The Student Room Group

Computing / Computer Science Help!

I have got a new teacher In Computer Science I am in Year 10 studying the OCR exam board. Our new teacher is awful and cannot explain things well. For example, in one topic she didn't know what she was going on about and when one of us asked a question she dismissed it as she didn't know. We spend about 5 lessons on one topic. Usually, in Year 9 we spent about 2 lessons as our class can pick up this easily. How can I help my studies and improve my learning at home? Thanks

-Aaron
Whenever I was in this situation at school, I got a bunch of books and watched GCSE videos on YouTube. The syllabus will be online, just go through it and research each topic, making sure you get a firm grasp on the subject and do a lot of practice and exercise questions. Also, try asking another CS teacher. Even though they may not be your assigned tutor, all teachers are (should be) more than happy to help *all* students at school. Teaching yourself is fun! I did it for maths, physics a level (my teachers were amazing, I just went ahead) and I did it for biology in year 9 because my teacher was terrible too. It’s also great practice for university.
Reply 2
Original post by RubyDivina
Whenever I was in this situation at school, I got a bunch of books and watched GCSE videos on YouTube. The syllabus will be online, just go through it and research each topic, making sure you get a firm grasp on the subject and do a lot of practice and exercise questions. Also, try asking another CS teacher. Even though they may not be your assigned tutor, all teachers are (should be) more than happy to help *all* students at school. Teaching yourself is fun! I did it for maths, physics a level (my teachers were amazing, I just went ahead) and I did it for biology in year 9 because my teacher was terrible too. It’s also great practice for university.

I will definitely try your methods of learning... However, there is only 1 Computer Science teacher and thats my current one, as all the other left last year.
I had this issue in my sixth form. There’s only two computer science teacher and both were absolutely crap. And Ik it’s not the teachers fault when students do bad but in this case they had a big part in me getting a grade D. The teachers never knew the answers to most questions and tell you to ask other students
Reply 4
Is this your specification? https://www.ocr.org.uk/images/225975-specification-accredited-gcse-computer-science-j276.pdf

If so, you've got a great starting point for independent study, as it lists all the topics you need to know from page 4.
Original post by AaronSR
I will definitely try your methods of learning... However, there is only 1 Computer Science teacher and thats my current one, as all the other left last year.

How annoying! I’m afraid your last resort will probably have to be getting a tutor outside of school. But if not, you could still get by pretty well through self-teaching!
Reply 6
Original post by R1C3
Is this your specification? https://www.ocr.org.uk/images/225975-specification-accredited-gcse-computer-science-j276.pdf

If so, you've got a great starting point for independent study, as it lists all the topics you need to know from page 4.

Yes it is. Thank you for the pdf. Will start looking through it.
Happened with my a level - a YouTube channel called craigndave creates lots of revision content
Reply 9
Original post by winterscoming
Definitely not a great situation! It sounds like the best you can do for yourself is to try to self teach using the spec posted above and try to keep up. At least there's still a long way to go before you need to worry about any exams.

Try some of these, they should match your syllabus:.

More general CompSci resources which might help you too:

Programming with Python:

Aside from that, just use Google as much as you can to dig into the topics you're studying in more depth.

Thanks a million!
Reply 10
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
Happened with my a level - a YouTube channel called craigndave creates lots of revision content

I’ll be sure to check this out.

Quick Reply

Latest