The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nidhish04
Ohhh I see. I have completed A levels and obtained A*AA and GCSEs are 2 A*s, 6 As and one 5. You mentioned as levels getting 27 points but they didn’t exist during my year of study so does that mean as I’ve done my a levels I get 27 points and would I get in?

Sadly not, I am afraid you would not get an interview. By all means e-mail admissions with your stats and ask what your academic score would be before BMAT, they will tell you that. I would be surprised but delighted if I am wrong!

I agree that it is strange that they don't give full academic points to people who have met the standard offer and would almost definitely have got AAA at AS.
any international applicants applying to Leeds?
Reply 22
Original post by puravi
any international applicants applying to Leeds?

l managed to apply for IFY(art and design) the day before yesterday. So anxious waiting for outcome now...
I got 8 9s (A*) in my GCSEs and 2 7s (A’s) and A*AA predictions and I want to apply to Leeds. How well would I have to do in my BMAT to secure an interview?
I’m also looking at Kent and Medway, Cardiff/ Queens University Belfast and Brighton and Sussex. Would you say B&S is more or less competitive than Leeds? Do they require a higher BMAT?
Reply 24
Original post by citrusltm
I got 8 9s (A*) in my GCSEs and 2 7s (A’s) and A*AA predictions and I want to apply to Leeds. How well would I have to do in my BMAT to secure an interview?
I’m also looking at Kent and Medway, Cardiff/ Queens University Belfast and Brighton and Sussex. Would you say B&S is more or less competitive than Leeds? Do they require a higher BMAT?

What subjects were the 7s?
Original post by TCL
What subjects were the 7s?

Maths and French
Reply 26
Original post by citrusltm
Maths and French

You score 34/35 before BMAT and last year the cut off was 37. The highest the cut off could be is 38 unless the top 40% BMAT scorers all have perfect academics (they interviewed 1,000 out of 2,500 last year, so mathematically the cut off could only be higher than 38 if all the top 40% BMAT scores also had perfect academics).

You need to score 4/5 for a guaranteed interview, 3/5 for a likely interview. The problem is that we don't know what sort of score gets 4/5. All I can tell you is that 5,5,3A got 5/5 last year, so it feels like 4,4,3A would be good enough.
I get my score to 34 before I take the bmat I should meet A2l does that score seem okay ?It appears that they have interviewed A2L from a score of 31 in 2018 but unsure I have interpreted the data correctly
Reply 28
Original post by Langsett
I get my score to 34 before I take the bmat I should meet A2l does that score seem okay ?It appears that they have interviewed A2L from a score of 31 in 2018 but unsure I have interpreted the data correctly

Yes, A2L should have a lower score for securing an interview.
Hi, a little confused on scoring and cut offs. I have 6A* 2A 1B A*-HPQ. I am yet to do BMAT. Predicted A*AA. What score will I have and do I stand a chance.
Reply 30
Original post by Walid1902
Hi, a little confused on scoring and cut offs. I have 6A* 2A 1B A*-HPQ. I am yet to do BMAT. Predicted A*AA. What score will I have and do I stand a chance.

I don't know what HPQ is. What is the B?
I got 8A* 1A 1B (english lang) 3A* prediction and 4.7/4.9/3A for bmat. Does anyone know what band ill get with my bmat?
Reply 32
Original post by Schoolboy101
I got 8A* 1A 1B (english lang) 3A* prediction and 4.7/4.9/3A for bmat. Does anyone know what band ill get with my bmat?

What was the A for? Last year 5,5,3A was 5/5 for BMAT so it will be either 4 or 5 points. The BMAT score threshold move around.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TCL
What was the A for? Last year 5,5,3A was 5/5 for BMAT so it will be either 4 or 5 points. The BMAT score threshold move around.

The A is in arabic. So my total will be around 37/38 depending on the bmat threshold. Do you think the cut off of 37 from last year will decrease or increase because of factors like the new reformed gcses?
Reply 34
The A is in arabic. So my total will be around 37/38 depending on the bmat threshold. Do you think the cut off of 37 from last year will decrease or increase because of factors like the new reformed gcses?

There is a question! I don't think it will decrease - it will be either 37 or 38 so you are right on the cusp!

It can't be more than 38 as there are 2,500 applicants and 1,000 interviewed so unless every one of the 1,000 had full academic points, some of them must have 38 points. It may go from 37 to 38 as there are more 8/9 grades around than there were A* grades.

You have a good chance, but you can't be 100% sure of an interview.
Could someone give me an idea whether I'd get an interview offer with these stats and what i would need to get on the BMAT.
9 A*s at GCSE and A*A*A prediction and I'm also eligible for A2L.
Reply 36
Original post by Kevwelday
Could someone give me an idea whether I'd get an interview offer with these stats and what i would need to get on the BMAT.
9 A*s at GCSE and A*A*A prediction and I'm also eligible for A2L.

For normal entry you need 2-3 points for the BMAT, presumably lower for A2L. I don't really know what sort of score that is - maybe 4,4,3A?
Original post by TCL
There is a question! I don't think it will decrease - it will be either 37 or 38 so you are right on the cusp!

It can't be more than 38 as there are 2,500 applicants and 1,000 interviewed so unless every one of the 1,000 had full academic points, some of them must have 38 points. It may go from 37 to 38 as there are more 8/9 grades around than there were A* grades.

You have a good chance, but you can't be 100% sure of an interview.

I'm just out of luck then I guess. Also do they score your personal statement after reviewing your academics? There isnt really a clear answer anywhere.
Reply 38
I'm just out of luck then I guess. Also do they score your personal statement after reviewing your academics? There isnt really a clear answer anywhere.

No, they no longer score PS. They are very good at answering e-mails if you want to ask them anything.
Original post by TCL
As Leeds are not exactly transparent about their shortlisting, here is a summary for A level applicants.

Applications are scored out of 40, with 27 points for GCSEs/AS levels, 8 points for A levels and 5 points for BMAT. They are a bit vague about what they do with the PS, but it is not included in the points system.

The GCSE points are calculated for your 9 best including maths, english and science. 3 points for A*/9/8, 2 points for A/7, 1 point for B/6. They have confirmed this is unchanged for 2020 entry.
If you have done AS levels and have AAA, they give you the full 27 for that instead of the GCSE points.

You get 8 points for AAA A levels achieved/predicted.

The BMAT scores of all applicants are converted to a single score. I don't think anybody managed to work out quite how they convert it, but they say that sections 1 and 2 have double the weighting of section 3. I was told by Admissions that they do not use the letter in the score, but others got different responses. For 2019 5,5,3A got 5 points, so the threshold for top BMAT band was no higher than that and was probably a little lower.

For 2019 entry, regular (non-A2L) applicants needed 37 points - so 6A*s, 3As at GCSE, AAA at A level, top band BMAT was just enough for an interview. There will be more people with a high number of 8/9s this year as some of the old As would have been 8s, so there is a risk that people will need 38 points this year.

Where did you get the cut-off figure for 2019 entry? I have sent several emails to the university about previous years cut-offs to which they reply that they do not have the information available and it would be unuseful seen as it varies annually.

Latest

Trending

Trending