The Student Room Group

Homeschooling / self studying A levels!

Hi, I started homeschooling for a levels using an online college last october and i am currently in my second and last year. I am curious to see if there is anybody else within the UK that has chosen to study them at home and then sit them as an external candidate.

Also if anybody would like to start homeschooling for college i am more than happy to share advice and help you! It would be nice to find others who are going through the same journey as myself as there is not a lot of us! Also if you are homeschooling, which subjects do you take!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by tiaindie16
Hi, I started homeschooling for a levels using an online college last october and i am currently in my second and last year. I am curious to see if there is anybody else within the UK that has chosen to study them at home and then sit them as an external candidate.

Also if anybody would like to start homeschooling for college i am more than happy to share advice and help you! It would be nice to find others who are going through the same journey as myself as there is not a lot of us! Also if you are homeschooling, which subjects do you take!?

Luckily I feel like doing this!

I want to do Edexcel Maths and Physics, with AQA Chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by Mad Man
Luckily I feel like doing this!

I want to do Edexcel Maths and Physics, with AQA Chemistry.

hey! sounds amazing. I currently do law, psychology and business studies. I study with Wolsey Hall Oxford homeschooling college and they are super supportive without being overbearing if you know what i mean. It is nice to be able to learn the way you want but still have that support from teachers and tutors when needed. Have you done Gcse's or started a college?
Reply 3
Its a pleasure to find you.I also do self studying for A level Chemistry (A2),Biology Aqa (AS)..And maths with a private tutor..Chemistry is really fun and there is plenty of stuff online to study from.......I personally like To study my way without being restricted to a college or a school...And use made youtube my best friend whenever I Get stuck.....I achieved 97% in Aqa As chemistry with self studying only,,its a matter if doing loads of past papers and making comprehensive notes...If u can advice something.I would appreciate to adopt some of your tips too.Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Sp1833
Its a pleasure to find you.I also do self studying for A level Chemistry (A2),Biology Aqa (AS)..And maths with a private tutor..Chemistry is really fun and there is plenty of stuff online to study from.......I personally like To study my way without being restricted to a college or a school...And use made youtube my best friend whenever I Get stuck.....I achieved 97% in Aqa As chemistry with self studying only,,its a matter if doing loads of past papers and making comprehensive notes...If u can advice something.I would appreciate to adopt some of your tips too.Thanks

Hi! Wow that is super impressive... I completely agree about learning without restrictions. I did start a public college but the learning environment was not right me for me to achieve my best so i made the choice to leave and start online college. Obviously it is different depending on the situation and subjects you take but I definitely think a combination of making comprehensive notes about the content by splitting each topic up and using a range of revision methods such as typing the longest notes and then breaking the smaller sections into a mind map or something works best for me! As I learn from home in the same environment constantly, alternating between revision methods keeps me motivated otherwise it all becomes a bit similar. Apart from actually learning the content definitely regular testing helps even if it is a few exam questions a week to get used to the technique. I also swear by my syllabus for each subject as It lets you know more specifically what examiners will want to see in the answers you give!

hi tlaindle16. I am also doing A levels on an online course and am also in my second year! I have been hoping to meet someone who is also doing it! I am doing Maths, history and French with Oxford Open learning. What courses are you doing/ Have you always homeschooled?
Reply 6
i’m in my second year of self studying too :smile:) studying politics, sociology, philosophy
Reply 7
Original post by runningstudent

hi tlaindle16. I am also doing A levels on an online course and am also in my second year! I have been hoping to meet someone who is also doing it! I am doing Maths, history and French with Oxford Open learning. What courses are you doing/ Have you always homeschooled?

Hi! It is nice to know that there are others as sometimes it does feel like you are somewhat isolated when you cannot relate to others learning experiences! I had a normal public education up until a levels. I decided it was best for me to study a levels online without dealing with another classroom environment that would hold distractions. I study law, psychology and business with Wolsey Hall Oxford College! Are you based in the Uk and if so where abouts! It is really cool to see there are quite a few other people on the same journey.
Reply 8
Original post by htmr
i’m in my second year of self studying too :smile:) studying politics, sociology, philosophy

hey! That's really cool how are you finding them! Where are you based from?!
Hi! It is nice to know that there are others as sometimes it does feel like you are somewhat isolated when you cannot relate to others learning experiences! I had a normal public education up until a levels. I decided it was best for me to study a levels online without dealing with another classroom environment that would hold distractions. I study law, psychology and business with Wolsey Hall Oxford College! Are you based in the Uk and if so where abouts! It is really cool to see there are quite a few other people on the same journey.

yeah I know what you mean about knowing people who are doing the same thing! I have heard about Wolsey Hall Ox ford! I went with Oxford open learning! yes I am based near Lancaster (don't know if you know Lancaster!). Where are you based? Yeah I have been trying to meet some people doing the same journey!
Reply 10
Hi! Wow that is super impressive... I completely agree about learning without restrictions. I did start a public college but the learning environment was not right me for me to achieve my best so i made the choice to leave and start online college. Obviously it is different depending on the situation and subjects you take but I definitely think a combination of making comprehensive notes about the content by splitting each topic up and using a range of revision methods such as typing the longest notes and then breaking the smaller sections into a mind map or something works best for me! As I learn from home in the same environment constantly, alternating between revision methods keeps me motivated otherwise it all becomes a bit similar. Apart from actually learning the content definitely regular testing helps even if it is a few exam questions a week to get used to the technique. I also swear by my syllabus for each subject as It lets you know more specifically what examiners will want to see in the answers you give

Thanks a lot for advices....What subjects u doing?any uni plans?

yeah I know what you mean about knowing people who are doing the same thing! I have heard about Wolsey Hall Ox ford! I went with Oxford open learning! yes I am based near Lancaster (don't know if you know Lancaster!). Where are you based? Yeah I have been trying to meet some people doing the same journey!

There are a handful of the online colleges that are really good I definitely did look at Oxford open learning as well! I actually do know where that is yeah it is really far from me I am more near Brighton so really down south compared to you but I have a friend that lives near blackpool so i have been up north near there i think! Do you have twitter or anything, it would be cool to have someone to talk to going through the same thing if you are interested haha!!
Original post by Sp1833
Thanks a lot for advices....What subjects u doing?any uni plans?

That is no problem! i do law, psychology and business studies and i plan to study psychology at university but still making up my mind about where i want to go! so many choices to make haha what about yourself?
There are a handful of the online colleges that are really good I definitely did look at Oxford open learning as well! I actually do know where that is yeah it is really far from me I am more near Brighton so really down south compared to you but I have a friend that lives near blackpool so i have been up north near there i think! Do you have twitter or anything, it would be cool to have someone to talk to going through the same thing if you are interested haha!!

Oh wow yes very opposite places! I did have a twitter but it locked me out of my account lol. I have an Instagram if that is any good!

might have a twitter account if I can sign in to it lol
Reply 15
Oh wow yes very opposite places! I did have a twitter but it locked me out of my account lol. I have an Instagram if that is any good!

How many hours u spend?

Original post by Sp1833
How many hours u spend?

on revising? I currently have a three week rotation plan so i do 16 hours of studying the first week, 13 the second and 15 in the last. I break this up so that i spend on average five hours on each subject a week and roughly three hours studying a day. This will increase when it gets closer to exams in may next year but this currently works for me as i can work part time and spend time doing other things and not become overwhelmed :smile:
Reply 17
hey! That's really cool how are you finding them! Where are you based from?!

really glad i started doing them online! i find doing it all independently has been a lot better for me than being in a classroom and being on a strict schedule etc. i also like knowing that i’m in control of my learning haha. im based in london, wbu?
Original post by htmr
really glad i started doing them online! i find doing it all independently has been a lot better for me than being in a classroom and being on a strict schedule etc. i also like knowing that i’m in control of my learning haha. im based in london, wbu?

yeah its a lot less strict i agree haha i really enjoy it. I am near london in brighton!
Reply 19
yeah its a lot less strict i agree haha i really enjoy it. I am near london in brighton!

ah that’s so near!! do you plan on going to uni after?

Quick Reply

Latest