCSEs a year earlier, this summer). I just sort of said classics as a short hand. Since I’m guessing you did take the GCSE this year, best of luck with your results tomorrow!
I’m sorry, my original post was actually a bit misleading! I took the OCR GCSE ancient history this summer, and I am studying to take the classical civilisation next summer (I’m home-ed at the moment, so I took a few of a my GCSEs a year earlier, this summer). I just sort of said classics as a short hand. Since I’m guessing you did take the GCSE this year, best of luck with your results tomorrow!

Thanks!
I studied Classics at university level without any prior experience, and found the transition very easy. The study of Classical literature is like studying English Literature, and there are some excellent translations out there.
Original post by thesnowbones
I studied Classics at university level without any prior experience, and found the transition very easy. The study of Classical literature is like studying English Literature, and there are some excellent translations out there.

thank you! anything you recommend me do to have a good transition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending