The Student Room Group

Extracurriculars for Economics

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to make my application for an economics course at university stronger? I know getting good grades is important, but I want to try and boost my application further. At the moment, I already do a lot of further reading, maths competitions, volunteering in a 3rd world country & have a leadership position within this CCA which helps to raise money for this country. What else would you recommend I do?
I am an international student, and where I live I don't have any opportunities to attend seminars or whatnot on economics, sadly.

edit: i also do some unrelated things, like DofE Bronze, play 3 instruments (2 to grade 8, 1 to grade 5), first desk viola in my school orchestra, attended a youth empowerement conference on leadership, badminton, work with special needs kids at this local centre
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by confuzzledteen
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to make my application for an economics course at university stronger? I know getting good grades is important, but I want to try and boost my application further. At the moment, I already do a lot of further reading, maths competitions, volunteering in a 3rd world country & have a leadership position within this CCA which helps to raise money for this country. What else would you recommend I do?
I am an international student, and where I live I don't have any opportunities to attend seminars or whatnot on economics, sadly.

edit: i also do some unrelated things, like DofE Bronze, play 3 instruments (2 to grade 8, 1 to grade 5), first desk viola in my school orchestra, attended a youth empowerement conference on leadership, badminton, work with special needs kids at this local centre

Well first of all, you have already done a lot of relevant things, especially the further reading and maths competitions. Even if you do not have opportunities to attend seminars, there are still a lot of subject-related extracurriculars that you could be doing. For example, reading more books, blogs (there are a lot of macro blogs in particular that I could recommend), articles, magazines (The Economist), listening to podcasts (quite a few economics podcasts), watching video lectures online on YouTube, entering essay competitions - a lot of these can be done from the comfort of your own home.
Original post by tomftutor
Well first of all, you have already done a lot of relevant things, especially the further reading and maths competitions. Even if you do not have opportunities to attend seminars, there are still a lot of subject-related extracurriculars that you could be doing. For example, reading more books, blogs (there are a lot of macro blogs in particular that I could recommend), articles, magazines (The Economist), listening to podcasts (quite a few economics podcasts), watching video lectures online on YouTube, entering essay competitions - a lot of these can be done from the comfort of your own home.

Thank you so much for the reply! :smile:
It'd be a massive help if you could recommend those blogs - I'd appreciate it loads x
Tbh, I'm really interested in Game Theory, and if you go onto YouTube & search "Game Theory with Ben Polak" by YaleCourses, I've watched all 24 videos which are basically the lectures recorded, each about an hour. How do I write this into my PS though, as I don't think that it counts as a qualification? Or would it be better to just keep this fact for the interview?
Furthermore, I sent an essay in over a month ago to this competition, writing about how my country should diversify its economy in order to overcome the sustainability issue we face (that of resource depletion). I did not win though. Do I have to win the competition to write about having entered it?
All the activities you've done are great! Try to tailor more subject related activities to economics and keep in mind 80% of your personal statement should be academic. This is by listing the readings that you have done, any criticisms on it, you can find contrasting economic views' as well. How I did it is that I pinpoint key contents of my favorite topics for example, globalisation and attached the relevant things I've done in uncovering and learning that said concept. For example, you said you watched lecture videos of the Game Theory and you can incorporate this into your ps, read an additional book too it if you'd like. Also, you dont have to win an essay competition to put it in your ps! I entered the Royal Economics Society Essay, just participating is enough. If you're applying next year, keep a lookout for economic essays competitions, there are loads. My friend has also done an online university course from Columbia University and you can try to find an online economic course if you have the time. In terms of your experiences, try to list only the best and relevant ones in your ps, your interview would only be them asking you to elaborate though you can add in experiences that have gone unmentioned in your ps. One useful tip I got when it comes to writing your ps, 'show them dont tell them!' Just listing off your readings ++ experiences dont work, you need to further elaborate and show your passion.

What year are you applying to uni and what unis are you aiming for if may ask? I'm in the middle of writing my ps as well and I only got two more paragraphs to go! hehe I wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending