The Student Room Group
what do you mean? it doesn’t matter if you’re unemployed. as long as you can afford a phone contract you can buy one.
Reply 2
Original post by bubblecat
what do you mean? it doesn’t matter if you’re unemployed. as long as you can afford a phone contract you can buy one.

I can, but I know I have to be credit checked and I’ve heard they don’t accept the unemployed.
Buy a phone and go pay as you go instead
Original post by jhkt
I can, but I know I have to be credit checked and I’ve heard they don’t accept the unemployed.

Credit checks just check your ability to repay the company. If your income is over the threshold, you should be fine. I’d avoid EE as they can be the most fussy. And I’d recommend Three or o2 for leniency. Also, try mobilephonesdirect before signing up directly to one of the phone carriers. I’m glad i did as i managed to get my phone plus a free gift (i chose a nintendo switch) with 30gb more then advertised on o2 and it was £6 a month cheaper! They also do fantastic black friday offers if you can wait till then?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Credit checks just check your ability to repay the company. If your income is over the threshold, you should be fine. I’d avoid EE as they can be the most fussy. And I’d recommend Three or o2 for leniency. Also, try mobilephonesdirect before signing up directly to one of the phone carriers. I’m glad i did as i managed to get my phone plus a free gift (i chose a nintendo switch) with 30gb more then advertised on o2 and it was £6 a month cheaper! They also do fantastic black friday offers if you can wait till then?

I’ll check that out, thank you. How about giffgaff? Do you have any idea how fussy they are?
If you don't have a credit history then you're going to have a hard time trying to find a phone contract. I had this issue too, ended up having to save up and get one outright instead.
Original post by jhkt
I’ll check that out, thank you. How about giffgaff? Do you have any idea how fussy they are?

Giffgaff are owned by o2 so i would expect the same leniency. And no problem hun
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Giffgaff are owned by o2 so i would expect the same leniency. And no problem hun

Thank you ill try it out!!
Original post by jhkt
Hi. I’m 18, and I start my access course with OU in two weeks. so at the moment, I don’t have a job which is due to depression / anxiety. But, I really need a new phone. I have the funds to pay monthly but I’m wondering if it’s even possible? If so could you guys give me some places to try out?

Thank you so much. 😁

Its normally ok unless you have a bad history isnt it? Regardless: Give it one try (not more) and if unsuccessful it's PAYG. No big deal.

Original post by bubblecat

Its a form of borrowing/credit so some people aren't accepted.
Reply 10
Hi guys. Just wanted to say, I successfully ordered my phone. I got the purple iPhone 11, which will be a big upgrade from my 7 plus! I got it with giffgaff!
as long as you have a debit card, the phone company won't care whether you're employed or not 😂
Reply 12
On benefits street, they all have iPhones so I think you’ll be fine. Never heard of this being a problem. So long as you don’t have a bad history of not paying your debts and you can actually afford the £40 a month or whatever.
Reply 13
Original post by biggyK
On benefits street, they all have iPhones so I think you’ll be fine. Never heard of this being a problem. So long as you don’t have a bad history of not paying your debts and you can actually afford the £40 a month or whatever.

this reply made me laugh so much! I got accepted instantly! I don’t know what my fuss was about
I’m a student with OU too and I have high credit rating, and funds to pay for the goods however no where will take me on for a contract because I’m a student… I had to get my contract in my partners name :/ pretty crap to be honest

Latest

Trending

Trending