The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweetietweetie
hi guys, please could anyone answer my questions if you know?

if you are resitting an a level do you think you can add the others ones to the main score of GCSEs?
also, does anyone what the cut off has been for the last three years for the academic requirements?

cardiff require 8A*s and an A, their cu off score is 26/27, they score A*/8/9 as 3 points, A 2 points and B 1 point, i dont know about the resat a- levels tho
Reply 21
hi guys, please could anyone answer my questions if you know?

if you are resitting an a level do you think you can add the others ones to the main score of GCSEs?
also, does anyone what the cut off has been for the last three years for the academic requirements?

Cardiff do not accept resit applicants, so no
Original post by hesherif
cardiff require 8A*s and an A, their cu off score is 26/27, they score A*/8/9 as 3 points, A 2 points and B 1 point, i dont know about the resat a- levels tho

what you should have said was Cardiff's cut off for 2018 (the most recent one we know) was 26/27 (so 8A*s and 1A equivalent). we have no idea what it was last year or what it will be this year, so they don't require a minimum of 8A*s and 1A at all, that it just where the cut off has been due to competition in recent years.

Cardiff do not normally accept resits, but they do consider extenuating circumstances and if these apply to resits then it may be worth talking to admissions.
Original post by GANFYD
Cardiff do not accept resit applicants, so no

they do if you have extenuating circumstances which i do, so yes
Original post by hesherif

was that for 2019 entry? or have they stated that for 2020 entry do you know by any chance please?
Original post by Mutmit287
what you should have said was Cardiff's cut off for 2018 (the most recent one we know) was 26/27 (so 8A*s and 1A equivalent). we have no idea what it was last year or what it will be this year, so they don't require a minimum of 8A*s and 1A at all, that it just where the cut off has been due to competition in recent years.

Cardiff do not normally accept resits, but they do consider extenuating circumstances and if these apply to resits then it may be worth talking to admissions.

thank you for your response, appreciate it! so 26/27 for 2018 entry, but 2019 entry is unknown as well as 2020 am i right?
i have double checked with them, thank you x
Reply 26
they do if you have extenuating circumstances which i do, so yes

You would need to ask them, then, as it is a very individual situation

was that for 2019 entry? or have they stated that for 2020 entry do you know by any chance please?

Their 2020 info is even more generic than it has been other years!
Reply 27
thank you for your response, appreciate it! so 26/27 for 2018 entry, but 2019 entry is unknown as well as 2020 am i right?
i have double checked with them, thank you x

2019 is unknown, but even Cardiff do not know what it will be for 2020 as it depends on the cohort applying

that was for 2018 entry (so before the new GCSEs in England which may have an impact on the score).

we don't know last year's, and because the cut off is determined after people apply based on the competition we won't know this year's in advance.

for example if 3000 apply to Cardiff this year, and they choose to interview 1500, they would pick the top 1500 students in terms of GCSE grades, and the cut off would lie with the student within that group who has the lowest score /27.
okay thank you guys for all your help really appreciate it! gonna go stalk last year's thread so see a general consensus
Much chance with four 9s, two 8s, 7, 5, and an A*?
Hi, can someone please advise me whether it would be possible to get an interview if I was to apply as a gap year student at GCSEs I got 9888777776 A*(in R.S) A*(Further maths)
at A-Level I am hoping to achieve A*A*A
if I achieve those grades could I get an interview the next year-round because my scores this year add up 23 out of 27 which I know is very low due to cut off but I really liked it?
Reply 32
Original post by Elissamoor123
Hi, can someone please advise me whether it would be possible to get an interview if I was to apply as a gap year student at GCSEs I got 9888777776 A*(in R.S) A*(Further maths)
at A-Level I am hoping to achieve A*A*A
if I achieve those grades could I get an interview the next year-round because my scores this year add up 23 out of 27 which I know is very low due to cut off but I really liked it?

Currently, if you apply with achieved grades, then points are added toy your GCSE score for achieved results (A* = 3 and A = 2) so you would be a competitive applicant next year
Original post by GANFYD
Currently, if you apply with achieved grades, then points are added toy your GCSE score for achieved results (A* = 3 and A = 2) so you would be a competitive applicant next year

Ah thank you so much, it just a bit weird tho how they would add it to my GCSE score...
Do u know if they consider Gap Year students differently tho or is it the same for everyone
Reply 34
Original post by Elissamoor123
Ah thank you so much, it just a bit weird tho how they would add it to my GCSE score...
Do u know if they consider Gap Year students differently tho or is it the same for everyone

This only applies to achieved A levels (gap year students), not predicted
Reply 35
So I've calculated and I have 25/27 points for gcses and my UCAT is 2680. Do you think I should bother at all with Cardiff, I reallyyyy like it but do I stand a chance?
Original post by MinaJav
So I've calculated and I have 25/27 points for gcses and my UCAT is 2680. Do you think I should bother at all with Cardiff, I reallyyyy like it but do I stand a chance?

I'm not sure, u could always try if u really really like it, but I heard the cut off last year was 26/27 for GCSE score and they don't even consider ur ucat unless for tiebreaker between two students
Hi
I’ve seen on other threads that Cardiff don’t consider 8s as A* and you get 3 points for a 9/A* 2 points for 8/7/A and 1 point for a 6/B. Is this right or is it 3 points for 9/8 /A* 2 points for A/7 and 1 for 6/B?
no its 3 points for 8 and 9s they changed it this year
Thinking of applying Cardiff, have a bad ucat score of 577.5 band 2 so wondering how they use the ucat

Latest