The Student Room Group

Help - want to move out of joint tenancy

To cut a long story short, I want to move out of a 2 bedroom flat in private rented halls whilst my flatmate does not. I have no problems with my flatmate but with the flat itself. Its a high rise building and the flat is on the 25th floor, and the bedrooms are basically cupboards with no windows. Im getting increasingly homesick and anxious just being up there, and cant see out another year like this. i really need to leave. What are my options?
Original post by chrisgrove999
To cut a long story short, I want to move out of a 2 bedroom flat in private rented halls whilst my flatmate does not. I have no problems with my flatmate but with the flat itself. Its a high rise building and the flat is on the 25th floor, and the bedrooms are basically cupboards with no windows. Im getting increasingly homesick and anxious just being up there, and cant see out another year like this. i really need to leave. What are my options?

Well, it depends on your tenancy contract. Is your contract due to end soon? If so, it should be easy enough to find another place and move into it. Regardless of what your flatmate thinks, if your contract is finished there is no obligation for you to re-sign and stay.
(edited 4 years ago)
No we have literally moved in 2 weeks ago but already i can’t stand it. there is a procedure for leaving where it’s like halls but it’s much easier if we found a new place together.
Original post by chrisgrove999
No we have literally moved in 2 weeks ago but already i can’t stand it. there is a procedure for leaving where it’s like halls but it’s much easier if we found a new place together.

What does your contract say about the tenant terminating the contract early? You'd usually be expected to find a replacement tenant, but I'm not sure how that would be affected by the joint part of the tenancy.

Quick Reply

Latest