Eleanor206
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What's the best Cambridge college for History and politics students(or history students in general)?
In terms of maybe:
distance from lecture halls and libraries,
teaching quality/academic reputation,
food quality (taste and price)
accommodation quality
college atmosphere (how true is that more prestigious colleges tend to be less welcoming?)
facilities (Gym, laundry, kitchen... )
and views?

I have looked through the College Guide so have a bit understanding of some basic information. However, some comments tend to be overly general and I cannot find any information specifically regarding the learning and teaching of history and politics as well (which might be the most important things for me). So your personal opinion is really valued and appreciated! Thank you for your help!
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Eleanor206)
What's the best Cambridge college for History and politics students(or history students in general)?
In terms of maybe:
accommodation quality
college atmosphere (how true is that more prestigious colleges tend to be less welcoming?)
and views?

I have looked through the College Guide so have a bit understanding of some basic information. However, some comments tend to be overly general and I cannot find any information specifically regarding the learning and teaching of history and politics as well (which might be the most important things for me). So your personal opinion is really valued and appreciated! Thank you for your help!
I dont understand what you mean by the “learning and teaching of history and politics”. Teaching is centralised in Departments and it does not matter which College you are in. The main differences lie in the living arrangement and College life.

You have very specific interests, so I’d suggest that you try to visit during an open day or whenever, if you can. I’d advise you to choose a ‘medium’ sized college because some people don't like large or small College. My suggested Colleges, based on your list, would be Clare, Selwyn and St Johns.

One important point to note is that the older and larger colleges, like Trinity, Kings, Jesus and St Johns, tend to be richer. So you would have the opportunities to have access to the amenities that you mentioned in your post.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In terms of maybe:
accommodation quality
and views?

As far as the teaching goes, it's only going to impact your tutor. You could look through the depart. list and see who you think have interesting research and then check which college and role they have.

I'll be honest, this is an unusual question from a historian as usually they are very drawn into a college's specific history and its relationship to their own interests. Surely you must be intrigued by being able to attend the college where Cromwell's head is buried, or where the Great Court Run has been beaten, or where Pepys diary is held?
Eleanor206
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I dont understand what you mean by the “learning and teaching of history and politics”. Teaching is centralised in Departments and it does not matter which College you are in. The main differences lie in the living arrangement and College life.

You have very specific interests, so I’d suggest that you try to visit during an open day or whenever, if you can. I’d advise you to choose a ‘medium’ sized college because some people don't like large or small College. My suggested Colleges, based on your list, would be Clare, Selwyn and St Johns.

One important point to note is that the older and larger colleges, like Trinity, Kings, Jesus and St Johns, tend to be richer. So you would have the opportunities to have access to the amenities that you mentioned in your post.
Thank you very much for your suggestions! As for 'teaching and learning of history' I was trying to ask about the supervisions haha. Honestly, I wanted to apply to Cambridge primarily because of the supervision systems, while some seniors said that the teaching qualities may vary.
Would it be fair to look at the number of supervisors ( for this course) and student composition (how many arts students admitted as compared to science students)to estimate the quality and learning experience of different courses in the college? For eg, it seems that traditionally Trinity tends to be very popular with science students? Therefore I wonder whether is there a college that is very well known for history ( or generally humanities).
What do you think of King's (facilities, atmosphere, and etc)? King's politics seems very exciting hahaha
Eleanor206
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
As far as the teaching goes, it's only going to impact your tutor. You could look through the depart. list and see who you think have interesting research and then check which college and role they have.

I'll be honest, this is an unusual question from a historian as usually they are very drawn into a college's specific history and its relationship to their own interests. Surely you must be intrigued by being able to attend the college where Cromwell's head is buried, or where the Great Court Run has been beaten, or where Pepys diary is held?
Thank you for your reply! Honestly, there isn't a site in Cambridge that is so outstandingly intriguing to me because of its historical significance so (๑*◡*๑)
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you very much for your suggestions! As for 'teaching and learning of history' I was trying to ask about the supervisions haha. Honestly, I wanted to apply to Cambridge primarily because of the supervision systems, while some seniors said that the teaching qualities may vary.
Would it be fair to look at the number of supervisors ( for this course) and student composition (how many arts students admitted as compared to science students)to estimate the quality and learning experience of different courses in the college? For eg, it seems that traditionally Trinity tends to be very popular with science students? Therefore I wonder whether is there a college that is very well known for history ( or generally humanities).
What do you think of King's (facilities, atmosphere, and etc)? King's politics seems very exciting hahaha
Yes, Trinity has the rep for STEM subjects but it does not mean that they don't admit other students.

It is a fair desire to want Cambridge based on the supervision system. Like 2500_2 wrote, you can go through the History departments website and see which College the Tutors that you are interested in are based. Just be careful that many students tend to move around for supervisions and you may not be given that Tutor for several reasons.

You seem to be making the subtle claim that supervisions at a particular College may be better than another College. I honestly don't believe that is the case, as there would be a significant threat to the educational quality of the whole system, if there are gaps in quality.

My advice is to not be overly focused on supervisions or quality of Tutors, but about living conditions and what kind of College culture you prefer. Colleges are different with unique cultures and values, so you should focus on those attributes IMHO.

Kings has a really good culture and is well-known. Their perceived culture is liberal, relaxed and a bit left-wing. They shunned some of the stuffy Cambridge elements and have a progressive culture. Loads of state schoolers seem to like it. King’s Affair is good fun as well.

I still maintain that you should have a look at Clare, Selwyn, St Johns and maybe Kings. Good luck.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 1 year ago
Eleanor206
Rep:
?
Yes, Trinity has the rep for STEM subjects but it does not mean that they don't admit other students.

It is a fair desire to want Cambridge based on the supervision system. Like 2500_2 wrote, you can go through the History departments website and see which College the Tutors that you are interested in are based. Just be careful that many students tend to move around for supervisions and you may not be given that Tutor for several reasons.

You seem to be making the subtle claim that supervisions at a particular College may be better than another College. I honestly don't believe that is the case, as there would be a significant threat to the educational quality of the whole system, if there are gaps in quality.

My advice is to not be overly focused on supervisions or quality of Tutors, but about living conditions and what kind of College culture you prefer. Colleges are different with unique cultures and values, so you should focus on those attributes IMHO.

Kings has a really good culture and is well-known. Their perceived culture is liberal, relaxed and a bit left-wing. They shunned some of the stuffy Cambridge elements and have a progressive culture. Loads of state schoolers seem to like it. King’s Affair is good fun as well.

I still maintain that you should have a look at Clare, Selwyn, St Johns and maybe Kings. Good luck.
This is really helpful!!! (Based on what I am told, previously I do assume that the quality of teaching may differ and I am really grateful that this doubt is cleared!) Thank you sooo much and I will definitely check these colleges out!
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is really helpful!!! (Based on what I am told, previously I do assume that the quality of teaching may differ and I am really grateful that this doubt is cleared!) Thank you sooo much and I will definitely check these colleges out!
You are welcome and I hope it goes well. Remember that it is Cambridge and you will be fine whichever College you end up.

The key is to focus on getting in first, then worry about the other elements. All the best.
Eleanor206
Rep:
?
You are welcome and I hope it goes well. Remember that it is Cambridge and you will be fine whichever College you end up.

The key is to focus on getting in first, then worry about the other elements. All the best.
Hahahaha Yeah actually Wanna have some extra inspiration to work hard haha
Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.08%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.15%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads