The Student Room Group

how do i beat my sister in an argument?

she is always the one starting the argument over such tiny things. she gets on my nerves so much that i get too angry and cant think of any good comebacks and just look pathetic because i have crappy counter arguments. what can i do so that i can start winning arguments with her because this has to stop

Scroll to see replies

Beat that b*tch up.

(Jk 👀👀 maybe)
Reply 2
Original post by OR321
Beat that b*tch up.

(Jk 👀👀 maybe)

ngl, i feel like doing this sometimes but all that would prove is that im so stupid that i have to resort to violence because i got nothin else
Reply 3
Original post by lewis6969
she is always the one starting the argument over such tiny things. she gets on my nerves so much that i get too angry and cant think of any good comebacks and just look pathetic because i have crappy counter arguments. what can i do so that i can start winning arguments with her because this has to stop

After everything she says reply with, "I am rubber you are glue.". That should work.
Don't engage her.
ngl, i feel like doing this sometimes but all that would prove is that im so stupid that i have to resort to violence because i got nothin else

Yeah I get that. Fortunately I’ve never had proper family issues so I’m not sure what to say. Maybe just walk out of the room when she starts throwing a b*tch fit. Can I ask how old she is?
Reply 6
Original post by Sir Cumference
After everything she says reply with, "I am rubber you are glue.". That should work.

what does that mean lol
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't engage her.

i dont have to, she engages me. i dont even want to argue but i have to defend myself
Reply 8
Original post by OR321
Yeah I get that. Fortunately I’ve never had proper family issues so I’m not sure what to say. Maybe just walk out of the room when she starts throwing a b*tch fit. Can I ask how old she is?

shes a grown ass woman, almost 24 with a kid and im 19. she shouts it across the house to the point where not saying something back is pretty much being cowardly and submissive which is what i dont want. when ive done something that pisses her off. for example; if i forgot to clean the bath after myself, she will call me every name under the sun and really try to belittle me instead of asking me to clean up.
Reply 9
Original post by XOR_
Just say.. "wow you're so smart" but not in a patronizing way like make it legit.

thats not a bad idea lol, but do i just keep repeating that or what
thats not a bad idea lol, but do i just keep repeating that or what

Up to you. Could change it up a little whilst saying basically the same thing.
Reply 11
People's Elbow

Your "argument" sounds like it's a vapid insult slinging match. The way you win one of those is very different from the way you win a real argument. To win an insult slinging match, one must consider the 1st rule of improvisation "Yes, and...". This is how elegant banter is crafted. Behold this example:
- "You're so dumb you'd go into a shop and steal a free sample."
- "I'm all about a bargain!"
Then you can follow it up with an insult of your own. Watch comedy shows to get a sense of timing and know what sort of humour you like. Practice with friends too! Insult all your friends!

1) Silent treatment whilst she's banging on (whilst planning good response in your head;
2) Wait for her to shut up;
3) Fire away.
Original post by AW_1983
1) Silent treatment whilst she's banging on (whilst planning good response in your head).
2) Wait for her to shut up,
3) Fire away,
4) "No u."

Fixed your low effort post. You're welcome.
Original post by Trust Orang
Fixed your low effort post. You're welcome.

***Silence***
if she is going on about X you just say....

"this isn't about X is it ?"

so...."you always squeeze the toothpaste in the middle"

"this isn't about toothpaste is it ?"

or.... "you never close the curtains in the lounge"

"this isn't about curtains is it ?"

YOU WIN
Original post by AW_1983
***Silence***

Thanks for this case study in dazzling wit. Looks like we've proved you're not qualified to post in this topic.

...And that's how it's done folks :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by the bear
if she is going on about X you just say....

"this isn't about X is it ?"

so...."you always squeeze the toothpaste in the middle"

"this isn't about toothpaste is it ?"

or.... "you never close the curtains in the lounge"

"this isn't about curtains is it ?"

YOU WIN

but if she brings up something i did, then it kind of is about that lol
To neutralise her insults, just say:

“I’m sorry I’m not the sister you’d like me to be.” And then (this is the difficult bit) say nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest