The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A-level grades?
ABB (Bio, Chem, Maths)

Which subjects you're resitting ?
Maths & Chemistry

UCAT preparation / scores ?
722.5 Band 2, Medify for 4 weeks

How are you going about with sorting your personal statement, reference and predicted grades?
Kept most of my PS the same. Added a small paragraph about what I plan to do on my year out. Reference & predicted grades are being kindly sorted out my my old school.

Where you will be applying?
Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton for Medicine. Birmingham for Biomedical Science.

Will you be applying through UCAS independently or with your school?
Through school

General plans for the year?
Working to earn money, REVISING (ugh), volunteering/teaching abroad, gaining more work experience.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by not_XIX_forever
A-level grades?
ABB (Bio, Chem, Maths)

Maths & Chemistry

722.5 Band 2, Medify for 4 weeks

How are you going about with sorting your personal statement, reference and predicted grades?
Kept most of my PS the same. Added a small paragraph about what I plan to do on my year out. Reference & predicted grades are being kindly sorted out my my old school.

Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton for Medicine. Birmingham for Biomedical Science.

Working to earn money, REVISING (ugh), volunteering/teaching abroad, gaining more work experience.

Thanks for the reply - it's good to see that I'm not alone :smile:

Amazing UCAT score btw - were the scores you were getting in your Medify Mocks consistent i.e gradually increasing - and were your results similar to the results of your actual exam? (mine are just all over the place lol)
Also were the VR passages in the actual exam rly long?
Original post by Studio ghibli
Thanks for the reply - it's good to see that I'm not alone :smile:

Amazing UCAT score btw - were the scores you were getting in your Medify Mocks consistent i.e gradually increasing - and were your results similar to the results of your actual exam? (mine are just all over the place lol)
Also were the VR passages in the actual exam rly long?

Medify mock 1: 660 Band 1
Medify mock 2: 730 Band 1
Medify mock 3: 690 Band 1
Medify mock 4: 760 Band 1
Medify mock 5: 720 Band 1
Medify mock 6: 655 Band 2

Medify overall overage: 702.5 Band 1
Actual: 722.5 Band 2

VR is harder than Medify- use official resources. I had 3 T/F/can't tell. Passages were about the same length as medify but it was harder to extract information/you had to look in quite a few places to infer.
DM is very similar to official resources.
QR is easier than Medify in real thing
AR is similar/slightly easier than Medify in real thing

Where are you applying to? And what were your A level grades?
Also when is your UCAT?

VR is harder than Medify- use official resources. I had 3 T/F/can't tell. Passages were about the same length as medify but it was harder to extract information/you had to look in quite a few places to infer.

Also when is your UCAT?

I got BBC (chem, bio, maths) so my uni options are now wayyyy more limited, compared to ppl who have eg ABB, BBB. I am dropping maths and doing psychology in one year along with chem and bio. Planning on applying to sheffield, bristol, exeter and maybe KCL ( all of these universities prefer a high UCAT score - so I'm worried I might not get any interviews).
My UCAT is at the end of this month
Also for medify how did u find ur DM score to calculate your avg when it's given in a range?
A-level grades ?
AAB
Maths
2550 (637 average-Band 1)
school's doing references for me. Math teacher will predict me an A
Leicester, Aston, Nottingham(Derby pathway), and Nottingham (Lincoln pathway)
Will you be applying through UCAS independently or with your school?
Applying independently

Volunteering and work experience abroad. And resitting maths:frown:
Reply 6
I got BBC (chem, bio, maths) so my uni options are now wayyyy more limited, compared to ppl who have eg ABB, BBB. I am dropping maths and doing psychology in one year along with chem and bio. Planning on applying to sheffield, bristol, exeter and maybe KCL ( all of these universities prefer a high UCAT score - so I'm worried I might not get any interviews).
My UCAT is at the end of this month
Also for medify how did u find ur DM score to calculate your avg when it's given in a range?

Use the medic blog online converter for DM. It's honestly closest to the real thing as it takes into account partially correct answers. Gave my UCAT this gap yr for the srcond time and found it so helpful
Hi,
So I am debating between biomedicine and taking a year out to resit. I would have to resit all 3 exams if I want to apply for medicine next year.
One of the universities that I applied to last year said that they would keep my offer for next year but I would still have to resit all 3 subjects. I am not very good when it comes to taking exams and I am scared that doing all 3 subjects again might be quite hard. However, there is no guarantee that after doing 3 years of biomedicine that I will get in through GEM. I am so confused!!
Original post by A_J_B
Use the medic blog online converter for DM. It's honestly closest to the real thing as it takes into account partially correct answers. Gave my UCAT this gap yr for the srcond time and found it so helpful

I second this!
Original post by A_J_B

I've tried it but on medify it says I got 700-800 and when I use the medic blog it says I have 640

Also when is your UCAT?

For VR what type of passages came up? Were there any medical/science based passages like in medify? For DM were there any hard association questions?
Original post by AlevelReject68
For VR what type of passages came up? Were there any medical/science based passages like in medify? For DM were there any hard association questions?

There was 1 scientific passage if I remember correctly.
They were about the same length and spread of topics as Medify.
A little harder than medify though. Use the official resources.

DM was very similar to official resources. Some Yes/No questions were hard but no harder than the official resources.
There were 2 nasty venn diagrams, but i guessed those.

DM was very similar to official resources. Some Yes/No questions were hard but no harder than the official resources.
There were!2 nasty venn diagrams, but i guessed those.

Alright will do! I thought venn diagram questions are easy tho
Reply 13
Heyy how's everyone doingg, I'm gonna resit and re-apply to dentistry :smile:

There were 2 nasty venn diagrams, but i guessed those.

Was VR harder or easier than the official resources? and how do you manage your time during the VR section?
Original post by topazz
Heyy how's everyone doingg, I'm gonna resit and re-apply to dentistry :smile:

heya!

what grades did u get and have u done the UCAT yet?
Reply 16
heya!

what grades did u get and have u done the UCAT yet?

My ucats next week, and got bbc loool
Was VR harder or easier than the official resources? and how do you manage your time during the VR section?

VR wasn't harder than official resources, just quite similar.
I always skip to do T/F/Can't tell first, then come back to the statment questions, but I only had 3 T/F/cant tell questions.
I generally guess passages about philosophy/complex historical events because I know i'm not very good at them (from practise), and then focus on the others. I read the question first & then skim the passage.
It doesn't matter if you can't do all the questions, just try and be really accurate with the ones you do spend time on. Your other sections will probably pull your score up :smile:
VR wasn't harder than official resources, just quite similar.
I always skip to do T/F/Can't tell first, then come back to the statment questions, but I only had 3 T/F/cant tell questions.
I generally guess passages about philosophy/complex historical events because I know i'm not very good at them (from practise), and then focus on the others. I read the question first & then skim the passage.
It doesn't matter if you can't do all the questions, just try and be really accurate with the ones you do spend time on. Your other sections will probably pull your score up :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:

QR is my worst section - any tips?
Original post by topazz
My ucats next week, and got bbc loool

same here...which unis are u applying to?

Latest

Trending

Trending