The Student Room Group

Asap a-level option switch help!

Hi everyone I need some ASAP option switch advice. I started my A levels this year and I’ve already switched one. Im taking Biology, Psychology, BTEC business and chemistry. I switched psychology from maths and now I’m starting to struggle in chemistry. I only have 1 week to switch my options and am aware that if I switch chemistry medicine is basically a closed door to me. If I’m struggling with the workload now, is it worth switching or not? I don’t know what I want to do but I know that if I want to get into a good university, my BTEC will probably need to go and that is why I am stressed to find the right 3. I’m quite an anxious person in general but not doing well really gets me. I’m not sure if this is an anxious frenzy or if I really don’t like it. What kind of options do people enjoy? And what is people’s advice.

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcrabt21
Hi everyone I need some ASAP option switch advice. I started my A levels this year and I’ve already switched one. Im taking Biology, Psychology, BTEC business and chemistry. I switched psychology from maths and now I’m starting to struggle in chemistry. I only have 1 week to switch my options and am aware that if I switch chemistry medicine is basically a closed door to me. If I’m struggling with the workload now, is it worth switching or not? I don’t know what I want to do but I know that if I want to get into a good university, my BTEC will probably need to go and that is why I am stressed to find the right 3. I’m quite an anxious person in general but not doing well really gets me. I’m not sure if this is an anxious frenzy or if I really don’t like it. What kind of options do people enjoy? And what is people’s advice.

Thank you!

are there any other careers that you would like to do except medicine
Reply 2
Original post by ChameleonRun
are there any other careers that you would like to do except medicine

I don't even know if that what I want to do at the moment. I have no idea what career I want to pursue
I don't even know if that what I want to do at the moment. I have no idea what career I want to pursue

spend today looking at jobs on https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

then type the course on https://university.which.co.uk/courses and you can see the offer rate and what the most popular a level grades are and what they achieved
Reply 4
spend today looking at jobs on https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

then type the course on https://university.which.co.uk/courses and you can see the offer rate and what the most popular a level grades are and what they achieved

Would keeping the BTEC business and doing Biology and Psychology hinder my chances of getting into a university do you believe?
Would keeping the BTEC business and doing Biology and Psychology hinder my chances of getting into a university do you believe?

maybe it might be better to do a level economics or a level business studies
Reply 6
maybe it might be better to do a level economics or a level business studies

They didn't offer it at my school sadly... there's also BTEC health and social care, but again, would having a BTEC be a hindrance?
A-level chemistry will only get harder so you may need to rethink that if you’re struggling already. Although you also need to think about whether you just need to adjust to the A-level workload and expectations...only you know what you’re capable of. I think if you’re considering careers such as medicine then 3 science/maths A-levels would be more benefiting to you than a BTEC in Business...but that’s just my thoughts. Chemistry is good fun so try to stick with it if you think you can😊
Reply 8
Original post by sciencequestion8
A-level chemistry will only get harder so you may need to rethink that if you’re struggling already. Although you also need to think about whether you just need to adjust to the A-level workload and expectations...only you know what you’re capable of. I think if you’re considering careers such as medicine then 3 science/maths A-levels would be more benefiting to you than a BTEC in Business...but that’s just my thoughts. Chemistry is good fun so try to stick with it if you think you can😊

I'm just really struggling and I don't quite know what I want to do with my life. I know A-levels get harder but the work load for chemistry has just become too much. I am definitely dropping down to 3 at the end of the day, I would've liked it to be chemistry, biology and psychology but I'm just super stressed out whether chemistry is the right choice for me or not. I'd like to do it but I just feel as though I am not good enough some times, especially as everyone else in my class is also amazing at chemistry.
Doing the 3 a levels and dropping the BTEC will give you the most options. I would keep biology, psychology and chemistry as the sciences open up so many career options from engineering to medicine. You do not need to do buisness to do business as uni anyway so I would say stick with the sciences as you will be keeping your options open. Good luck!!!
Original post by star1812
Doing the 3 a levels and dropping the BTEC will give you the most options. I would keep biology, psychology and chemistry as the sciences open up so many career options from engineering to medicine. You do not need to do buisness to do business as uni anyway so I would say stick with the sciences as you will be keeping your options open. Good luck!!!

if you wanted to work with children or be a teacher you could do the btech in health and social care
I'm just really struggling and I don't quite know what I want to do with my life. I know A-levels get harder but the work load for chemistry has just become too much. I am definitely dropping down to 3 at the end of the day, I would've liked it to be chemistry, biology and psychology but I'm just super stressed out whether chemistry is the right choice for me or not. I'd like to do it but I just feel as though I am not good enough some times, especially as everyone else in my class is also amazing at chemistry.

How did you do in GCSE chemistry? I did average in it at GCSE and I was still unsure when I began my A-levels yet after the 2 years I managed to do great in it due to putting the hours in. Now I’m doing a chemistry degree so it proves perceptions can change when you’re willing to put the effort in. Many students do Biology and Psychology as a combination so they work well together and if you’re good at them then you can focus more time on your chemistry?
Reply 12
Original post by sciencequestion8
How did you do in GCSE chemistry? I did average in it at GCSE and I was still unsure when I began my A-levels yet after the 2 years I managed to do great in it due to putting the hours in. Now I’m doing a chemistry degree so it proves perceptions can change when you’re willing to put the effort in. Many students do Biology and Psychology as a combination so they work well together and if you’re good at them then you can focus more time on your chemistry?

I did combined science and got a 98. If I do decide to keep chemistry, do you have any tips for doing well? What other A levels did you take alongside chemistry? I just feel that I will never get a break at this point, and am feeling a little overwhelmed. Do you have tips for notes etc? anything is appreciated!
Reply 13
if you wanted to work with children or be a teacher you could do the btech in health and social care

I have considered clinical psychology but I'm not sure, would that assist that? Would keeping my BTEC business be a hindrance for doing so?
Reply 14
Original post by star1812

Thank you very much for the opinion!
I have considered clinical psychology but I'm not sure, would that assist that? Would keeping my BTEC business be a hindrance for doing so?

ok to do clinical psycology

1. Do a BSc Psychology for example at Manchester Uni https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/00653/bsc-psychology/

We require grades AAB including a science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Psychology). General Studies is welcomed but not included as part of the standard offer.

This will take 3 years

Then once you have graduated you have to do a ClinPsyD Doctorate in Clinical Psychology for example at Manchester Uni https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/programmes/list/10173/clinpsyd-doctorate-in-clinical-psychology/programme-details/

A degree (minimum Upper Second (2:1)) in single honours Psychology, or joint honours where psychology constitutes at least fifty per cent of the course, is required.
The degree must have already been awarded at the time of application; candidates who are currently undergraduates will not be short-listed for interview.

Candidates must establish their eligibility for Graduate Basis for Chartership (GBC) with the British Psychological Society before making an application.

A minimum of 12 months' paid FTE clinically-relevant experience, such as work in a healthcare setting or clinical research, is also essential.

Formal consent to participate as service users in practical and clinical teaching will be required as a condition of entry to the programme.

However you need 12 months experience

So this will take a minimum of 7 years minimum which is a long time but a very rewarding career
I did combined science and got a 98. If I do decide to keep chemistry, do you have any tips for doing well? What other A levels did you take alongside chemistry? I just feel that I will never get a break at this point, and am feeling a little overwhelmed. Do you have tips for notes etc? anything is appreciated!

Alongside chemistry I did Biology, physics and maths. Two things I did which I think contributed to my success in chemistry were firstly past papers...literally do as many as you can find online and go through them properly afterwards...this is good close to exam time although I did them earlier on in the year and redid the same ones near exam time. You can even just go through and pick out the questions you’ve learnt the content for.
secondly YouTube was my favourite resource. There are soo many A-level chemistry videos on there where teachers go through concepts and other videos where they go through entire exam papers so you are learning how to properly pass an exam...I wasn’t a fan of textbooks so this was a great way to learn and I could easily transfer what I watched onto paper in my own exams as questions are always very similar! Any more questions just ask!!

I remember one YouTube account I used was called “Eliot rintoul” honestly the best thing I found during alevels!!
(edited 4 years ago)
I think the best option for you would be to do A level Bio and Psych + BTEC Business. Don't do Chemistry because then you'll just get a terrible mark and go to a much worse university. If you really, really want to maximise your chances, do what I've recommended. You'll seriously do much better as a result. Play to your strengths.
Reply 18
Original post by Quick-use
I think the best option for you would be to do A level Bio and Psych + BTEC Business. Don't do Chemistry because then you'll just get a terrible mark and go to a much worse university. If you really, really want to maximise your chances, do what I've recommended. You'll seriously do much better as a result. Play to your strengths.

My parents really want me to drop business though because it's a BTEC and they think that I will hinder my chances into getting into a good university. The other option is that I switch my BTEC business for sociology and see how that plays out? I know I am only 2 weeks into the chemistry course and I may end up loving it but at this point in time its a lot of hard work.
My parents really want me to drop business though because it's a BTEC and they think that I will hinder my chances into getting into a good university. The other option is that I switch my BTEC business for sociology and see how that plays out? I know I am only 2 weeks into the chemistry course and I may end up loving it but at this point in time its a lot of hard work.

sociology is a good a level to have

Quick Reply

Latest