The Student Room Group

My Boyfriend And I Are Opposites - AMA :)

Hi there,

No trolls please 😅

My boyfriend and I are dissimilar in quite a few areas, such as politically, religiously, and personality wise.

I’m just a little bored so AMA :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is my first AMA so I’ll look forward to hearing from you :smile:
Interesting. Your relationship still works ok?
Reply 3
Original post by Antonia1999
Interesting. Your relationship still works ok?

I’d say so! It allows for us to have really meaningful conversations, and stimulating conversations is important to us both. We don’t get heated about our differences which is the main thing :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

No trolls please 😅

My boyfriend and I are dissimilar in quite a few areas, such as politically, religiously, and personality wise.

I’m just a little bored so AMA :smile:

What religions are you both? And does that effect your relationship in any way?
[ltr]How do you get on with him if he’s the opposite it to you in politics? Your views on everything would be different.[/ltr]
Reply 6
i can sorta relate. e.g. in my relationship we have different views on polyamory and drugs, i'm vegetarian and he's not, he's more 'family' oriented, very different personalities. it gets on my nerves sometimes tbh. do you guys fight a lot too?
Reply 7
What religions are you both? And does that effect your relationship in any way?

I’m Christian, he does not follow any religion.

It was a bit nerve wracking to start with, but he’s very open minded so it’s not caused issues. Of anything it’s jusy encouraged proper communication- ‘is this okay with you’ and ‘what do you think of __’ are very valuable questions to ask :smile:
Is the sex amazing asf???
Reply 9
Original post by GreenBell
[ltr]How do you get on with him if he’s the opposite it to you in politics? Your views on everything would be different.[/ltr]

They’re not entirely definitely and always different, but there are a few differences. I’m remain and he’s leave, for example. He’s against taxation and I support it. I think spoiling your ballot is valid if you dislike all choices, he thinks it’s a waste.

These differences only come up in debate, but we are already aware of our differences lol, so neither of us get offended or whatever
Original post by Ciel.
i can sorta relate. e.g. in my relationship we have different views on polyamory and drugs, i'm vegetarian and he's not, he's more 'family' oriented, very different personalities. it gets on my nerves sometimes tbh. do you guys fight a lot too?

We don’t really fight. Similarly I’m vegetarian and he’s not, but he enjoys vegetarian options too lol. However we have the same views on polyamory (for some, not for us) and drugs (no). We don’t live together or anything though so perhaps that’s why?
Reply 11
We don’t really fight. Similarly I’m vegetarian and he’s not, but he enjoys vegetarian options too lol. However we have the same views on polyamory (for some, not for us) and drugs (no). We don’t live together or anything though so perhaps that’s why?

yeah, lol, possibly. we do.
Is the sex amazing asf???

Hahaha, I’m Christian so can’t comment lol.
Original post by Ciel.
yeah, lol, possibly. we do.

I suppose the more time you spend someone the more chance you have to fight I guess? I hope everything works out for you though!
Reply 14
I suppose the more time you spend someone the more chance you have to fight I guess? I hope everything works out for you though!

haha, maybe. our relationship is pretty intense but we are good, lol
Hahaha, I’m Christian so can’t comment lol.

So you aren't living together?

And you haven't had sex?

So he's not your "boyfriend" in some senses of the word?
In my family somoene only becomes a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" when you are having sex with them. Different people have different definitions of these words.

He's only your boyfriend as far as you are close platonic friends with the intention that at some point you might get married?

Or is it that you've had sex with him, but don't want to talk about it on a public forum?

How compatible are you in:
the number of children that you desire
your basic philosophies in raising children
how you resolve conflict
Your attutudes to money and finances. Earning it. Spending it. Saving it.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
So you aren't living together?

And you haven't had sex?

So he's not your "boyfriend" in some senses of the word?
In my family somoene only becomes a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" when you are having sex with them. Different people have different definitions of these words.

He's only your boyfriend as far as you are close platonic friends with the intention that at some point you might get married?

Or is it that you've had sex with him, but don't want to talk about it on a public forum?

How compatible are you in:
the number of children that you desire
your basic philosophies in raising children
how you resolve conflict
Your attutudes to money and finances. Earning it. Spending it. Saving it.

He is my boyfriend in the sense that we are in an exclusive romantic relationship. We’re looking to live together next year but we haven’t had sex, no.

We’ve both agreed max one child but we both want to be fully ready and prepared before then, so it could potentially be none. I lean towards none, but we’re still young and at the moment this is not a concern. Evidently if we change our minds we will need to decide what to do.
We seem to have similar ideas of how to raise children? Less technology, lots of personal interaction, no physical punishment etc, if that’s what you mean.
Conflicts need to be spoken through and understood.
We both want to earn large amounts of money. I save slightly more than he does.
He is my boyfriend in the sense that we are in an exclusive romantic relationship. We’re looking to live together next year but we haven’t had sex, no.

We’ve both agreed max one child but we both want to be fully ready and prepared before then, so it could potentially be none. I lean towards none, but we’re still young and at the moment this is not a concern. Evidently if we change our minds we will need to decide what to do.
We seem to have similar ideas of how to raise children? Less technology, lots of personal interaction, no physical punishment etc, if that’s what you mean.
Conflicts need to be spoken through and understood.
We both want to earn large amounts of money. I save slightly more than he does.

That's great!

So, on the important relationship-breaking things in life, the 2 of you are pleasantly compatible.
The sex. It remains to be seen. Hopefully you'll be compatible with that. But there's a chance that you won't.

All the areas that you are incompatible in are rather unimportant in terms of how happy you will be in the long term as a couple.
Brexit, what you like to eat, the church that you like to go to, favourite music, clothes, TV programmes, films, books.
Because there are simple enough work-arounds that you can use for these. Get a 2nd TV, have a spare study room in your home, give each other space on Sunday morning, agree to disagre on Brexit, eat 4 of the 6 things available to eat with any meal etc etc etc
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
That's great!

So, on the important relationship-breaking things in life, the 2 of you are pleasantly compatible.
The sex. It remains to be seen. Hopefully you'll be compatible with that. But there's a chance that you won't.

All the areas that you are incompatible in are rather unimportant in terms of how happy you will be in the long term as a couple.
Brexit, what you like to eat, the church that you like to go to, favourite music, clothes, TV programmes, films, books.
Because there are simple enough work-arounds that you can use for these. Get a 2nd TV, have a spare study room in your home, give each other space on Sunday morning, agree to disagre on Brexit, eat 4 of the 6 things available to eat with any meal etc etc etc

Thank you, yeah we’re pretty happy as is :smile:
Trying to bump <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending