The Student Room Group

Retaking A-levels after missing Oxford E&M offer

Some context: Sat A-levels last year, did Maths, Economics and Further Maths was predicted A*A*A* but got ABC and A* in EPQ. Wasn't expecting it AT ALL. I was really shocked and upset. Looking back I did have the extenuating circumstances of bereavement and few teaching issues in one of my subjects as they changed the exam board near the end of the course and didn't finish teaching the course until a day or two before the exams.

I had offers from: Oxford, LSE, UCL, Bath and Sussex for Economics (E&M at Oxford).

Now I'm retaking A-levels and Physics also since I did that for year 12. I'm dead sure I can do much better and really want to get into a top top uni!

Where I'm considering applying this year: Oxford, LSE, St Andrews, ULC, Southampton.

Any advice on how to stand out as a retaker? And how to mentally approach this year as I often feel down realising what an opportunity I missed?
Original post by I like bread
Some context: Sat A-levels last year, did Maths, Economics and Further Maths was predicted A*A*A* but got ABC and A* in EPQ. Wasn't expecting it AT ALL. I was really shocked and upset. Looking back I did have the extenuating circumstances of bereavement and few teaching issues in one of my subjects as they changed the exam board near the end of the course and didn't finish teaching the course until a day or two before the exams.

I had offers from: Oxford, LSE, UCL, Bath and Sussex for Economics (E&M at Oxford).

Now I'm retaking A-levels and Physics also since I did that for year 12. I'm dead sure I can do much better and really want to get into a top top uni!

Where I'm considering applying this year: Oxford, LSE, St Andrews, ULC, Southampton.

Any advice on how to stand out as a retaker? And how to mentally approach this year as I often feel down realising what an opportunity I missed?

It is going to be really, REALLY tough to get into Oxford as a retake student. You should have contacted Ox around the time of the affected exams, but no-one ever mentions about this so it is a shame :redface:

The best shout I can give is to reapply and follow the advice on this page. I wish that I could come with better news but I wish you luck! You can do it :hugs:
Original post by barror1
It is going to be really, REALLY tough to get into Oxford as a retake student. You should have contacted Ox around the time of the affected exams, but no-one ever mentions about this so it is a shame :redface:

The best shout I can give is to reapply and follow the advice on this page. I wish that I could come with better news but I wish you luck! You can do it :hugs:

Yeah it's weird no one really says that. Anyway thanks for the link. :smile:
have you contacted oxford to see what they say? are you still going for it?
Original post by sweetietweetie
have you contacted oxford to see what they say? are you still going for it?

I contacted them on results day and over the next couple of weeks after that. I didn’t get anything though. So I’m just applying again as if I’m a new applicant.
I contacted them on results day and over the next couple of weeks after that. I didn’t get anything though. So I’m just applying again as if I’m a new applicant.

oh okay, well best of luck! im doing the same, albeit Cambridge, so you're not alone!

Hey i hope all goes well with you and if you need any help with A levels give me a shout. I was wondering if you had advice on the TSA and scoring really well there -im assuming as an E&M offer holder you did pretty well there. And what interview questions did you have as well, if you don't mind me asking
Original post by 4Dasquaw
Hey i hope all goes well with you and if you need any help with A levels give me a shout. I was wondering if you had advice on the TSA and scoring really well there -im assuming as an E&M offer holder you did pretty well there. And what interview questions did you have as well, if you don't mind me asking

I'll DM you.
Hey, I saw you were successful in reapplying to Oxford in another post I think. I am, unfortunately, in the exact position you were in last year, albeit for a different course. Do you have happen to have any advice? Also, did your interviewers ask about what you did on your gap year?
Also just curious… does your name start with an F by chance? just ignore this if you don’t wanna answer that lol but I think I might know you from Instagram haha
Original post by puislanuit
Hey, I saw you were successful in reapplying to Oxford in another post I think. I am, unfortunately, in the exact position you were in last year, albeit for a different course. Do you have happen to have any advice? Also, did your interviewers ask about what you did on your gap year?

DM’d you.
DM’d you.

me too pIs! hows oxford btw!

Hi, would I’ve able to contact you, I’ve gone through the same thing this year :smile:
Hey, pls cld u PM me as well. I rlly wld love to ask u a few qs if u dont mind :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending