The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Commuting to Hertfordshire university

What is the fastest route from Shepherd’s Bush (west London) to Hatfield station and its prices. (I’m commuting to Hertfordshire)
Can I still use my oyster or do I buy a railcard, really confusing.
Thanks
Original post by sherzsy
What is the fastest route from Shepherd’s Bush (west London) to Hatfield station and its prices. (I’m commuting to Hertfordshire)
Thanks

Hello @sherzsy!

Unfortunately Hatfield is not in the PAYG Oyster Card zone. However, it is believed that Oyster may come to Hatfield station in early 2020.

Depending on where you live in Shepherd's Bush, I would recommend getting the tube (Circle/Hammersmith & City) or a bus over to Kings Cross. From there you can get a train directly to Hatfield (a Thameslink/Great Northern train which takes 25 minutes). Alternatively if you would prefer to only use Oyster for your rail travel, you could get off at Potters Bar (which accepts Oyster) and take a bus from there (the 610 Uno Bus).

Another alternative is to get a train from St Pancras up to St Albans and then get the bus across to Hatfield (the 601, 602 and 653 Uno Busses take that route). The advantage of this is that PAYG Oyster can be used at St Albans, and it takes just 21 minutes to make that rail journey.

To get between Hatfield Railway station and College Lane you could use 341, 614, 644, 602, 641 or 653. The latter 3 of which are the fastest. To get between Hatfield Railway Station and De Hav campus you could use the 341, 614 or 644. It costs £1.10 each way to use the bus between Hatfield Station and UH Campuses. Alternatively it is a 35 minute walk from the station to either campus.

The Uno bus company is run by University of Hertfordshire and also has routes into North London (such as Edgware, Queensbury, Watford, Barnet, Enfield and Cockfosters). Depending on how accessible these areas are from Shepherd's Bush, you could get a bus up to UH. You can view route maps here (Hatfield or North London) or on the Uno website.

Its hard to say which would be cheaper, but if you end up using the train it would be worth getting a 16-25 discount card or taking a look at what longer term rail passes are available. Additionally, if you end up using Uno busses a lot, you can get a discounted student bus pass for that.

I reckon the fastest of those routes would be the one via Kings Cross to Hatfield Station, with the route via St Pancras and St Albans being 2nd fastest. As for the cheapest, its hard to say, as it will depend on if you are using an oyster or rail card and what time you are travelling. Here's the price for the fastest route:

TRAVELLING OFF PEAK:
(WITH 16-25 RAILCARD)
Kings X to Hatfield day return: £8.65
Bus from station to campus: £1.10
Bus from campus to station: £1.10
TOTAL COST: £10.85

TRAVELLING PEAK:
(WITH 16-25 RAILCARD)
Kings X to Hatfield day return: £10.25
TOTAL COST: £12.45

Without railcard it would cost £15.30 off peak and £17.70 peak in total (including bus tickets). I haven't included the costs of getting between Kings X and Shepherd's Bus in the above calculations as I am unaware of the bus/tube prices. Depending on how many days a week you have to be at Uni it may be worth looking at Season or Monthly Season tickets.

For route advice, @UnclePete knows a lot. Especially when it comes to the Uno bus options.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by Herts UG Student Rep
Hello @sherzsy!

Unfortunately Hatfield is not in the PAYG Oyster Card zone. However, it is believed that Oyster may come to Hatfield station in early 2020.

Depending on where you live in Shepherd's Bush, I would recommend getting the tube (Circle/Hammersmith & City) or a bus over to Kings Cross. From there you can get a train directly to Hatfield (a Thameslink/Great Northern train which takes 25 minutes). Alternatively if you would prefer to only use Oyster for your rail travel, you could get off at Potters Bar (which accepts Oyster) and take a bus from there (the 610 Uno Bus).

Another alternative is to get a train from St Pancras up to St Albans and then get the bus across to Hatfield (the 601, 602 and 653 Uno Busses take that route). The advantage of this is that PAYG Oyster can be used at St Albans, and it takes just 21 minutes to make that rail journey.

To get between Hatfield Railway station and College Lane you could use 341, 614, 644, 602, 641 or 653. The latter 3 of which are the fastest. To get between Hatfield Railway Station and De Hav campus you could use the 341, 614 or 644. It costs £1.10 each way to use the bus between Hatfield Station and UH Campuses. Alternatively it is a 35 minute walk from the station to either campus.

The Uno bus company is run by University of Hertfordshire and also has routes into North London (such as Edgware, Queensbury, Watford, Barnet, Enfield and Cockfosters). Depending on how accessible these areas are from Shepherd's Bush, you could get a bus up to UH. You can view route maps here (Hatfield or North London) or on the Uno website.

Its hard to say which would be cheaper, but if you end up using the train it would be worth getting a 16-25 discount card or taking a look at what longer term rail passes are available. Additionally, if you end up using Uno busses a lot, you can get a discounted student bus pass for that.

I reckon the fastest of those routes would be the one via Kings Cross to Hatfield Station, with the route via St Pancras and St Albans being 2nd fastest. As for the cheapest, its hard to say, as it will depend on if you are using an oyster or rail card and what time you are travelling. Here's the price for the fastest route:

TRAVELLING OFF PEAK:
(WITH 16-25 RAILCARD)
Kings X to Hatfield day return: £8.65
TOTAL COST: £10.85

TRAVELLING PEAK:
(WITH 16-25 RAILCARD)
Kings X to Hatfield day return: £10.25
TOTAL COST: £12.45

Without railcard it would cost £15.30 off peak and £17.70 peak in total (including bus tickets). I haven't included the costs of getting between Kings X and Shepherd's Bus in the above calculations as I am unaware of the bus/tube prices. Depending on how many days a week you have to be at Uni it may be worth looking at Season or Monthly Season tickets.

For route advice, @UnclePete knows a lot. Especially when it comes to the Uno bus options.

:frown: :wink: Woooooooah ! Let`s apply the brakes a little...............

The Oyster system is not yet valid to the city of Saint Alban, almost, but not quite, not just yet, however hopefully - and having heard this so many times before will believe so when it actually comes about - at the end of this year/early next.

On the St. Pancras- St. Albans Thameslink line Oyster is now valid to Radlett, next station down the line from St. Albans.

From Radlett both the UNO 601 and 602 go through to the UH ( the 601 to de Hav only) but take just over an hour so I would`nt think Radlett is really an option, and you would have to de -train to register the Oyster . If then going on by train to St. Albans, from which there is a frequent Mon-Sat bus service to or near the UH (UNO and Arriva operate the buses) the cost of continuing on from Radlett ( anytime day return £7.80, off peak with railcard £4.10p) and then on from St. Albans ( UNO fare zone 1) would negate any advantage using this route.

If coming out from H/Smith, or The Bush say, I would use the Oyster KX or Finsbury Park to Potters Bar then take the UNO 610, (UNO fare zone 2) or term time only 611 which starts at Enfield Church St. 07.06, Cockfosters u-ground 07.26 and Potters Bar 07.55. The 611 is a peak hour term time only variation of the 610 and cuts out the two villages of Brookmans Park and Welham Green which the 610 does`nt and arrives UH Forum 08.14, de Hav 08.24.

The UNO 614/44 from Queensbury to Hatfield via Edgware etc. may be worth a look at - time precludes me from doing so at the moment -although I doubt if any advantage would be gained using this route over KX-PB and possibly Hatfield.

If you wanted to continue on from PB to Hatfield just up the line, where again there is a frequent depending on the time of the day weekday bus service to the UH, from PB the fare is £2.80p return anytime, £2.65 with rail card.

As said before, UNO timetables and info. can be accessed on www.unobus.info

:mad: Note - since last April UNO have introduced a two-tier timetable on the 610/11/614/44 routes: one for term time and a reduced one for UH vacations. Keep this in mind when checking the t/tables as I myself have almost overlooked this a couple of times when checking out !

As to the YP 16-25 Railcard: this can, unlike other railcards, be used to discount peak hour fares but only with a minimum discounted fare of £12. it cannot be used to discount seasons.

Santander Bank did, and as far as I know still do, give you one for free as long as you bank with them subject to certain credit/debit as a student, and I believe for a year or so afterwards - you can check this out yourselves.
I`ve put direct links to railcards and travel sites on my other posts previously. Any problems accessing these will try to help.
Comments welcome.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thankyouu both so much!!! Really helpful !!! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thankyouu both so much!!! Really helpful !!! :smile:

No worries! Hope you enjoy joining us at Herts! Fingers crossed you'll have a pleasant/smooth commute too :biggrin:
Original post by UnclePete
:frown: :wink: Woooooooah ! Let`s apply the brakes a little...............

The Oyster system is not yet valid to the city of Saint Alban, almost, but not quite, not just yet, however hopefully - and having heard this so many times before will believe so when it actually comes about - at the end of this year/early next.

On the St. Pancras- St. Albans Thameslink line Oyster is now valid to Radlett, next station down the line from St. Albans.

From Radlett both the UNO 601 and 602 go through to the UH ( the 601 to de Hav only) but take just over an hour so I would`nt think Radlett is really an option, and you would have to de -train to register the Oyster . If then going on by train to St. Albans, from which there is a frequent Mon-Sat bus service to or near the UH (UNO and Arriva operate the buses) the cost of continuing on from Radlett ( anytime day return £7.80, off peak with railcard £4.10p) and then on from St. Albans ( UNO fare zone 1) would negate any advantage using this route.

If coming out from H/Smith, or The Bush say, I would use the Oyster KX or Finsbury Park to Potters Bar then take the UNO 610, (UNO fare zone 2) or term time only 611 which starts at Enfield Church St. 07.06, Cockfosters u-ground 07.26 and Potters Bar 07.55. The 611 is a peak hour term time only variation of the 610 and cuts out the two villages of Brookmans Park and Welham Green which the 610 does`nt and arrives UH Forum 08.14, de Hav 08.24.

The UNO 614/44 from Queensbury to Hatfield via Edgware etc. may be worth a look at - time precludes me from doing so at the moment -although I doubt if any advantage would be gained using this route over KX-PB and possibly Hatfield.

If you wanted to continue on from PB to Hatfield just up the line, where again there is a frequent depending on the time of the day weekday bus service to the UH, from PB the fare is £2.80p return anytime, £2.65 with rail card.

As said before, UNO timetables and info. can be accessed on www.unobus.info

:mad: Note - since last April UNO have introduced a two-tier timetable on the 610/11/614/44 routes: one for term time and a reduced one for UH vacations. Keep this in mind when checking the t/tables as I myself have almost overlooked this a couple of times when checking out !

As to the YP 16-25 Railcard: this can, unlike other railcards, be used to discount peak hour fares but only with a minimum discounted fare of £12. it cannot be used to discount seasons.

Santander Bank did, and as far as I know still do, give you one for free as long as you bank with them subject to certain credit/debit as a student, and I believe for a year or so afterwards - you can check this out yourselves.
I`ve put direct links to railcards and travel sites on my other posts previously. Any problems accessing these will try to help.
Comments welcome.

No worries! Hope you enjoy joining us at Herts! Fingers crossed you'll have a pleasant/smooth commute too :biggrin:

So I also will be commuting from London to Hertfordshire. I need help figuring out the easiest way and the pricing of my travels too. I live near Finsbury Park station which makes my journey a little easier. But still baft with the travelling.
Original post by Mazrik221
So I also will be commuting from London to Hertfordshire. I need help figuring out the easiest way and the pricing of my travels too. I live near Finsbury Park station which makes my journey a little easier. But still baft with the travelling.

:redface: Buses go along the Seven Sisters Rd. stopping adjacent to, or into the bus bay outside the station. Or, walk / use u/ground to Finsbury Park Stn, then train to either Potters Bar or Hatfield. Rule of thumb on the u/ground: about two minutes between stations.
You will note from the previous posts and replies Tom, the UH UG Student Rep and myself have put in considerable detail options to and from then on.

Trains are pretty frequent at the time of day you most likely wish to travel, there are the semi-fast ones from King`s Cross stopping Potters Bar and Hatfield only, also the stopping ones coming up from Moorgate that call all stations to Welwyn Garden City ( next station up the line from Hatfield).

Don`t get a Watton-on-Stone/ Stevenage one going via Hertford North as this branches off after Wood Green/Alexandra Palace missing Potters Bar and Hatfield.

If using Oyster these are valid now to Potters Bar so you can either get the 610/611 UNO bus from there to the UH, or de-train to register your Oyster and continue on non-Oyster fare to Hatfield from where outside the station UNO buses serve both campuses and the Arriva ones go by de Hav.

The cost: depends on if you have a Oyster/railcard etc. UNO do student/staff discounted fares check out on www.unobus.info (Potters Bar is the UNO zone 2, Hatfield UNO zone 1 or student local only fare of £1.20p, but you will need to show your UH ID when boarding the bus- the drivers are punctilious about this). Also UNO no longer give credit vouchers for large value notes or money if they don`t have enough change, this is mentioned on their website Twitter feed and on the buses, so best to pay electronically . Tfl fare tariffs do not apply on UNO buses.

A couple of useful `phone nos : 03457 484950 open 24/7 for National train info. including fares, they also give info. on the Oyster, and 0343 222 1234 for specific Tfl queries.

Santander offer the 16-25 Young Persons railcard buckshee as long as you bank, subject to a minimum debit/credit, with them while a student and I think a while afterwards.
Google in www.railcard.co.uk and this will give you rail-card options available. www.trainsplit.com is another useful link.
Hope this helps.
(edited 4 years ago)

:redface: Buses go along the Seven Sisters Rd. stopping adjacent to, or into the bus bay outside the station. Or, walk / use u/ground to Finsbury Park Stn, then train to either Potters Bar or Hatfield. Rule of thumb on the u/ground: about two minutes between stations.
You will note from the previous posts and replies Tom, the UH UG Student Rep and myself have put in considerable detail options to and from then on.

Trains are pretty frequent at the time of day you most likely wish to travel, there are the semi-fast ones from King`s Cross stopping Potters Bar and Hatfield only, also the stopping ones coming up from Moorgate that call all stations to Welwyn Garden City ( next station up the line from Hatfield).

Don`t get a Watton-on-Stone/ Stevenage one going via Hertford North as this branches off after Wood Green/Alexandra Palace missing Potters Bar and Hatfield.

If using Oyster these are valid only to Potters Bar now TfL zone 6, so you can either get the 610/611 UNO bus from there to the UH, or de-train to register your Oyster and continue on non-Oyster fare to Hatfield from where outside the station UNO buses serve both campuses and the Arriva ones go by de Hav.

The cost: depends on if you have a Oyster/railcard etc. UNO do student/staff discounted fares check out on www.unobus.info (Potters Bar is the UNO zone 2, Hatfield UNO zone 1 or student local only fare of £1.20p, but you will need to show your UH ID when boarding the bus- the drivers are punctilious about this). Also UNO no longer give credit vouchers for large value notes or money if they don`t have enough change, this is mentioned on their website Twitter feed and on the buses, so best to pay electronically . Tfl fare tariffs do not apply on UNO buses.

A couple of useful `phone nos : 03457 484950 open 24/7 for National train info. including fares, they also give info. on the Oyster, and 0343 222 1234 for specific Tfl queries.

Santander offer the 16-25 Young Persons railcard buckshee as long as you bank, subject to a minimum debit/credit, with them while a student and I think a while afterwards.
Google in www.railcard.co.uk and this will give you rail-card options available. www.trainsplit.com is another useful link.
Hope this helps.

By the way the UNO buses are not looping in to the Halls of Residence Roberts Way stops this weekend ( 21st-22nd Sept ) : use stops outside in Bishop`s Rise instead.

Hey!

I think @UnclePete has got you covered there, with a good few options. Let me know if you need any further help :smile:

If using Oyster these are valid only to Potters Bar now TfL zone 6, so you can either get the 610/611 UNO bus from there to the UH, or de-train to register your Oyster and continue on non-Oyster fare to Hatfield from where outside the station UNO buses serve both campuses and the Arriva ones go by de Hav.

Hope this helps.

By the way the UNO buses are not looping in to the Halls of Residence Roberts Way stops this weekend ( 21st-22nd Sept ) : use stops outside in Bishop`s Rise instead.

Thank you very much for the in depth reply was very helpful. When you say pay electronically for the uno bus fare do you mean through the app or through contactless payment?

Hope this helps.

Also as you said potters bar station now is in the TfL zone does this mean the fares also cost the standard TfL fare fee? Or is it different.
Thank you very much for the in depth reply was very helpful. When you say pay electronically for the uno bus fare do you mean through the app or through contactless payment?

I also want to know this, as first day of uni i wont have an UH ID card with me, can i pay by cash for the uno bus??
I also want to know this, as first day of uni i wont have an UH ID card with me, can i pay by cash for the uno bus??

Hello Mazrik221 & Anonymous!

First, excuse delay in reply.

To/from London to Potters Bar where the Oyster has recently been added, the TfL zone 6 applies to Hadley Wood. Not P-B as we were first told. Normal National Rail fares apply from H-W on.

If you take the 610/611 from PB, the stops are right outside the station entrance - if in doubt any of the station staff will put you right.
Normal public ( i.e. not discounted UH Staff/student ones in which you will need your UH ID card) are currently for UNO zone 2 which P-B is, paying on the bus £8 cash or contactless for unlimited daily travel in UNO zones 1 & 2. This is reduced to £7.40p if paying on the app.

Should you wish to use other buses then for £1 more ( £9) the Hertfordshire County Council`s Intalink Explorer ticket can be bought giving you unlimited travel for the day on virtually all Hertfordshire buses. Go to www.intalink.org.uk which is the HCC comprehensive travel site for more info.

If continuing on to Hatfield- and don`t forget you will have to de-train first to register if paying by Oyster and then catch a following train with normal National Rail fares- from Hatfield station UNO buses serve both campuses ( the exception being the 341/641 which only serves The Forum/College Lane some journeys certain times of the day - check out on www.unobus.info although it does serve de Hav most journeys). This is in UNO zone 1- normal public fare £1.60p, £1.20p with UH ID card.

One thing maybe worth looking at for some of you in the interim is the Plusbus scheme, where for a small extra payment when buying your train ticket at the station of origin unlimited local bus travel at your chosen destination can be had.

For Hatfield it is currently £3 daily, £13.50p weekly. And this is reduced by around a third if a you hold a valid rail card (The YP 16-25 one, say.) For info. go to www.plusbus.info

Hope this is of some use.

Finally: As I have said several times before, if paying by cash please think ahead and tender the exact fare or as near to it as you can. UNO - and for all I know now Arriva who run the 301,302, limited stop Greenline 724 through Hatfield - will no longer give change for large notes if the driver does not have enough cash.
Drivers are not obliged to carry a large float - in fact some bus companies do not allow this as a matter of policy owing to drivers being mugged for the cash & float. Sad, but the reality of life today.

This also applies at Hatfield Station for the train as well - one of the ticket clerks I know told me they got pretty hacked off when about half a dozen or so in a row wanted travel cards or fares for less than £10 and continually used to each offer something like the old £50 notes. Put yourself in their shoes. If unable to tender the exact or as reasonably near to exact fare, club together, one pays for all and then settle up between yourselves afterwards. In any case, group tickets often work out cheaper. The Network train card, for instance, gives you one third of off-fares subject to some restrictions Mon- Fri , but you can take up to three adults with you at the same discount - all for £30/year, or £70 /three years if bought online which I do.

It certainly pays to do your homework : yesterday I had occasion to visit Lowestoft for the excellent East Anglia Transport Museum special annual electric trolleybus weekend, also to meet up with a friend living there and didn`t fancy driving : my days of regarding it anything but a necessary chore are long since gone, and by split-ticketing I saved myself around £11, in fact around £20 or more by not going via London : first by buying a railcard discounted super off peak day return to Cambridge, then another from there to Lowestoft valid either by Norwich or Ipswich. Most tickets can be bought dated in advance which, if I definitely know I will make that particular journey, I do to save waiting on the day at the ticket office or machine.

Bus stops- again as said before, treat all in Hertfordshire except the principal ones as request - it does actually say on the bus stop flags " signal clearly for the bus to stop".
Hope this helps.
(edited 4 years ago)
What do you mean by standard tfl fees alongside national rail fees apply to potters bar?
What do you mean by standard tfl fees alongside national rail fees apply to potters bar?

Correct me if I am wrong @UnclePete, but I believe this is just noting that you can travel using either TfL Oyster Card or National Rail train tickets going between Potters Bar and central London stations.
Correct me if I am wrong @UnclePete, but I believe this is just noting that you can travel using either TfL Oyster Card or National Rail train tickets going between Potters Bar and central London stations.

So I can tap in at Finsbury with the standard tfl fare fee to potters bar?
So I can tap in at Finsbury with the standard tfl fare fee to potters bar?

You should be able to. Finsbury Park has long been in the Oyster zone and more recently Potters Bar has been added. You can find out more information about using Oyster at Potters Bar here.
You should be able to. Finsbury Park has long been in the Oyster zone and more recently Potters Bar has been added. You can find out more information about using Oyster at Potters Bar here.

Sorry I meant so I can take the train from Finsbury Park to potters bar for the standard tfl fare fee.
Sorry I meant so I can take the train from Finsbury Park to potters bar for the standard tfl fare fee.

I have double checked with the specific TfL `phone line 0343 222 1234 rather than as before the National Rail Helpline 03457 484950, and Oysters can be used all the way through to Potters Bar without change of train ( i.e, semi-fasts from Finsbury Park first stop PB without having to detrain and register your Oyster at Hadley Wood, then catch a following one as previously was the case).

However, the TfL zone 6 still ends for the present at Hadley Wood and not Potters Bar, as this is still in its own zone outside of that so separate top-ups apply from HW -PB.

I must admit I found this confusing myself - the National Rail Helpline gave me conflicting info. on a couple of occasions and I have had no reason to use the Oyster myself for some time.
As I understand the YP 16-25 card can be loaded up to the Oyster which itself gives reductions - again go to the YP Railcard site or enquire with TfL /NR numbers given.

Finally I noticed on the de Hav bus stops this a.m. while on the bus that students can use some UNO buses in addtition to the normal shuttles between the campuses free of charge, and Freshers can just show their wrist bands to validate themselves until their UH student ID Cards are ready.

I am not sure if also applies to student reduced fares I have said about before on all the UNO services around - the best folk to put you right on that are either Tom the UH UG Student Rep, or Chirasree from the UH.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sherzsy
Thanks

hello i am from stevenage
Original post by looloo1
hello i am from stevenage

:redface: UNO 635 runs from Hitchin ( some journeys) and Stevenage ( all journeys) through to Watford, with some of the early morning /later evening journeys starting/terminating at either the bus garage in Gypsy Moth Avenue or The Forum. Keep in mind however this, like a lot of routes, is very much subject to the vagaries of amount of traffic peak hours.
Check out times on www.unobus.info

Or use train Stevenage to Hatfield around 15mins, then UNO bus to campuses.

By the way, how did those of you commuting out from London get on now things have hopefully settled down?
As to the Oyster being extended out further than currently Potters Bar and Radlett, we will have to hold our breath on that one. Having heard it so many times then nought, will believe so when it actually happens!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest